PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Knowledge Acquired Concerning the Cultivation of Gold, Al-‘Iraqi

Kiorionis
07-17-2018, 01:29 AM
When I was in Portland, OR last month I happened across a copy of Al-‘Iraqi’s The Book of Knowledge Acquired Concerning the Cultivation of Gold (https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Book_of_Knowledge_Acquired_Concernin.html?id=n uPxQwAACAAJ), translated by E.J. Holmyard.

If there is enough interest, I can scan it to .pdf and make it available for download. It’s only 50 pages, but quite a good read.

Illen A. Cluf
07-17-2018, 01:38 AM
When I was in Portland, OR last month I happened across a copy of Al-‘Iraqi’s The Book of Knowledge Acquired Concerning the Cultivation of Gold (https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Book_of_Knowledge_Acquired_Concernin.html?id=n uPxQwAACAAJ), translated by E.J. Holmyard.

If there is enough interest, I can scan it to .pdf and make it available for download. It’s only 50 pages, but quite a good read.

That's a very important text. Please do scan it.

JDP
07-17-2018, 02:12 AM

Excellent work, but, as far as I know, Holmyard's translation is still under copyright (that's why it is not available in Google Books), so it is not technically "legal" to make it available in a public forum.

Kiorionis
07-17-2018, 02:16 AM
Ah, I hadn’t considered that...

z0 K
07-17-2018, 02:23 AM
If we intend to use if for educational purposes only (at least in the US) and not commercial use then it is permitted to share copies as far as I know.

JDP
07-17-2018, 02:35 AM
If we intend to use if for educational purposes only (at least in the US) and not commercial use then it is permitted to share copies as far as I know.

That only applies to brief quotations/excerpts taken from a given copyrighted book, but not for reproducing the entire book. For example, I can quote a passage from the book in question (in fact, I have already done so in another thread a while back), but I can't "quote" the entire book. For making public complete reproductions of books still under copyright, you need written permission from the copyright holders.

Aham
07-17-2018, 02:52 AM
Excellent work, but, as far as I know, Holmyard's translation is still under copyright (that's why it is not available in Google Books), so it is not technically "legal" to make it available in a public forum.

I did a Google search and thought I was able to go through all the pages in the book but my excitement was short-lived... It was a different Holmyard book :)

Schmuldvich
07-17-2018, 02:56 AM
I did a Google search and was able to go through all the pages in the book by using the link below:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7Bt-kwKRUzUC&pg=PA15&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=true

Let me know if this works for you guys too

Yep, good link! Whole book. But not the book this thread is about.

Aham
07-17-2018, 03:10 AM
Yep, good link! Whole book. But not the book this thread is about.

Yep, too bad.

Expensive to buy as well... I was just thinking about checking out the local library catalogs to see if I could borrow the book instead.

Florius Frammel
07-17-2018, 08:20 AM
If you happen to find a solution please inform me too. I'm also interested in that book ;)

Andro
07-17-2018, 09:19 AM
That's a very important text. Please do scan it.

So is the recent English translation of Hermetic Recreations :)

alfr
07-17-2018, 11:08 AM
please inform me too also i am interestig to have copy this book thaks

my best regard alfr

Illen A. Cluf
07-17-2018, 11:59 AM

You are right. I thought he had passed away more than 70 years ago (the limit for Copyright) but it's only been 59 years . In 11 more years it should be in public domain.

Aham
07-17-2018, 12:03 PM
So is the recent English translation of Hermetic Recreations :)

Andro, are you implying that the content of Hermetic Recreations is similar to Holmyard’s book?

Andro
07-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Andro, are you implying that the content of Hermetic Recreations is similar to Holmyard’s book?
No. I'm "implying" that both translations are under copyright.
People work hard on such projects, often for very small financial rewards.
There are other alternatives, such as crowd-purchasing the book as a small group (if it's very expensive), like we already did before with another book.
If the book is relatively affordable, those who are interested can just go ahead and buy it.

Or if you want to "sin" under the radar, you can try to bribe Kiorionis to send you a copy :p

Kiorionis
07-17-2018, 12:15 PM
You are right. I thought he had passed away more than 70 years ago (the limit for Copyright) but it's only been 59 years . In 11 more years it should be in public domain.

This was my impression as well.

Aham
07-17-2018, 12:16 PM
No. I'm "implying" that both translations are under copyright.

