PDA

View Full Version : The Tibetan Book of the Dead a.k.a. Bardo Thodol

Awani
08-23-2018, 10:04 PM
I've been reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead and the opening is - for me - like steroids for the mind. If you read the below passage every morning and you still end up a lazy bum something is wrong with you. LOL.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion!

But rise up now with resolve and courage!

Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now,

You have had [more than] enough time to sleep.

So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech and mind!

Are you oblivious to the sufferings of birth, old age, sickness and death?

There is no guarantee that you will survive, even past this very day!

The time has come [for you] to develop perseverance in [your] practice.

For, at this singular opportunity, you could attain the everlasting bliss [of nirvana].

So now is [certainly] not the time to sit idly,

But, starting with [the reflection on] death, you should bring your practice to completion!

The moments of our life are not expendable,

And the [possible] circumstances of death are beyond imagination.

If you do not achieve an undaunted confident security now,

What point is there in your being alive, O living creature?

- from The Tibetan Book of the Dead

:p

elixirmixer
08-24-2018, 04:54 AM
Ive been thinking a lot lately how the nature of our reality really is that of the dreamer.

We are stuck in a dream, we think that its real yet it really isnt, if you can wake up from this dream, then you will return to a greater world where you have been in slumber a very long time.

I want to wake up. Got to chew off some demon faces to get there; but if you stop allowing yourself to fall sleep all the time and stay aware, then you can find the end of the rabbit hole.

Awani
08-26-2018, 03:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBl5v2WGqrI

Awani
08-26-2018, 03:44 PM
For a few days now I have been heavily reading The Tibetan Book of the Dead... I have also been working on a podcast episode about this in the future. This might not mean anything to anyone else, but a life long mystery for me has been solved... I had an epiphany... when the thought [epiphany] entered my mind I actually gasped aloud.

My oldest dream that I can recall is also a nightmare. I was only a couple of years old. In the dream I just saw different colors, in a round shape (like a traffic light). Red, yellow, green, blue... and they whispered that they were not my friend and that they disliked me.

I always found this dream to be really unsettling. And it is not nice not the be loved.

Fast forward a few decades.

Basically according to the Tibetan Book of the Dead right after the moment of death you have a chance to liberate yourself from Samsara by entering the White Light. If you do not, you enter a sort of heaven where you are faced with a lot of wonderful imagery... these are all projections from your mind and you should reject it and look for the White Light. Recognition = Liberation

After "heaven" you enter hell. In the same way this place is also a projection of yourself... and it can be so scary that you want to escape. You might get suggestions to follow the red light, or the green light... or the blue light... all these lights will bring you back to re-birth. It is also such an unsettling place that you wish to leave it as fast as you can.

In my nightmare I always wished to wake up when those different lights were mocking me.

I am now fairly certain that that dream might be a memory of why I chose to be reborn.

Awani
08-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Got to chew off some demon faces to get there; but if you stop allowing yourself to fall sleep all the time and stay aware, then you can find the end of the rabbit hole.

Those demons are projections of your own mind. The way out is in. IMO.

Salazius
08-26-2018, 04:36 PM
What a wonderful insight. :)

I've been reading William Bhulman last book about the after death states. Very interesting also. Makes sense and matches logic. Everyone goes where everyone is before death, there is no big changes. You are waiting for Jesus, then you'll be waiting for Him in a "paradise" with alike people.

Unless you enter the White light. He says he saw Bouddhists monks praying the soul of the old man dying, to go to the white Light, and the soul disapeared in a flash.

Awani
08-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Carl Jung was onto something. It is so weird. Since I began my proper study of the Bardo Thodol (The Tibetan Book of the Dead) I have had too many synchronicities... like over-the-top direct ones... like podcasts I listen to start talking about the same book to name the most recent. Today driving home I was met with a wonderful double rainbow... the bridge between worlds. LOL.

Warmheart
08-26-2018, 06:55 PM
I'd be extremely careful with English translations of Eastern texts, there were many cases when translators simply made up things and/or carelessly made colossal mistakes during translation, totally corrupting the very sense of original.

