PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical Films

Play_Dough
04-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Also see this thread: Alchemy Videos (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?343-Alchemy-Videos)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A seriously 'alchemical' film is "The Man in the Iron Mask" (all versions and the book).

Another one (film) is "The Count of Monte Cristo" (all versions and the book).

Other's (films) are "Groundhog Day", "The King of Hearts" and "What the Bleep do we Know?" Also, (lesser) "Alice in Wonderland", "The Wizard of Oz", "The Gods Must be Crazy" (not the sequel tagged "II"), and " Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance".

horticult
04-04-2009, 11:09 AM
The best initialization movie I have seen is Excalibur /1981/, it is also the best from mediavel times. Highly recommended, hope it will not be censored...

Zephyr
04-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Alejandro Jodorowsky's "The Holy Mountain", is, I think, the greatest Alchemy movie I have seen. His Graphic novel series with Moebius, "the Incal" takes it to a whole new level, though... Seems like all his work is similarily structured: His art is not about alchemy so much as it IS alchemical in it's transformative structure... Brilliance.

-A-

Awani
07-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Laputa and Nausicaä by Miyazaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki) are both highly alchemical in my opinion - albeit not as blatant as perhaps Excalibur!

I'm not a Moebius fan, although I have been to an exhibition in Paris once which he shared with Miyazaki. Perhaps look into it now...

:cool:

WCH
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Alejandro Jodorowsky's "The Holy Mountain", is, I think, the greatest Alchemy movie I have seen. His Graphic novel series with Moebius, "the Incal" takes it to a whole new level, though... Seems like all his work is similarily structured: His art is not about alchemy so much as it IS alchemical in it's transformative structure... Brilliance.

-A-I just saw this film and quite enjoyed it. Very good stuff... would be interested to hear comments by people more experienced with alchemy than I. I'd certainly recommend it any case.

Seth-Ra
11-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I just saw this film and quite enjoyed it. Very good stuff... would be interested to hear comments by people more experienced with alchemy than I. I'd certainly recommend it any case.

I looked it up and just watched it... im not quite sure what to say about it really... it had a lot of meaning and points... part of me liked it, part didnt. Around the end it brought things that i have seen in recent dreams, which needless to say freaked me the hell out. :D

I like the ending... it causes the beginning (alot of the symbolism used) to make sense, rising above the "fallen flesh" as it were, and all to reach reality and begin anew. Truly an ouroboros in the truest sense.

Ill also say, i picked a good/bad time to watch it, as it got late, quickly, and is almost morning so i kinda "faded in an out", though i didnt miss anything, the good part of that being that the state of half conscious, half unconscious allows for the inner-self to speak on it also... which happened, and i became more connected to it...
Perhaps its my Gemini nature, but i must give it a 50/50, which due to canceling each other out would be a 0, and thus infinite possibilities, so i guess overall its subjective according to viewer. Yes i suck at rating stuff. lol

Oh yeah, just remembered one of my fav. parts is the Academy place at the mountain where they talk like "normal" philosopher's and scientists... that was hilarious and so true... :D

~Seth-Ra

S0LiPS1ST
08-28-2011, 08:26 PM
What about π ??

MarkostheGnostic
08-28-2011, 10:51 PM
http://www.rense.com/general7/alchemkubrick.htm

Never knew this til recently! Far Out Stanley!

Awani
08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Also see: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?360-2001-Kubrick-Alchemy

MarkostheGnostic
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Even better, thanks! :D

MarkostheGnostic
10-16-2011, 05:24 AM
I slept today, and not being able to sleep, I watched this film from NetFlix. It had shades of The Never-Ending Story, with a white hairy buffalo-looking flying creature, reminiscent of the Luck Dragon. There were Northern and Southern cities, reminiscent of the Northern and Southern Oracles, and of course, a fight of Good against Evil.

But, interestingly enough, its Tolkien-like warlords denoted an alchemical theme. The tribal societies of Air, Water, Earth and Fire, once in balance by the presence of a reincarnated Avatar (kind of like Atrayu in The Never-Ending Story), who vanished one day. During the 100 years of his absence, while suspended in ice, the lords of the Fire element, the Fire-Benders, declared fire-bending in all the other elements to be illegal while they dominated the other elements. The young Avatar, who had been trapped in ice before he could learn to bend the other elements with Kung-Fu-like movements which evoked them, was alone able to command and balance all the elements. He embodied the Quintessential 5th element.