Lol

elixirmixer
07-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Just for the permanent future record, and to save me repeating it everytime the topic comes up, count me in as an equal share to any epic alchemy book fund raising events.

Im loving the new Avatar Kiorionis ;)

Aham
07-20-2018, 01:52 AM
I did find the book in a couple of local University libraries but since they don't allow the general public to just show up, I'll have to figure out how to get access to the library.

BTW, if you can establish that you are a researcher or an author (wonder if blogs count nowadays), the process to obtain university library access is much simpler.

The reason I bring this up is that if you're close to a metro area, chances are you can access/read these types of books without having to pay anything for them.

JDP
07-20-2018, 02:47 AM
I did find the book in a couple of local University libraries but since they don't allow the general public to just show up, I'll have to figure out how to get access to the library.

BTW, if you can establish that you are a researcher or an author (wonder if blogs count nowadays), the process to obtain university library access is much simpler.

The reason I bring this up is that if you're close to a metro area, chances are you can access/read these types of books without having to pay anything for them.

I remember the days when you could show up at a university library and consult all the regular books they had, no questions, identifications or special permits needed. The only exception were the rare books (I am talking about manuscripts and early printed books), to access which you did need special permission from the curators. But nowadays you even have to go through metal detectors and security guards to get in a friggin' library!

Aham
07-20-2018, 03:25 AM
I remember the days when you could show up at a university library and consult all the regular books they had, no questions, identifications or special permits needed. The only exception were the rare books (I am talking about manuscripts and early printed books), to access which you did need special permission from the curators. But nowadays you even have to go through metal detectors and security guards to get in a friggin' library!

Yep, good ole days. That was one of my fav ways plus taking notes was a whole lot cheaper than buying the book.

BTW, somewhat off topic but just had an idea that if someone is interested in hiring cheap labor for alchemy work (EM goes back to one of your threads from a while back), it might be helpful to hang out in the Chemistry section of the library and find/hire students looking to earn a little bit extra doing lab work. Wonder if someone here has done that... :)

Aham
08-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Interesting how things work out...

Here's the link to the book on Amazing Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1684222400/

And a reasonable price too. :)

Kiorionis
08-02-2018, 03:33 AM
Quite! I found my copy for $75, and it is only the English translation (no Arabic text).

I’ll probably buy this copy as well.

elixirmixer
08-02-2018, 06:36 AM
Is it a good book Kiorionis? Any gems of knowledge in there that can help us practical Alchemists? Or is it more of a history book to do with Arabic chemistries?

JDP
08-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Is it a good book Kiorionis? Any gems of knowledge in there that can help us practical Alchemists? Or is it more of a history book to do with Arabic chemistries?

It is certainly not a history book. It's a transcription and translation of a 13th century Arabic treatise on alchemy, by a man who was evidently very familiar with the subject. Just the sheer amount of Alexandrian, Byzantine and Arabic alchemical sources he quotes is more than sufficient to show this.

PS: no "one matter only" misleading blatant & transparent booby trap here. Al-Iraqi is very well aware that several substances are used in making the Stone and does not make any effort to camouflage that fact, just like many other of the more honest alchemists. He himself used at least 3 (one of these substances is labelled with the code-name "The Twin", which strongly suggests that it itself was composed of two substances; so he likely used 4 substances total) and also gives the proportions he used.

Florius Frammel
08-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Nice! I'm still interested too!

Kiorionis
08-02-2018, 12:15 PM

I agree, with JDP, it’s very good. Totally worth $10.

The most interesting part for me so far has been his perspective on the quantitative and qualitative aspects of alchemical preparations, something which isn’t written about at any great length in other texts I’ve read.

Florius Frammel
08-02-2018, 01:14 PM
I don't get it. Where do all those different prices come from?

Kiorionis
08-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Well, I bought mine at a rate book library, so everything was over the top.
It’s also a first edition translation, which might have increased the price as well.

Weidenfeld
08-04-2018, 11:34 AM
I don't get it. Where do all those different prices come from?

Because there is the original transcription / translation done by Holmyard from 1923 or so and there are two different newer editions, the one from 2012 without the arabic text and secondly, the new 2018 edition including the Arabic text.

Florius Frammel
08-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Because there is the original transcription / translation done by Holmyard from 1923 or so and there are two different newer editions, the one from 2012 without the arabic text and secondly, the new 2018 edition including the Arabic text.

Thanks, now I see!
But it's 18$, not 10$ and they won't ship to germany for sensible fees.

