PDA

View Full Version : Le Clefs du Cabinet Hérmetique

Weidenfeld
01-28-2018, 12:44 AM
I‘m not quite sure but I have been on search for another source coming up by Fulcanelli (or maybe the one you disguise ?) for many years, it‘s

„La clef du cabinet hermétique“ !

At that time (20 years or more) it was even not mentioned in certain collections or catalogues ... but now we have another situation where huge collections of such mss are available for almost everyone who‘s interested in and there is no space for slynesses anymore ...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Aham
01-28-2018, 02:27 AM
I‘m not quite sure but I have been on search for another source coming up by Fulcanelli (or maybe the one you disguise ?) for many years, it‘s

At that time (20 years or more) it was even not mentioned in certain collections or catalogues ... but now we have another situation where huge collections of such mss are available for almost everyone who‘s interested in and there is no space for slynesses anymore ...

Weidenfeld, not sure I fully understood what you're saying so let me rephrase what you said and please let me know if I've got it right.

You're suggesting that there's a book called "La clef du cabinet hermétique" link (http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/69a4c6a0-7b23-0131-67d8-58d385a7b928#/?uuid=698da3a0-7b23-0131-b26f-58d385a7b928) written by Fulcanelli(?) that was not available 20+ years ago but now available. Also, there are "huge collections" of Fulcanelli's(?) work available for everyone interested in his notes/books. If the latter is accurate, would you please point us to the location(s) of these notes/collections.

Thanks in advance

Mods: If this post belongs in a different thread, I'm fine with it.

Weidenfeld
01-28-2018, 09:42 AM
Weidenfeld, not sure I fully understood what you're saying so let me rephrase what you said and please let me know if I've got it right.

Aham, you obviously misunderstood me ... the questioned Ms is three or four times mentioned in Fulcanelli's "Le Mystere des Cathedrales".

For example pag. 31 as a footnote:
3) La Clef du Cabinet hermétique. Mss. du XVIII° siècle.
Anon., s. l. n. d.

or pag. 37:

« L’eau dont nous nous servons, écrit l’auteur anonyme de la Clef du Cabinet Hermétique, est une eau qui renferme toutes les vertus du ciel et dela terre ; c’est pourquoi elle est le Dissolvant général de toute la Nature ;

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/69a4c6a0-7b23-0131-67d8-58d385a7b928#/?uuid=698da3a0-7b23-0131-b26f-58d385a7b928

Florius Frammel
01-28-2018, 11:00 AM
I guess there is no translation of le clefs du cabinet hérmetique available yet?

Weidenfeld
01-28-2018, 12:22 PM
I guess there is no translation of le clefs du cabinet hérmetique available yet?

Right !

Illen's project seem not be affected at all since those ones who know French might read the original Ms, all others should wait for the translation anyway :)

JDP
01-28-2018, 02:36 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------

That manuscript is in fact now available thanks to us (I, who "discovered" the surviving copy of it located in the New York Public Library, and two other people who collaborated in getting the EXPENSIVE fee of having it scanned), not because it was graciously made available for free by some charitable institution. Had it not been for us, most people would still not know that a surviving copy of this treatise actually existed! (Fulcanelli's copy of this text, the only other one known to exist, has been "missing" for decades, the last person to see it was Canseliet, and no one else seems to have seen it since.)

JDP
01-28-2018, 02:37 PM

We are working on it, as well as a transcription of the French text. It is almost finished, it is in "review" stage. It will be published sometime later this year (hopefully.)

Aham
01-28-2018, 03:02 PM
We are working on it, as well as a transcription of the French text. It is almost finished, it is in "review" stage. It will be published sometime later this year (hopefully.)

JDP, are you and iAC collaborating on this English translation or is your work effort entirely separate?

Aham
01-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Aham, you obviously misunderstood me ... the questioned Ms is three or four times mentioned in Fulcanelli's "Le Mystere des Cathedrales".