The film is still playing as I type this, so I'll sign off to watch the ending.

Nibiru
10-16-2011, 05:43 AM
The Fountain is a very good film with 3 separate story lines that are intertwined and all of the stories have alchemical connections. One is the search for the tree of life, another is about the universal medicine, and the last is concerning the universe..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_fountain/

MarkostheGnostic
10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks!

Seth-Ra
10-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I slept today, and not being able to sleep, I watched this film from NetFlix. It had shades of The Never-Ending Story, with a white hairy buffalo-looking flying creature, reminiscent of the Luck Dragon. There were Northern and Southern cities, reminiscent of the Northern and Southern Oracles, and of course, a fight of Good against Evil.

But, interestingly enough, its Tolkien-like warlords denoted an alchemical theme. The tribal societies of Air, Water, Earth and Fire, once in balance by the presence of a reincarnated Avatar (kind of like Atrayu in The Never-Ending Story), who vanished one day. During the 100 years of his absence, while suspended in ice, the lords of the Fire element, the Fire-Benders, declared fire-bending in all the other elements to be illegal while they dominated the other elements. The young Avatar, who had been trapped in ice before he could learn to bend the other elements with Kung-Fu-like movements which evoked them, was alone able to command and balance all the elements. He embodied the Quintessential 5th element.

The film is still playing as I type this, so I'll sign off to watch the ending.

The animé of that was better than the movie. Infact, the movie sucked in comparison, but the special effects were ok.
Because the animé is where the story came from, its more indepth and covers quite a bit more than the movie could hope to. When he (the avatar) has to learn fire... well, its really interesting - i mean each element was interesting, but the fire element especially. Far more allegory and symbolism in the animé show. ;)

If you like the movie, you'll love the show - i recommend it. :)

~Seth-Ra

MarkostheGnostic
10-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the response, and I agree that it sucked but the effects were cool. Probably not gonna watch the animé any time soon.

zoas23
01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Jodorowsky was mentioned... I would say that all his films are alchemical films (my own favorite is "Santa Sangre" and "Holy Mountain" comed second).

Kenneth Anger should be mentioned too, even if you don''t like Thelema (in my own case, I don't specially like or have any kind of interest in Thelema, but I can't deny he is a genius).

Derek Jarman's "The Angelic Conversation" was mostly planned following nine alchemical steps, so it's worth watching (it is also quite an experimental "queer movie", so some people may not enjoy it, I have no idea.. in my own case, I do love it and I'm not even gay myself).

A very interesting movie is "The Dark Crystal"... which is actually a movie for little kids... and yet it is incredibly related to alchemy in quite an explicit way.

solomon levi
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
A very interesting movie is "The Dark Crystal"... which is actually a movie for little kids... and yet it is incredibly related to alchemy in quite an explicit way.

In the vein of kid's films, also "the never-ending story" and "labyrinth" I found very enlightening.
Especially striking in "Labyrinth" was when she takes a bite of the fruit and forgets and she
returns to a dream-state version of her home/house and a "demon" is trying to keep her
comfortable and from remembering by giving her all the "toys" and distractions she was fond of.
Such is the state of man, forgetting the "one most important thing" we came here to do: to wake up,
to "escape from prison".

Andro
01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Such is the state of man, forgetting the "one most important thing" we came here to do: to wake up, to "escape from prison".

Re-quoting Captain Picard from a different thread:

"The first duty of the prisoner is to escape."

I myself am feeling increasingly uncomfortable in this 'prison' of flesh and physical matter in general.

On the other hand - I am neither escapist nor suicidal... Hmm... Quite a dilemma :)

There sure are ways to escape this 'prison' up to a point, as much as it is possible within the design.

SO, IMO, there is no FULL escape from this PARTICULAR prison while still physically incarnated... But I would surely like to be proven wrong :)

solomon levi
01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Re-quoting Captain Picard from a different thread:

I myself am feeling increasingly uncomfortable in this 'prison' of flesh and physical matter in general.

On the other hand - I am neither escapist nor suicidal... Hmm... Quite a dilemma :)

There sure are ways to escape this 'prison' up to a point, as much as it is possible within the design.