I also think that "after death" is much more complex than most people think. Death might become totally absolute (not exactly totally absolute, but MUCH worse than that, yes, there are things which are MUCH worse than if you just absolutely died) for unprepared human who is being fed by illusions of "soul/spirit immortality", but "memento mori" of ancient people degraded into some kind of funny phrase nowadays. This life gives us ONLY chance to do something about that. And there is a multitude of illusions trying to persuade into thinking that your spirit is immortal, you chose to be born here, etc.

Also for some reason I remembered this :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axSxCo_uMoI

Awani
08-26-2018, 08:24 PM
I am using the Gyurme Dorje translation, which differs a lot from most of the older versions and is - in my opinion - more probable to be accurate than any other English version.

Also some of it is pretty simple. True wisdom always is.

--------------------------------------------

A sacred text hidden for hundreds of years and written by the pupil of the first Buddha is part of a multidimensional conspiracy, whilst the people that inspired that video you posted are speaking the truth... and at the same time they suggest this:

❤❤ Please Do Your Amazon Shopping Through This link...

Conclusion: yawn

...there is a multitude of illusions trying to persuade into thinking that your spirit is immortal, you chose to be born here, etc.

Not a multitude. Everything is an illusion. I did not choose to be born per se... I meant that it was "that" which caused me to be afraid, yearning for escape i.e. birth.

Also I know the Divine Mystery is "eternal" and "immortal" nonetheless. ;)

tAlchemist
08-26-2018, 08:48 PM
I am using the Gyurme Dorje translation, which differs a lot from most of the older versions and is - in my opinion - more probable to be accurate than any other English version.

Also some of it is pretty simple. True wisdom always is.

--------------------------------------------

A sacred text hidden for hundreds of years and written by the pupil of the first Buddha is part of a multidimensional conspiracy, whilst the people that inspired that video you posted are speaking the truth... and at the same time they suggest this:

Conclusion: yawn

Not a multitude. Everything is an illusion. I did not choose to be born per se... I meant that it was "that" which caused me to be afraid, yearning for escape i.e. birth.

Also I know the Divine Mystery is "eternal" and "immortal" nonetheless. ;)

I saw images of this exact book last year and I ended up almost puking in a public washroom. I was reading the book as a literal possibility and was severely fret.

What do you mean when you say the text was kept hidden? By who and why?

Also, do you think these scary images are literally happening somewhere or is it symbolic?

Awani
08-26-2018, 09:23 PM
“In modern science the methods of analysis are principally applied to investigating the nature of material entities. Thus, the ultimate nature of matter is sought through a reductive process and the macroscopic world is reduced to the microscopic world of particles. Yet, when the nature of these particles is further examined, we find that ultimately their very existence as objects is called into question.” ― The Tibetan Book of the Dead

Also, do you think these scary images are literally happening somewhere or is it symbolic?

Both.

They are projections of your own mind. You know like a nightmare. If you study these images a lot you will get used to them, and they are not really that scary... only different. Imagine how weird a frog would look if you had never encountered one before. :)

Although if even half of the book is true, then it will be pretty scary... so doesn't hurt to be prepared. LOL. Like another important and inspiring text: The Dead Sea Scrolls

The people who wrote the book did not feel humanity was ready... so they hid it with the intention that it would surface when the time is right...

According to Tibetan tradition, the Liberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate State was composed in the 8th century by Padmasambhava, written down by his primary student, Yeshe Tsogyal, buried in the Gampo hills in central Tibet and subsequently discovered by a Tibetan terton, Karma Lingpa, in the 14th century. - Wiki

Warmheart
08-26-2018, 09:26 PM
I am not saying that they are right :)

I simply meant that things might work in a totally different way than they are described in widely available literature.

I'd also be very careful with saying about simplicity of Eastern texts. Simplicity is often deluding. It usually means that either text isn't worth time spent with it (because it was written by someone without authentic experience/initiation), or that you don't understand it because you don't have initiation, don't know code/cipher, lack knowledge of complementary texts (which reveal important practical moments), etc.

And true wisdom is always complex. Otherwise we'd be living in totally binary word of black/white, man/woman, good/evil, etc. Everything around would be either 0 or 1. That same illusionary binary world of primitive religious doctrines. Divine Forces are Geniuses because they stand behind very complex worlds and processes, which only become more complex over time.