For example pag. 31 as a footnote:
3) La Clef du Cabinet hermétique. Mss. du XVIII° siècle.
Anon., s. l. n. d.

or pag. 37:

« L’eau dont nous nous servons, écrit l’auteur anonyme de la Clef du Cabinet Hermétique, est une eau qui renferme toutes les vertus du ciel et dela terre ; c’est pourquoi elle est le Dissolvant général de toute la Nature ;

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/69a4c6a0-7b23-0131-67d8-58d385a7b928#/?uuid=698da3a0-7b23-0131-b26f-58d385a7b928

I guess what you were saying was that the manuscript in question was referenced 3-4 times in Fulcanelli's "Le Mystere des Cathedrals." Thanks Weidenfeld.

JDP
01-28-2018, 03:56 PM
JDP, are you and iAC collaborating on this English translation or is your work effort entirely separate?

Yes, he is in fact one of the people I mentioned before who helped defray the cost of having the manuscript scanned.

Florius Frammel
01-28-2018, 05:20 PM
That's nice, JDP!
I would appreciate a note when the translation is available.
Thanks!

Schmuldvich
01-29-2018, 05:52 AM
That manuscript is in fact now available thanks to us (I, who "discovered" the surviving copy of it located in the New York Public Library, and two other people who collaborated in getting the EXPENSIVE fee of having it scanned), not because it was graciously made available for free by some charitable institution. Had it not been for us, most people would still not know that a surviving copy of this treatise actually existed! (Fulcanelli's copy of this text, the only other one known to exist, has been "missing" for decades, the last person to see it was Canseliet, and no one else seems to have seen it since.)

Yes, he is in fact one of the people I mentioned before who helped defray the cost of having the manuscript scanned.

About how much did y'all end up having to pay when it was all said and done?

JDP
01-29-2018, 02:06 PM
About how much did y'all end up having to pay when it was all said and done?

Quite a bit... Libraries do not have a tendency of scanning entire manuscripts for free, except when if it is for their own benefit. And in this case there was no other choice, as this is the only surviving copy of this text still known to exist (Fulcanelli's copy, the only other one that we have notice of, seems to have "vanished" from the face of the Earth! Canseliet saw it and gave a description of it, but that was decades ago, and no one since seems to have seen it again), so we were at the "mercy" of the NYPL; whatever they requested as a fee for scanning the manuscript we had to agree to it.

Schmuldvich
01-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Quite a bit... Libraries do not have a tendency of scanning entire manuscripts for free, except when if it is for their own benefit. And in this case there was no other choice, as this is the only surviving copy of this text still known to exist (Fulcanelli's copy, the only other one that we have notice of, seems to have "vanished" from the face of the Earth! Canseliet saw it and gave a description of it, but that was decades ago, and no one since seems to have seen it again), so we were at the "mercy" of the NYPL; whatever they requested as a fee for scanning the manuscript we had to agree to it.

$10, $100, $1000, $5000?? "Expensive" and "Quite a bit" are both so vague and relative to where one is at in life...

How long did it take from initial request to completion for the NYPL to get it to you?

JDP
01-29-2018, 02:48 PM
$10, $100, $1000, $5000?? "Expensive" and "Quite a bit" are both so vague and relative to where one is at in life...

How long did it take from initial request to completion for the NYPL to get it to you?

Why do you want to know the actual fee? Suffice it to say that it was in the "three digits" realm.

It took a few months for them to actually carry out the processing of the order and scanning of the manuscript, since we started making our inquiries about this in mid December, and the staff in charge of reproductions was going away for the holidays, so we had to wait until January for them to continue responding to our questions and requests.

Salazius
02-01-2018, 02:52 PM
JDP you made a great thing for the Alchemical Community. Bravo and thank you very much.

Have you decided which publisher you will contact in order to make it available in french and english?

JDP
02-01-2018, 03:51 PM
JDP you made a great thing for the Alchemical Community. Bravo and thank you very much.

Have you decided which publisher you will contact in order to make it available in french and english?