SO, IMO, there is no FULL escape from this PARTICULAR prison while still physically incarnated... But I would surely like to be proven wrong :)

Yeah, I'm wouldn't consider myself escapist or suicidal either - I've contemplated suicide, but never to the point
where I could see myself actually do it or try it. I guess that's escapist in a way, to contemplate suicide as an option.
I mean to say I do not agree with escapism - of course I have struggled with it. Every moment we are not fully
alive and present we are escapists a la Krishnamurti.
Another interesting line in the "Waking Life" was something to the effect of time being the result of saying 'no'
to God's invitation to unify with it. :)

For me the body and flesh are not (yet?) the problem. I'm desiring mental and psychological freedom. I still
agree with my observations of thought being the only problem - things aren't problems until we think about them.
There's nothing lacking in THIS until we think. I guess I'm still holding on to some ideal state of Castaneda's
controlled folly where everything would be fun and a game. Most probably, this is my mistaken definition,
just as people have mistakenly identified enlightenment as eternal happiness. To me, enlightenment is the
absence of the false ego centered view which would interpret something as happy or unhappy. The actual situation
may be one of pain or somethng crappy we've experienced a hundred times before, but due to the missing experiencer,
it is not perceived as pain or crappy.

I recently realised that my personal understanding which I have called 'relative objectivity' is synonymous with
controlled folly. Folly is subjectivity, or relativity - nothing objectively real - and control is the objective measure
we apply to the relative and subjective. That is, there is the appearance of control/objectivity as long as we hold one
consistent aim.
I developed my understanding of 'relative objectivity' so as not to argue with the quantum view that everything is
subjective - our observation necessarily alters what we observe, therefore there is no objectivity. Ok, fine. But there
are 'frames' which are relatively more objective/impersonal than other frames - hence relative objectivity.
Relative objectivity is "the bigger picture", the more-encompassing awareness. Of course, as long as it is a frame,
it is not the whole, the One, the true Subject, so in that view who cares if one frame is more objective than another -
it's all relative. But in general, the bigger picture, or relative objectivity, has been my guide towards truth, even though
I know truth is not a picture. So am I wasting my time? No matter how much we control our folly, it is still folly.
The sorcerers' description, while providing relative freedom from the average man's description, is still a description.

So does my bigger picture just lead to inertia, to 'what the hell', to 'why bother?'.
Castaneda compensated for that by saying we must strive to comprehend the mystery without ever hoping to fully do so.
I don't know. There's not much 'strive' in me lately. :)

Ghislain
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM

Is this not just like an aqualung and wet suit for diving into the mysteries of the deep?
Perhaps if the flesh and physical matter is removed your movement here will be restricted.

There's not much 'strive' in me lately
Multi vitamins and some early nights Sol ;)

Ghislain

Albion
03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_28EoZf3pWcw/TFrMPHLqTEI/AAAAAAAACMw/li83HQQNEz8/s1600/northfork2x.jpg...

MarkostheGnostic
03-24-2012, 09:55 PM
I ran the trailer. Gonna check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

Andro
03-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Just finished watching it.

It's a true classic IMO.

Great script, cast, setting, cinematography, everything.

Flower's monologue (towards the end) is beautiful and very Alchemical indeed, as are many of the themes in the movie.

I very much recommend it.

Nibiru
04-04-2012, 01:37 AM
I just finished watching the movie "Pi", I would suggest this movie to anyone following The Path. It deals a a lot with Fibonacci sequence and the Golden Mean. It's alchemical in the way that "The Matrix", "Alice In Wonderland", "The Labyrinth", and other films could be considered alchemical. It tries to get to the root of what is 'reality'...

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhxtIXWWX8c

Here's the beginning of a decent review:

This extraordinary b&w (as in "black" & "white") film is called Pi because it represents geometric value. The term "geometry" was first known in the ancient world as "geomancy." I noticed other reviewers felt "gypped" because the film was not in color. I can't imagine it any other way--it deals in numerals & figures--the b&w concept is totally appropriate and masterfully done.

