PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Ens

Franklin Fehrman
09-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Last year, 2016, I collected a sufficient quantity of angel fire, or the water pulled from the night air. I have held onto the angel fire until securing a quantity of fresh lemon balm. Yesterday, Thursday, I collected and macerated the balm in a blender, and poured over it the angel fire. Interesting quality about the angel water is that it has a "greasy", viscous-ness to it. Anyways, I don't have a large quantity of vegetable mercury (7X distilled, 98.5% ABV from wine), perhaps 200 mL. The angel fire and melissa are at bout 3 1/2 cups. So, my plan is to macerate the melissa in the angel fire for another two weeks or so, until past the full moon, then distill more vegetable mercury sufficient to collect the sulphur from the angel fire (as a series of floating the alcohol on top, and allowing the sulphur in the angel fire to be absorbed by the alcohol until the alcohol is faintly or not tinctured anymore), and collect the sulphur from the angel fire.

Further, I will then perform a water bath distillation with a short train, preferably during the next waxing phase to finish the melissa ens.

Schmuldvich
09-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Last year, 2016, I collected a sufficient quantity of angel fire, or the water pulled from the night air.

Very neat!

Is this 'angel fire' the same thing as dew, or is 'angel fire' something different?

What are you ultimately hoping to accomplish with this experiment?

Franklin Fehrman
09-01-2017, 08:49 PM
I imagine it would be considered dew. It is, from what I have read, the non-potentialized niter. It was collected using the potassium carbonate method and collected in glass. As far as the experiment? I have read the famous description from the French alchemist of Louis the XIV (I think that was his position), and am interested in trying it myself.

Dragon's Tail
09-02-2017, 02:10 AM
Franklin Fehrman,

I always thought this method sounded cool, but I was under the impression that the "angel" water would run clear when depleted, and could be separated and used again. You will be distilling the alcohol to collect the Sulphur? I wonder if a dark feculence will be liberated from the sulphur during the process, while it's being concentrated. Also, watch your distillate toward the end, and if it changes, you might want to collect the other fluid separately. "Tears" in the still head would be an indication.

I haven't done the spagyric work using this method, but just some things to keep an eye out for. I look forward to seeing your results.

Ghislain
09-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Has anyone done a control using distilled water?

Ghislain

Dragon's Tail
09-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Has anyone done a control using distilled water?

Ghislain

Distilled water, if Franklin is prescribing the procedure that I think, is not an acceptable substitute. Perhaps an oil, like mineral or olive oil, might work, but that's not really the same either. You would need a substance that doesn't mix with alcohol to thoroughly compare results.

I've been considering using one "water" as a solvent, and another non-miscible as a filter to drop as many impurities from the starting tincture as possible. I wonder if anyone has used the "blood" and "milk" of a plant to this end.

Franklin Fehrman
09-04-2017, 03:44 AM
I think using distilled water and making a regular herbal tea would work. I understand what you mean. I've heard the angel fire can be used again.

From what I gather, the alcohol will suck the sulphur of the plant into itself, leaving the angel fire "clear" of any sulphur. But I would imagine that simply because it looks clear, does not mean that the angel fire itself has become uncorrupted. From what I've read, the angel fire can be run through a distillation train, leaving behind any dross that remained dissolved in the angel fire water (dissolved potassium carbonate, dissolved stuffs from the plant). At that point, the water would cease to have, I imagine, the alkalinity granted it by the pot carb and would be similar in disposition to water collected from a rain storm that had ceased to touch the ground, or anything of a grounding nature. That being said, it would still contain (again, I believe), some of the niter found in the original night air.

As for the tincted alcohol the rests on the angel fire, yes, I will distill that using a short train, as close to an alembic as possible (maybe it's time to buy a glass alembic), using a water bath to gently distill (see: aggressively evaporate) the alcohol into another container. As you mentioned, when the product in the boiling vessel becomes the consistency of a very runny honey, I will stop the procedure and collect from the boiling vessel into another container. The alcohol that is distilled off, I will keep, and will "purify" it by rectifying it another 7 times. This should get rid of any of the vegetable signature from the melissa. I figure this because I initially stripped the vegetable signature off the mercury from its original body, that of wine.

Dragon's Tail
09-04-2017, 04:54 AM
If you are going through all the trouble, why not take the extracted alcohol and give it another go at the angel tincture, to extract more, then add all of it back to the "honey?" You should be able to repeat until you clear the color from the water, or at least until you get a nasty phlem in your angel water. Not everyone has the best experience with this method.

There's another thread here where someone was using a true "fixed niter" and they were able to extract without difficulty, using the solution on both herbs and metals, and it seemed to clean up easy. Potassium Carbonate I believe is going to fight you a bit, but in the reading it certainly works.

Franklin Fehrman
09-04-2017, 07:49 AM
If you are going through all the trouble, why not take the extracted alcohol and give it another go at the angel tincture, to extract more, then add all of it back to the "honey?" You should be able to repeat until you clear the color from the water, or at least until you get a nasty phlem in your angel water. Not everyone has the best experience with this method.

There's another thread here where someone was using a true "fixed niter" and they were able to extract without difficulty, using the solution on both herbs and metals, and it seemed to clean up easy. Potassium Carbonate I believe is going to fight you a bit, but in the reading it certainly works.

The first is a very good idea. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it. This fixed niter post, do you remember the author?

Dragon's Tail
09-04-2017, 01:37 PM
The first is a very good idea. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it. This fixed niter post, do you remember the author?

Here you go: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?1259-nitre-fixed-by-DSS