PDA

View Full Version : Admiral's Fitzroy glass

theFool
03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
The Fitzroy glass (storm glass) is a piece of equipment used usually by the Navy (in old times) to predict the weather. It consists of a solution of camphor and other ingredients inside a sealed glass tube. Crystals appear at different position or with different shape in the liquid, predicting the weather condition (rain, storm, fog, sunny). See here http://chemistry.about.com/od/weirdscience/a/fitzroy.htm

I found that very interesting and connecting with alchemy. Crystalization in the glass seems to change by subtle influences. Probably, the weather forecast effect happens due to changes in atmospheric pressure. But the glass is completely sealed, so :confused:

See also wikipedia on the matter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_glass

I wonder, what kind of influences could change the crystalization of a substance? Temperature could be a main reason. But wiki says that: "Although it is well-established that temperature affects solubility, some studies have simultaneously observed several different storm glasses forming similar crystal patterns at different temperatures."
Could the effect manifest due to "aetheric" influences on the water, acting as a sort of aetheric/orgone sensor?
I'm curious...

Aleilius
03-22-2009, 02:36 AM
Wow that's really cool. I've considered something similar to this before, but never really came up with a solution.

This phenomena is probably related to a number of factors: temperature, atmospheric pressure, electrical influences, and possibly even some kind of unknown quantum influences. I'm really not sure what's taking place here, but there's much to consider!

Fitzroy glass ingredients:

* 2.5 g potassium nitrate
* 2.5 g ammonium chloride
* 33 mL distilled water
* 40 mL ethanol
* 10 g camphor

Ethanol dissolves the camphor (not water soluble), and water dissolves the rest. I wonder if we can come up with variations on this mixture? I'll try to come up with a few variations using different ingredients, and maybe I can design some kind of color indicating solution. I've been looking for something similar to this for a while now, thanks for posting it! :D

Salazius
03-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Quite intersting !

I know that atmospheric pressure can make an alambic distill more or less, also the moon can make an influence, fr example, Paris, rise everyday, and set, of 47 cm !

Weidenfeld
03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I know that atmospheric pressure can make an alambic distill more or less, also the moon can make an influence, fr example, Paris, rise everyday, and set, of 47 cm !
It's indeed a mysterious phenomenon, in any case, it doesn't depend on temperature or on pressure. One explanation considers electromagnetic myriametric waves naturally appearing in regions of depression.

Aleilius
03-23-2009, 08:28 PM
One explanation considers electromagnetic myriametric waves naturally appearing in regions of depression.
Wow, now that sounds really complex! Can you explain a bit more?

theFool
04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
One can buy such a device even nowadays.
http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/13/43/32/26/fitz110.jpg
This one, comes with the camphor solution sealed very well inside a glass tube. I've been watching it for some days. I can say pretty sure that it detects the abrupt changes of the weather (sun-rain) fairly accurate. It gives the warning some hours before the rain comes.
It is very sensitive to temperature, so cannot be used indoors during the winter.
Another strange thing is that it seems like the crystals growth relates with the wind direction, but this needs much more observation to say for sure.

Behaves similar to a barometer. Can atmospheric pressure affect sth that is sealed inside glass? I wonder how to check that.