I have been interested in the metaphysical/alchemical concept of "The Great Work" for a long time. Recently I've re-focused on the subject after reviewing certain books & films (see links list below.) There are various interpretations of The Work, and there's no easy way to explain it, but I'll try: The Great Work is known as Jivanmukti in Hindu philosophy & refers to a complex system of Yoga ("yoke" or uniting) the devotee with Divinity; microcosm to Macrocosm; subject to the object; Cosmic Consciousness. In alchemical terms it is the search for the fabled Philosopher's Stone that can turn base metal into gold. Historically The Great Work has also played a role in magick ritual--both "white" & "black"--and has been described as a "dangerous path"--one that has reportedly driven Adepts mad.

Taken from here: http://www.gnostics.com/pi.html

It's funny, but in the movie the word alchemy is never mentioned, but if you read the screen-play/script alchemy is a major concept.

Here's a quote from the very beginning of the screen-play:

INT. BATHROOM - DAWN

A pull-string light flips on. Max examines his bloody nose in
the mirror.

MAX (V.O.)
The alchemist awakes.
(Imitating)
"Turn lead into gold, Max,
lead into gold." Today, I find it.

Taken from here: http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Pi.html

zoas23
04-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Not really alchemical, but a portrait of the Occult Scene in 1985, it's a documentary:
http://vimeo.com/21956578

(or, maybe, a portrait of the Occult Scene that wanted to be very visible in 1985! So some people were maybe too eager to be filmed and provided a bit or a lot of "Occult Circus").
The documentary is VERY dated and mostly shows which one was the hype then.

It is also interesting to watch it as a reminder that the "Occult Scene" can very often get very pathetic (Michael Aquino dressed as some sort of weird mix of Bela Lugosi and Captain Spock... showing a "Nazi dagger" with the intention of giving the message that he's very satanic and perverse is a bit laguhable). Anyway, it is worth watching.

I also recently saw "Enter the Void"... again, not exactly alchemical, but dealing a lot with Eastern Mysticism. the plot is mostly very easy: in the first minutes of the movie the main character dies... the rest of the movie is his soul traveling. The whole movie is filmed out of focus... so you may get bored of the persistence of the "out of focus" image maybe. I had the chance to watch it at a cinema, I am not sure if I would have enjoyed this one in a TV, probably not.

Nibiru
04-10-2012, 11:59 PM
For those who haven't seen it, 'Kymatica' is a documentary film that's very Hermetic in nature. It deals with the concepts of astrology, nature, language, sound vibration alchemy, myths, archetypes, duality, consciousness, reality, politics, etc...

Here's the full movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkbvJFEQgJU

Andro
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Hollywood is doing Flamel in 2012 :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0907706

solomon levi
05-05-2012, 06:59 AM
The Game

"Don't ask what the object of the game is.
Figuring out the object of the game is the game."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(film)

How to describe this movie without giving it away?
It's a great example of Castaneda's stalking and purging of the past - healing
of the soul... :)

solomon levi
05-07-2012, 02:53 AM
I don't know if this was already mentioned -
Vanilla Sky

"I want to live a real life. I don't want to dream anymore."

Krisztian
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Meeting with Remarkable Men, an artistic film depicting Gurdjieff's story and journey of spiritual growth.

Ghislain
05-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Meeting with Remarkable Men (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3813872527827778135#)

"Meetings with Remarkable Men is the second volume of the All and Everything trilogy written by the Greek-Armenian mystic G. I. Gurdjieff." wikipedia

Meetings with Remarkable Men appears to start from his realisation of the need to search. As Gurdgieff was writing a biographical account how is this the second volume?
What is contained in the first?

Thanks Krisztian, is there another film of his later life? I would love to see that.

Ghislain

Albion
05-15-2012, 10:37 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MS274BYHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The European version or The Director's Cut
are recommended by most reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Blue-Directors-Cut/dp/B00004TWZF/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1337077825&sr=1-2

solomon levi
05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Good call, Albion!
I love that movie.
Saw it many years ago and have watched it often since.

My commentary - I really associated with the protagonists feelings of alienation.
He felt more at home in the depths of the ocean and with dolphins) than in the world of men.

Jean Reno is classic!

Albion
05-16-2012, 08:48 AM
I really associated with the protagonists feelings of alienation.
He felt more at home in the depths of the ocean and with dolphins) than in the world of men.