Weidenfeld
08-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Another and quite cheaper option might be to loan it from a public library via subito.doc. They take 9 euros for 4 weeks and you have the original volume in your hands.

Michael Sternbach
08-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Once you know how to 'cultivate gold', you will no longer need to care about having to spend a few extra bucks. However, to learn this secret, you need the book first! What an interesting paradox...

http://i63.tinypic.com/mm6ce9.jpg

Aham
08-09-2018, 02:01 AM
...and Amazon just cancelled my order. Anyone else have the same issue?

Dendritic Xylem
08-09-2018, 03:44 AM
Nope. Ordered mine 5 days ago and it's en route.

Illen A. Cluf
08-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Mine's on the way as well. It's expected to arrive between the middle and end of the month.

elixirmixer
08-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Can i ask a favour?

Amazon will not ship this book to Australia. Can someone order me a copy and then ship it to Australia for me. I will cover all costs. Pretty please?

Andro
08-09-2018, 07:32 PM
they won't ship to germany for sensible fees.

What do they charge for shipping to Germany?

Florius Frammel
08-09-2018, 07:51 PM

Way too much some days ago. However it's out of stock now. But you can pre-order the next round for 10€ and if you're a prime member they claim to send it for free.
I made the experience however that they may cancel the order when something goes wrong and I have such a feeling with this book. But maybe I'm just too pessimistic. It's worth a try in any case.

Andro
08-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Way too much some days ago. However it's out of stock now. But you can pre-order the next round for 10€ and if you're a prime member they claim to send it for free.
I made the experience however that they may cancel the order when something goes wrong and I have such a feeling with this book. But maybe I'm just too pessimistic. It's worth a try in any case.

I just checked and it's available on amazon.de (https://www.amazon.de/Book-Knowledge-Acquired-Concerning-Cultivation/dp/1684222400/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533844482&sr=8-1&keywords=Book+of+Knowledge+Acquired+Concerning+the +Cultivation+of+Gold) as well. Currently out of stock, but shipping is free :)

Weidenfeld
08-09-2018, 08:13 PM

$ 7.98

elixirmixer
08-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Book Ordered. Thank you Seraphim. :D

Aham
08-15-2018, 01:12 AM
...and Amazon just cancelled my order. Anyone else have the same issue?

All's right with the world again. My precious is here! :)

elixirmixer
08-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Is it any good? Im still waiting on my copy. Worth it?

Aham
08-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Is it any good? Im still waiting on my copy. Worth it?

Need to spend more quality time but it was only $10 so definitely worth it :) Also came with the JDP seal of approval ;)

elixirmixer
08-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Also came with the JDP seal of approval ;)

Haha!

Illen A. Cluf
08-16-2018, 03:28 AM
Received mine today.

Florius Frammel
08-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Mine arrived today. It took quite some time, but I got it for less than 10€ all in all. I'm curious what's written inside.

Seraphim
08-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Two coppers? :confused:

JDP
08-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Two coppers? :confused:

The "two coppers" among many Muslim alchemists = iron & copper. These two metals have always been thought of as being related, just like tin & lead, which were very often called "the two leads".

Kiorionis
08-27-2018, 04:30 PM
Something I find interesting in Al-‘Iraqi’s work are the ‘two coppers’. Copper is red and Iron is white, in a sense. The Red of copper being from its heat, and the white of iron from its cold.

He goes on in the same chapter to suggest an Elixir for each, a Red Elixir to cook the white copper and a White Elixir to cool the red copper.

How similar does that line of reasoning appear to be to the interaction of Mercury and Sulphur?

Florius Frammel
08-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Something I find interesting in Al-‘Iraqi’s work are the ‘two coppers’. Copper is red and Iron is white, in a sense. The Red of copper being from its heat, and the white of iron from its cold.

He goes on in the same chapter to suggest an Elixir for each, a Red Elixir to cook the white copper and a White Elixir to cool the red copper.

How similar does that line of reasoning appear to be to the interaction of Mercury and Sulphur?

Yes, there are quite some hints towards those two metals in other sources too. For example Apollon is not only related to the sun or sulfur, but as the "destroyer" to mars (iron) as well. Together with Diana,
who lived her life as a virgin, is not only related to the moon, silver and mercury, but to copper as well (relationship to virgin mary -who herself is almost always painted in a blue gown (the color of a lot of copper compounds).

elixirmixer
08-27-2018, 11:38 PM
Mine never arrived......