Not a multitude. Everything is an illusion. I did not choose to be born per se... I meant that it was "that" which cause me to be afraid, yearning for escape i.e. birth.
This world is one of many, there are many various beings in other worlds/planes, a lot of so-called lower ethereal beings, etc. Oftentimes answers to such experience as yours are not so simple and might have to do with something totally different than people might think. I am not sure that lifespan of modern man is sufficient enough to get enough experience and knowledge to get all those answers, you will be getting more and more questions along the way. Unless you choose the way of "easy" answers from people who know it all, but don't have any way to prove those answers to you and even to themselves.

But I think the path of getting more knowledge and wisdom is more than worth it.

Awani
08-26-2018, 09:29 PM
We'll find out soon enough. ;)

I'd also be very careful with saying about simplicity of Eastern texts. Simplicity is often deluding. It usually means that either text isn't worth time spent with it (because it was written by someone without authentic experience/initiation), or that you don't understand it because you don't have initiation, don't know code/cipher, lack knowledge of complementary texts (which reveal important practical moments), etc.

I disagree.

At its core it is very simple. To "understand it" might be difficult. To "know it" even more difficult. To "live by it" the hardest thing of all.

Mod note: I merged all threads I made regarding this topic into a unity of eternal oneness

Awani
08-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Everything around would be either 0 or 1.

Actually it is only 0.

1 = illusion.

Andro
08-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Actually it is only 0.

1 = illusion.

Everything is a "dance" between 0 and 1.

It seems that none is more (or less) "illusory" than the other :)

Awani
08-26-2018, 10:57 PM
Everything is a "dance" between 0 and 1.

Nothing cannot be everything. It is nothing.

Illen A. Cluf
08-26-2018, 11:48 PM
Nothing cannot be everything. It is nothing.

Then "it" can't be an "it", either :-)

Warmheart
08-26-2018, 11:48 PM
It seems that none is more (or less) "illusory" than the other :)
I see what you did there :)

Awani
08-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Then "it" can't be an "it", either :-)

Yes... the whole things is best described like this:

Awani
08-27-2018, 12:01 AM
If you cannot be asked to read... I find this is a nice thing to fall asleep to... no pun intended...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1MZwriqVvw

Illen A. Cluf
08-27-2018, 02:15 AM
Yes... the whole things is best described like this:

That has to be the most profound answer I've never seen!

Illen A. Cluf
08-27-2018, 02:24 AM
If you cannot be asked to read... I find this is a nice thing to fall asleep to... no pun intended...

I read the entire book many years ago. I rarely remember my dreams, and if I do, they are usually quite vague.

However, very shortly after my Father passed away, I had a very vivid dream where my Father told me that I should read this book as it was extremely important. This was a strange dream, since at the time, I had never heard of a "Tibetan" book of the dead before - only the Egyptian Book of the Dead. I did some research and discovered that indeed, there was a Tibetan version, so I read it a decade and a half ago.

It was quite profound, but at the time, I didn't quite understand it. I still have the book, and will have to re-read it to see if it now makes sense.

Awani
08-27-2018, 12:46 PM
You should. I think it is awesome. Makes total sense. I would go for the one I mentioned I have, because that includes a lot more than the "famous" Liberation through hearing chapter aka Book of the Dead.

tAlchemist
08-27-2018, 03:20 PM
From my understanding, the Tibetan Book of the Dead shows pictures of what literally happens to us after death, however it's not that simple.

Several books I've read that talk about Hell, and people with heads of other animals and people being tormented...(the heads representing the type of person he/she is...EX: Swine=lust) This all happens in what they call the lowest ''spheres'' aka Hell, the bottomless pit where from my understanding the most dense and evil kind of individuals go to after death... whether it's the Astral Realm or Ethereal I'm not sure exactly.

A Wanderer in the Spirit Lands By Franchezzo and Tibetan Book of the Dead seem to be synchronizing with each other if you care to read them both. Both books want the author to have a literal picture of what goes on in the afterlife.

*rest assured, because from my understanding, it takes a great measure of evil to fall into this bottomless pit, and I don't think just your average joe journeys there once they die... also, I'm still trying to refine my own understanding so take what I say here with a grain of salt*

In the first picture... It's clear to me that the angel on the right is looking at the guy's junk.

The second picture... Look who's journeying to that god awful place (Hell)... On the boat, take a look at those peoples faces and what they are wearing. They look like a group of rich men from the 17th century or something on their way to what they probably think is some resort... otherwise, why so chill? A crown, fat, smirks on their face... I think the author wants us to look at these individuals in a certain type of way based on how they were drawn.

