PDA

View Full Version : Collecting morning dew as a solvent: Does it require distilling?

KnowledgeSeeker
12-01-2018, 03:01 AM
If I collect what’s called morning dew through a dehumidifier will I need to distill it or not for work, unless it already counts as?

I mean it’s kind of complicated, my glass vessel lasted for a month or two in water but when I tried using it with sand in an experiment it cracked.

Schmuldvich
12-07-2018, 03:47 AM
What is your goal?

Is your goal to coagulate this dew? If so, why?

KnowledgeSeeker
12-15-2018, 03:04 PM
What is your goal?

Is your goal to coagulate this dew? If so, why?I want to use it as a solvent for things or to make elixirs in general. That kind of use for now.

Kiorionis
12-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Distilling it might be a good idea if you live in or around a heavily polluted atmosphere (cities, near forrest fires, processing plants, and etc.).

Lapis Solaris
12-16-2018, 01:47 AM
I want to use it as a solvent for things or to make elixirs in general. That kind of use for now.

Personally whenever working with dew I'd filter it through a coffee filter and use it as is, I don't really think that if it's through a dehumidifier it should make much of a difference. Any work I'd do with it, it's going to be cooked together anyway, but I'm not seeking to separate anything out of it except for debris.

Distilling it might be a good idea if you live in or around a heavily polluted atmosphere (cities, near forrest fires, processing plants, and etc.).

And that could well be the case. Although I don't see why filtering it wouldn't get out the general impurities like that. Personally we live close to a paper processing plant (which is pretty awful if the wind blows in the right direction). We just don't collect on days that the wind blows that way.

Phyllobius
12-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Won't the distillation process accuate (ie purify and increase the "spiritual power", I dont know how to translate the french verb "accuer") the water?

Lapis Solaris
12-19-2018, 06:50 AM
Won't the distillation process accuate (ie purify and increase the "spiritual power", I dont know how to translate the french verb "accuer") the water?

Sure, it'll purify it. But it'll leave the minerals behind (and that can be useful depending on the purpose, if you want it to leave a more empty solvent in order to have the capability to carry more of the body you add to it). It will only be empowered if what's left over from the distillate is then recombined, though if I were to do so I'd use the distillate to wash the salts and pour them off (leaving the contaminants behind). That doesn't sound like it's the goal here though, and is a lot more work when it's only going to be used as a simple solvent in the first place and you could just filter it. If you weren't going to recombine them you might as well just buy distilled water in bulk.

Arrakis
12-24-2018, 12:10 PM
In my opinion dew must be treated directly to the matter, any previous treatment would simply spoil it.
Happy Christmas to everyone!
Arrakis