View Full Version : The chemical process that causes salts to drink mercury

Dragon's Tail
02-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Hey guys, this might sound like a dumb question, but I can't find a solution online.

I have some "salts" drinking up their share of alcohol. I normally do my mixing in open containers, and while I've known this process happens, watching it is something new to me. The flask sealed itself with some salt trying to escape through the ground joint (it's actually frozen itself shut) while on a very mild heat, as in the typical spagyric process, and in the course of a day or a day and a half, I've watched the liquid inside reduce itself into the solids, as we would expect.

It got me wondering though, if chemistry has any explanation for this behavior. If it does, I can't seem to find one. Esterfication, perhaps? Most things in non-alchemical spagyrics can be explained away easy enough, and while I'm not following the standard protocol (my method of separating the "sulphur" was done without heat), I'm very curious to see if there are any research papers or chemical theories abound that try to explain what happens chemically when our salts drink Sulphur and Mercury.

I'm sure the average chemist would try to convince me that the alcohol is vaporizing through the stopper, but it's on there pretty darn good. I'm gonna go pry it off so I can imbibe again.

03-18-2018, 05:31 AM
Take extra measures to seal the stopper completely.
'Air tight' because moisture escapes through the route of air.