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1031&d=1535383225

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1030&d=1535382945

Illen A. Cluf
08-27-2018, 03:22 PM
You should. I think it is awesome. Makes total sense. I would go for the one I mentioned I have, because that includes a lot more than the "famous" Liberation through hearing chapter aka Book of the Dead.

OK, even though I have an older version, I just ordered the Graham Coleman edition that you recommended. Maybe this translation is more understandable than the one i have.

Awani
08-27-2018, 03:47 PM
OK, even though I have an older version, I just ordered the Graham Coleman edition that you recommended. Maybe this translation is more understandable than the one i have.

Regardless it is a beautiful book to have in your collection (that you cannot bring with you). I do find that hoarding books is not totally futile as they can be passed down... and the only thing that has any material value... more so than gold and other crap.

From my understanding, the Tibetan Book of the Dead shows pictures of what literally happens to us after death, however it's not that simple.

It is a guide for life and death. And it is meant to be something you read to a person dying to help that person become liberated and avoid Samsara.

Several books I've read that talk about Hell, and people with heads of other animals and people being tormented...

This is only my view, but I don't think you need to focus on hell or be afraid of hell... there is a great chance that you will expereince "more" of it if you do. LOL. According to The Tibetan Book of the Dead all that stuff is only projections from your own "mind" anyway. A trick to make you want to re-enter another body... it is very hard to loose ego...

The clear light, or luminoisty of God or whatever you want to call it, is no place for ego. ;)

If someone knows how to make the pictures I've attactched to show without clicking them, please help me edit it!

See THIS (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2933-Posting-Images-amp-Videos) thread.

tAlchemist
09-21-2018, 08:40 PM
It is a guide for life and death. And it is meant to be something you read to a person dying to help that person become liberated and avoid Samsara.

yes grandpa, you see that giant devil creature looking at you from... maybe 30ft away, yes, ignore it and go to the light hahahaha sorry

In your opinion, if one has no ''Ego'' then they won't be finding themselves in places shown in the images of Tibetan Book of Dead? Look at what the white guys are doing in the first picture I linked... Definitely seems like these guys could have a ''big ego''... But is ego bad? What makes this projection possible? What determines it? This I don't understand... definitely not the people in the picture consciously doing it. Who'd want to consciously get their face ripped off?

Illen A. Cluf
09-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Regardless it is a beautiful book to have in your collection (that you cannot bring with you). I do find that hoarding books is not totally futile as they can be passed down... and the only thing that has any material value... more so than gold and other crap.

I now have the book and look forward to reading it. I agree about the books. I have a collection of about 5,000 books - mostly reference and rare non-fiction (alchemy, grail, esoterics, history, philosophy, theology, religion, science, chemistry, etc.). I often refer back to the books for reference purposes, and sometimes for re-reading.

elixirmixer
09-22-2018, 04:28 AM
Im loving this book. Really gives you a sense of the fact that we are living a strange physical dream...

Awani
09-22-2018, 10:22 PM
yes grandpa, you see that giant devil creature looking at you from... maybe 30ft away, yes, ignore it and go to the light

Well... might be good advice when you are actually in that situation. ;)

In your opinion, if one has no ''Ego'' then they won't be finding themselves in places shown in the images of Tibetan Book of Dead?

The unknown is always scary... I don't find the images in the Tibetan Book of the Dead scary... my mind is liberated from the Christian-only perspective of "angels" and "gods"... and based on my own experiences these "beings" that clutter all realities here and there can look very strange indeed.

But to answer your question: in my opinion the Book says that you have to recall that "it is all in your mind" and "go to the light"... if you do not (and most people do not) you will first go through "heaven" and then through "hell" and then back here... on Earth. And you can always "exit" at any point... however it gets harder the deeper into the bardo you journey. There is also another option: to choose rebirth in order to help others become liberated... which makes you a "prophet".... In simplified terms.

Awani
09-22-2018, 10:27 PM
But is ego bad?

Ego is irrelevant if liberated. Nothing to do with good or bad.

Humans that are too "ego" are simply "more" addicted. One way to walk towards a more liberated state is to move away from ego... some people really dislike this concept of "burn/kill" ego... but I think that is because it feels like a sort of suicide... however ego is an illusion and totally useless in the grand scheme of things. In my humble opinion.