It would have surprised me had you said otherwise. :)

The movie also reminds me of the state of non-breathing, which, the first time it happened to me, kind of freaked me out - both because it lasted so long and because of the perspective I was in. Some time later I read that this state is nothing to be feared.

"If you can stop your breathing, you can enter into the cultivation of the second type of chi. The second type of chi, called the "reward" chi in the Damo Zen Sutra and "karmic" chi in Esoteric Buddhism, is the chi that arises when ordinary breathing stops. This "hsi," if you cultivate it, is what a fetus uses to grow inside a mother’s womb (when external breathing is not required) and when you cultivate it after birth, you can use it to cure sickness, extend the lifespan and stay healthy. If you are able to recognize and cultivate this chi, you can have longevity and can reverse the process of getting old and will become young. You can cultivate that chi to get samadhi but it’s not the highest."

February 11, 2008 entry: The Damo Zen (Anapanasati) Sutra

http://www.meditationexpert.com/blog/2008/02/

But the following are more relevant to the movie:

David Blaine: Guinness Record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WzT4EnAIyE&feature=related

David Blaine: How I held my breath for 17 min

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_blaine_how_i_held_my_breath_for_17_min.html

Yes, Jean Reno was perfect for that role. He convincingly wove
together both the comedic and serious aspects of his character.

solomon levi
05-19-2012, 12:05 PM
"Who's driving the dream bus?"

Interviews many non-duality/reality-"ists"

http://theavalonfiles.com/stream/Whos_Driving_The_Dreambus/index.html

Krisztian
05-22-2012, 02:09 AM
I wish I could point the way, Ghislain. There's much material on the system Gurdjieff created, I haven't seen any other movie about it. I haven't been involved in studying his teachings for some time now, maybe others in this Forum would know?

solomon levi
05-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Only the second is autobiographical. The first is sort of a history/myth of man written
in a way to make us aware, as if he is studying man as an alien from another world (objectively).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_and_Everything

This video is fairly informative of his teachings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvLGuSOLNQA

Or you could watch In Search of the Miraculous by one of his main pupils,
Ouspensky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPoj_C7IUuc&feature=related

Otherwise, I don't think he has been filmed much. There's just his books and schools.
Those are just actors in "Search" and "Meetings". The first youtube link is actual footage of G.

Oh - here's a russian documentary on G with english subtitles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX-7Dgk_SEI&feature=related

solomon levi
06-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Does anyone else consider "The Beaver" alchemical?
I found it really insightful. Think of the warrior pitting the average man's description (CC's words)
against the sorcerers' description. Or deconstructing/leaving behind one's past for a present
spontaneous occurrence. A good flick anyway.

Memorable quote:
"We reach a point where, in order to go on, we have to wipe the slate clean. We start to see ourselves as a box that we're trapped inside and no matter how we try and escape, self help, therapy, drugs, we just sink further and further down. The only way to truly break out of the box is to get rid of it all together... I mean, you built it in the first place. If the people around you are breaking your spirit, who needs them? Your wife who pretends to love you, your son who can't even stand you. I mean, put them out of their misery. Starting over isn't crazy. Crazy is being miserable and walking around half asleep, numb, day after day after day. Crazy is pretending to be happy. Pretending that the way things are is the way they have to be for the rest of your bleeding life. All the potential, hope, all that joy, feeling, all that passion that life has sucked out of you. Reach out, grab a hold of it and snatch it back from that bloodsucking rabble."

D.Trout
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Watched "Melancholia" the other day.

Tedious and somewhat predictable story. Brilliant cast, but mediocre performances.

I really didn't particularly like how the film was shot, but much of the imagery was very alchemical in nature.

Krisztian
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Russian-produced Wolfhound (2007), starting with Aleksandr Bukharov!

It is my opinion, this foreign film has all of the archetypes and astrotheological elements of the unrecorded history of humankind. I'm an avid researcher of astrotheology, and this humble film represents a breakthrough in capturing key symbolic elements.

Andro
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I won't say anything about this film.

It won't take more than a few minutes to decide whether it's for you or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FZdQGx5jPlo

Ghislain
07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
It took a little more than a few minutes for me to decide Androgynus.

I have had one repetative thought throughout my life, which comes up periodically.
It is more of a feeling I can't fully explain than a thought, but if I were to put it into
words it would be what Nemo says at 17:23.

