PDA

View Full Version : Colours of four body humors

Luxus
08-25-2017, 05:58 PM
In ancient medicine they believed all illness was caused by excess of one of the four humours.

Black bile = Melancholic

Green phlegm/mucus = Phlegmatic

yellow bile = Choleric

Red blood = Sanguine

Are those colours a pure coincidence when you consider

Black = Raven

Peacocks tail = predominance of Green

Queen = Yellow developing to white

King = Red

Hmmm are the colours in our art entirely symbolic ?

Kiorionis
08-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Nope. No symbolism involved.

Luxus
08-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Nope. No symbolism involved.

And you know this how?

Kiorionis
08-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Through practical experience :)

The symbolism behind the colour can be used to understand hermetic philosophy on the mental and energetic planes, but when it comes to extrenal/internal lab work and human health through detoxification, they are quite visible.

As it applies to the humours, I've expelled black bile from my system, as well as green and yellow bile, and red "bile" as blood is quite common

There is also white bile and phlegm, as well as clear bile.

Luxus
08-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Let me be more specific, what I meant was in the production of the grand arcanum, the philosophers stone it goes through four colours untill it finally reaches perfection in red.

The practical experience to know if these colours are symbolic or actual can only be obtained in two ways:

1, You have the grand arcanum in your possession and witnessed the colour changes with your own two eyes.

2, Through reading Alchemists works you feel are genuine in which they specifically state the colours are actual (or not)and not symbolic. Again it would have to be an alchemist who has seen with his own two eyes and done with his own two hands.

Kiorionis
08-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Haha and here I thought you were making a correspondence between the alchemical colours and the four humors ;)

From what i know, technically, the "peacocks tail" is multicoloured, not predominantly green. Green is the 'green lion' phase.

Coleridgean
08-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Are you sure it is green for phlegm and not white ? Ive read white. And if so then the colors follow albedo, citrinitas, rubedo, and nigredo. This is if there are four stages of the stone, though I personally have more interest in the Rosicrucian seven stages or Ripley's twelve gates

Phlegmatic - water
Choleric - fire
Sanguine - air
Melancholic - earth