PDA

View Full Version : Cooking and alchemy

theFool
03-18-2009, 02:46 PM
I feel that cooking is closely related to alchemy although I haven't found yet any related website or book explaining how to cook alchemicaly. By seeing cooking from the alchemical viewpoint, you can practice alchemy easily almost every day.
Here are some of mine observations:

-Strong heat seems to "open up" the food and loosen the conection between its "body" and its "essence". If you go too much with heating, you lose the "essence" (spirit?) and you 're left with the dead "body". Not enough heat, will lead to unsufficient loosening, making it difficult for your body to complete the process (The digestive system actually separates the "essence" of the food and adds it to the organism).

-Incubation of the food at low fire (~70 C) after cooking, makes it to mature and its ingredients seem to combine more harmoniously. I usually leave the food in digestion for some time after cooking. Helps to remove the excess water also. Of course, too much time on digestion will make it rot. Lately, I formed the opinion that the whole cooking (for oven foods) should be just a long digestion process with temperature not exceeding 100 C but this is impractical in terms of time required.

-Using wood fire, seems to have an excellent effect on the food. I couldn't replicate its effects in an oven no matter the combinations on heat intensity and duration I tried. Wood fire seems to have a life of its own..

What are your experiences in your kitchen's lab?

Awani
03-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Well food and alchemy are quite related, after all you have to be able to drink the Elixir of Life...

Here is a link on alchemy and diet: The Alchemical Foundation for the Accretion of Substances or Is There Life After Mayonnaise? (http://www.alchemicalgold.com/writings/text3.html)

I move this topic into the general alchemy area (this great topic is 100% alchemical and deserves no place in general discussions)!

:cool:

Salazius
03-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Put an aluminium foil around potatoes, let them in the hot ashes for some time, and ... the taste in incredible, it's delicious !

So, yes, wood fire is special, all fires do not carry the same energy.
That's way, when you work with gaz torch, electrical oven, microwaves, candles, wood fire, hot plate, gaz, it's not the same thing, not the same energy, that's a big part in alchemy.

Give the same matters to cook to two cookers, and ... it will look different, taste different, smell different. The cooker, is the alchemist.

theFool
03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Put an aluminium foil around potatoes, let them in the hot ashes for some time, and ... the taste in incredible, it's delicious !

Yeah, onions behave also very well in aluminium foil too and they 're sweet!

Give the same matters to cook to two cookers, and ... it will look different, taste different, smell different. The cooker, is the alchemist.

I 've observed this mostly when making bread. If I'm in a good mood I get better results than when I'm in a hurry. Of course this could be explained plainly by not giving the proper attention when one is in a hurry (not by subtle influence theories). I think bread is very sensitive to the operator because living yeast microorganisms are involved.

horticult
03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Just put them in ashes, you need no aluminium. on the other hand, I can not be sure, that you ever see potato, except chips.

theFool
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
on the other hand, I can not be sure, that you ever see potato, except chips.

Oops, this seems nasty, if I get the meaning correct. Why you write that?

Salazius
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Onions, very good idea !

Horticult, I know perfectly what potatoes look like ...:D

Seth-Ra
04-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Well as far as books go, Dennis William Hauck's "Sorcerer's stone: beginner's guide to Alchemy" has a section in it about using alchemy for kitchen cooking. Pretty good chapter in fact.

I have a question about using aluminum: i was under the impression aluminum is BAD and not to be used - that it was an "energy sponge" and would destroy all your subtle alchemical energies you put into a substance. Is this not true?

As for a wood fire, i think the subtle difference is on the wood's part, as the wood burns it releases its essence/spirit, and the food absorbs some of it. Perhaps trying different woods on the same recipe would lend some interesting results. ;)

Also i think the alchemists thought-energies effect the food as they make it, just like things in the lab, so youre putting in a "piece of yourself", as it were. (alot of this is talked about in the book i mentioned.)

Just figured id throw in some "food for thought". :D (i know, bad pun. :rolleyes: )
:)

theFool
04-19-2009, 05:38 AM
I have a question about using aluminum: i was under the impression aluminum is BAD and not to be used - that it was an "energy sponge" and would destroy all your subtle alchemical energies you put into a substance. Is this not true?

When you cook in aluminium pan the results are different but I think this happens due to different thermal conductivity. I am not so sensitive to pickup any subtle effects.

Just figured id throw in some "food for thought".
good, lol!

theFool
04-19-2009, 05:57 AM
There is a scientific discipline called "Molecular gastronomy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_gastronomy#cite_note-0)" which takes cooking very seriously. They have a popular recipie for eggs, called the "The 65-degree egg" (http://discovermagazine.com/2006/feb/cooking-for-eggheads/article_view?b_start:int=1&-C=).
They just leave the egg in an 65 degrees Celsius oven for many hours. According to the temperature, you can get the yolk obtain strange characteristics (like being moldable).
This remindes me of the digestion process.