I think the film was saying we make our own choices...

Live with it.

Ghislain

Andro
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I think the film was saying we make our own choices...

Not sure about that... We could also see it more as all 'choices' being simultaneous, basically and inevitably leading to the same conclusion.

For someone experiencing choicelessness in 4 dimensions (3+Time), I think this movie takes choicelessness to a more multidimensional level...

Taking it even further, let's consider 'The Big Crunch'. This may signify all VIRTUAL/imagined 'choices' imploding, and inevitably leading to the ONE and ONLY thing/event that ACTUALLY happens.

The 'Big Crunch' (Implosion/Event Horizon/etc...) is marked by the dying virtual Nemo saying the name 'Anna' - which marks the collision of all possible/imagined realities into ONE.

The movie focuses on one single moment... Now let's consider the possibility that EVERY 'moment' is exactly like that...

Therefore - no choice, really, ultimately...

Live with it.

Live with what? Making 'own' choices? I can certainly tell myself that (that I always have a choice), but does it make it so?

It took a little more than a few minutes for me to decide Androgynus.

Hmm... I 'should' have said that it took ME a few minutes to decide... But I didn't... Did I really have a choice about it?

And now I'm feeling that all that I'm typing this very moment is 'already' scripted :)

PS: I think that grasping Infinity goes hand in hand with grasping Choicelessness...

Ghislain
07-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Perhaps that is why I am haunted by that repetative question..."why am I me?"

I didn't get a choice for that responsibility, I just am.

When I wrote, "Live with it", I meant live with the choices you make as you can't take them back...just like
the smoke won't return to the cigarette.

The other day I was talking about the power of words...how simply saying the wrong thing can cause irreparable
damage...words, once spoken, are very difficult to retract...like the cigarette smoke.

Never underestimate the power of the magic word "sorry” :)

And remember forgiveness is also a choice one might want to consider a little deeper; you dont have to wait
for that magic word and forgiveness can be for yourself as well as others...we are all capable of making the
wrong choice.

Having said that I guess it seems life isn't choiceless at all, but a series of choices ad infinitum.

Ghislain

Andro
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
As I said before, there are no actual choices in my reality.

Following the movie's paradigm (for example), as I am typing these words, let's say I can (although not consciously) 'see' ALL (not just 3, but an infinity of infinities) of possible variations/virtual choices/outcomes of this very moment, until they implode back to the choice-less singularity that is NOW. What happens is what will always have happened, each and every so-called 'moment', with all possible infinities INEVITABLY converging into ONE, Right Here, Right Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HL1IlmEyFo).

we are all capable of making the wrong choice.

There is no such 'thing' as a 'wrong choice' in my reality. It is what it is, not what it 'should be'. And if something really 'should have been' where one might think it wasn't - then it actually was.

Having said that I guess it seems life isn't choiceless at all, but a series of choices ad infinitum.

From where I'm looking, the 'ad infinitum choices' are not really choices, but perceptions, sights (as in 'seeing', not as in 'choosing'), with every moment being accompanied by seeing an entire Multiverse of possibilities which eventually implode into the Big Crunch/Singularity of the moment that IS, because it cannot be otherwise :)

We may be experiencing a (choice-less and inevitable) clash of perspectives :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't get the sorry / forgiveness connection.

solomon levi
07-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I had seen this movie a couple times. I really like it.
It's that other dimension where all choices are played out instead of just one.
But all choices is a dimension contained in another dimension which
makes the all-choices dimesnion one choice/no choice relatively (big crunch).

Reminds me of Matrix - You've already made the choice. Now you have to understand it.
(or something like that)

This is really clear. I don't mean anything mystical by 'dimension'.
One line contains all/infinite points; one plane contains infinite lines, etc...
Infinite choices/lines are one choice/plane. One choice = no choice.

If people would see this, there is no point (hehe! pun) to cultivating,
say compassion, to relate to another thread. Compassion is one point
among infinite points. Just become the line. Or, if compassion is a line
become the plane. The "choice"/will/belief etc of/in compassion, or whatever,
collapses the infinite potential of the plane above into one line.
Not right or wrong - just see/understand what you're doing. :)

oh - when I say "just become the line/plane", I mean realise you already are.
There's nothing to DO/become. Doing collapses the dimesnion of infinite potential
that you would be "trying" to "become". That's impossible.
That's why this view is choiceless and effortless - it is what you innately inherently
already are and have always been.