Andro
11-18-2020, 12:57 PM
My suggestion: Upon physical death, don't go anywhere without at least questioning/inquiring first. Not into the white light, not into ANY light.

The way to "exit" is essentially "down", and it feels extremely counter-intuitive.

You have to let yourself "sink through the dream-floor", so to speak.

You will find yourself in relative darkness, but you will adjust. Welcome to No-Man's Land.

This is where you can ask questions if so inclined and receive proper directions, because this "zone" is not part of ANY dream-world.

Nor is it the "pure spirit" realm, either.

It doesn't appear on any "map" or "spiritual guide-book", to the best of my knowledge. Not explicitly, anyway.

But it is from this "zone" that one can enter/access any dream-reality-construct consciously, if this is what one wishes.

It is also from this "zone" that one can enter the "realm" of pure, undifferentiated Awareness.

But for this, all persona-constructs must be left behind.

You cannot enter this realm as "you", i.e. any "I" must be discarded and left at the door, so to speak.

There are other options as well, which are even more interesting IMO.

Schmuldvich
11-18-2020, 02:51 PM
My suggestion: Upon physical death, don't go anywhere without at least questioning/inquiring first. Not into the white light, not into ANY light.

The way to "exit" is essentially "down", and it feels extremely counter-intuitive.

You have to let yourself "sink through the dream-floor", so to speak.

You will find yourself in relative darkness, but you will adjust. Welcome to No-Man's Land.

This is where you can ask questions if so inclined and receive proper directions, because this "zone" is not part of ANY dream-world.

Nor is it the "pure spirit" realm, either.

It doesn't appear on any "map" or "spiritual guide-book", to the best of my knowledge. Not explicitly, anyway.

But it is from this "zone" that one can enter/access any dream-reality-construct consciously, if this is what one wishes.

It is also from this "zone" that one can enter the "realm" of pure, undifferentiated Awareness.

But for this, all persona-constructs must be left behind.

You cannot enter this realm as "you", i.e. any "I" must be discarded and left at the door, so to speak.

Have 'you' explored this zone yourself?

Andro
11-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Have 'you' explored this zone yourself?
Yes. Multiple times. Inside this "zone" (that I refer to as "No-Man's Land"), it's still "me" (of sorts). Only crossing over to "Pure Awareness" requires discarding any "I". Any "memories" brought back from this "realm" are only approximate reconstructions, rendered upon re-entering the "Self" garments.

Schmuldvich
11-18-2020, 05:43 PM
Yes. Multiple times. Inside this "zone" (that I refer to as "No-Man's Land"), it's still "me" (of sorts). Only crossing over to "Pure Awareness" requires discarding any "I". Any "memories" brought back from this "realm" are only approximate reconstructions, rendered upon re-entering the "Self" garments.

The purity of insight is only temporary, indeed. Anything taken back from these realms into daily life is only a bastardization of what was actually learned. Our human minds can comprehend only a infinitesimally small chunk of knowledge given our limitations of our current experience here on Earth. I listened to the podcast that you did with Dev and found it incredibly interesting hearing someone talk so objectively about something that has never been substantiated other than by those who have visited these realms themselves. To most people these zones do not exist, nor are these zones a portion of most people's awareness.

Having the experiences I have had in the past grants me perceivable insight into these realms, some of which I (believe) I have explored myself. I do not make it a point to explore these realms but every so often I do get an itch that I want to stretch. As I feel it--just like the reality we currently experience--these realms are able to be perceived and explored by adjusting our frequency to be in alignment/harmony with the frequency of that realm.

Do you feel everyone has this ability but others know how to do so better or are more interested in perceiving these realms therefore are able to do so more harmoniously than average humans?

Can you talk more about "frequency" as it pertains to what you do?

When visiting the realm you describe above, what do the steps leading up to the exploration look like for you?

When exploring this realm how long do you usually allocate for each session?

While experiencing this zone, if I were to observe your physical body, what would it be doing during this time?

What is the most important thing you feel you have learned from this "No Man's Land" you describe above?

https://i.imgur.com/eZZNHAi.gif

https://i.imgur.com/hxpKm5V.gif

https://i.imgur.com/ykCglwJ.gif

https://i.imgur.com/voJDLMS.gif