Aaron Cheak will be in charge of making the final review of the transcription and translation, and then publish it sometime later this year (hopefully.)

http://www.aaroncheak.com/about/

Hellin Hermetist
02-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Good work JDP. I had a quick look over that text. The author says that he knew perfectly how to make the Stone, but he had never made the experience with his own hands, because he lacked the necessary time and energy. That sounds suspicious. In another point he says that there are two ways to make the stone. One is the way of the art, in which nature plays only a small role. The other is the way of Nature and the way of the ancients, where Nature works for the most part by herself and the only thing the artist do is helping Nature. Now comes the interesting part. He says that the first way, the one of Art, makes use of common metallic gold and common metallic mercury. The natural way, on the other hand, makes use of the philosophical matter. He says that Philalethes has described mainly the first way, the one invented by the moderns, which use gold and metallic mercury. But he has meddled some procedure of the natural way as well, to confuse the reader. That sounds more suspicious. Those and some other things have made me cast doubts on the credibility of that author.

Aham
02-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Why do you want to know the actual fee? Suffice it to say that it was in the "three digits" realm.

It took a few months for them to actually carry out the processing of the order and scanning of the manuscript, since we started making our inquiries about this in mid December, and the staff in charge of reproductions was going away for the holidays, so we had to wait until January for them to continue responding to our questions and requests.

JDP, if you need something scanned at the NYPL, please let me know. I do go to NY a few times a year and if time permits, spend some time making copies or find someone that is willing to do the work. Just depends on the library location.

JDP
02-01-2018, 08:04 PM
JDP, if you need something scanned at the NYPL, please let me know. I do go to NY a few times a year and if time permits, spend some time making copies or find someone that is willing to do the work. Just depends on the library location.

Thanks, that will do for regular books and articles, but when it comes to rare manuscripts & books they just don't allow anyone but the staff to copy them.

Aham
02-02-2018, 01:56 AM
Thanks, that will do for regular books and articles, but when it comes to rare manuscripts & books they just don't allow anyone but the staff to copy them.

Fair point. Wondering if smoozing the staff helps :D

Florius Frammel
08-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Fair point. Wondering if smoozing the staff helps :D

Any news on this topic here?

JDP
08-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Any news on this topic here?

Still working on it. Some parts of our transcription have problems that will be dealt with before sending it to the publisher. Naturally, parts of the translation will be changed according to the final changes that will be made to the transcription of the French text.

z0 K
08-28-2018, 09:50 PM
I'm glad you are enjoying the book, Florius! It's also good to see that it's now available on Amazon and a more affordable price. The earlier books were limited edition, and thus a little more expensive. That seems to be the trend these days - to issue a limited edition version followed by a much more affordable paperback version. They both contain the very same information.

The next important book (also heavily used by Fulcanelli) to be released is "La Clef du Cabinet Hermetique". I was hoping that it would have been published by late Spring, but because of various ongoing issues, it looks like it might take some time yet.

I went to order a copy from amazon just now and it appears they are temporarily out of stock.

Illen A. Cluf
08-28-2018, 10:17 PM
I went to order a copy from amazon just now and it appears they are temporarily out of stock.

They must be selling fast! Perhaps my publisher only has a small quantity printed at a time.

Illen A. Cluf
08-29-2018, 01:11 AM

I just heard back from the Publisher, and he said that the "temporarily out of stock" statement by Amazon is sort of a misnomer. The book is actually "print on demand", so it should be available as soon as it is printed.

He also said that there are still copies of the limited edition available, should anyone be so inclined.

I understand that he's also doing a podcast interview on the book this Friday with Awani, our local podcast expert :-)

z0 K
08-29-2018, 03:47 AM
I just heard back from the Publisher, and he said that the "temporarily out of stock" statement by Amazon is sort of a misnomer. The book is actually "print on demand", so it should be available as soon as it is printed.

He also said that there are still copies of the limited edition available, should anyone be so inclined.

I understand that he's also doing a podcast interview on the book this Friday with Awani, our local podcast expert :-)

Thanks I'll be looking forward to the interview as well.

Mr Curious
08-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Is this in English or in French?

Illen A. Cluf
08-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Is this in English or in French?

It includes both the French and the English translation.