Bel Matina
07-15-2012, 07:18 AM
I just wanted to add The Dark Crystal and The Secret of NIMH as obvious additions to this list. Regarding the latter, I mean the movie, not the book - Alchemical elements were added post hoc, and I'm not entirely convinced that whoever did it had terribly deep insight into their meaning. Rings nicely anyway, though.

Japan positively fetishizes Alchemy and the cartoons concerned solely with it are too numerous to name. It's to the point that a subset (a subset!) of them constitute a genre that I've come to call, "big boobs, blonde hair, and Alchemy."

They've got some good titles, but most of the ones in the aforementioned genre aren't.

Nibiru
07-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I just wanted to add The Dark Crystal and The Secret of NIMH as obvious additions to this list. Regarding the latter, I mean the movie, not the book - Alchemical elements were added post hoc, and I'm not entirely convinced that whoever did it had terribly deep insight into their meaning. Rings nicely anyway, though.

Japan positively fetishizes Alchemy and the cartoons concerned solely with it are too numerous to name. It's to the point that a subset (a subset!) of them constitute a genre that I've come to call, "big boobs, blonde hair, and Alchemy."

They've got some good titles, but most of the ones in the aforementioned genre aren't.

These were two of my favorite movies as a child, I recently purchased them in dvd format to keep as part of my collection. A couple more good children's films along these lines are, "The Last Unicorn" and "Watership Down". My favorite book as a very young child was called, "Horton Hears a Who!". It's been made into a movie but I don't know how well it relates to the book.

Ghislain
07-15-2012, 10:09 PM
The Last Mimzy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0768212/) ticks a lot of boxes

Ghislain

Andro
08-04-2012, 12:12 AM
'The Wisdom of Crocodiles', a.k.a. 'Immortality':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iE8iIhgumOM

Krisztian
08-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Androgynus, the one you posted, Immortality or, with it's British title, The Wisdom of the Crocodile is one of my favorite films! I enjoyed the scenes of his hidden room, very symbolic of the occult. The door itself seems to open requiring of both left and right hand, dramatized like a spreading of the wing of a creature.

There's speaking of dew, spring moisture, urine, as carriers of vital force or universal fire on this Forum, this film, clearly, dramatizes blood as the substance that holds the key for immortality. Here we go again with animal alchemy?

Thanks for the thought down on my memory-lane.

pneumatician
09-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Malpertuis

http://www.fandango.com/malpertuis_v101056/plotsummary

Nibiru
10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZMF_pyfPg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZMF_pyfPg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dwcreMCL3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dwcreMCL3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vre-ZTf5_CQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vre-ZTf5_CQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EcthclQcoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EcthclQcoQ

Nibiru
10-11-2012, 02:57 AM
and the sequel, for anyone who may be interested..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBEJKymuk6k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBEJKymuk6k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68dho6ahJA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68dho6ahJA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFKdWk8Ink&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFKdWk8Ink&feature=relmfu

Andro
11-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I highly recommend the following movies, not only for the Alchemical and/or Philosophical twists...

The Nines (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810988/)

http://www.kat.ph/torrentwidget/7EBEB8FD27C062D9EBF800E25728570E7DE8E4D5.png (http://www.kat.ph/the-nines-2007-limited-720p-bluray-x264-an0nym0us-publichd-t6253775.html)

The Mysterious Stranger (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084374/)

http://www.kat.ph/torrentwidget/65c4a362260ee548683b5617cea812f055a24551.png (http://www.kat.ph/the-mysterious-stranger-1982-tv-t2194771.html)

The Man From Earth (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/)

http://www.kat.ph/torrentwidget/d8f74fe6e639f966ed23a6f6c6a8354fa33438fd.png (http://www.kat.ph/the-man-from-earth-2007-dvdrip-ac3-eng-fxg-t3228.html)

Donnie Darko (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/)

http://www.kat.ph/torrentwidget/f343ffca209ac80c99416e87646e7dd6e32ecd1b.png (http://www.kat.ph/donnie-darko-2001-dvdrip-eng-bugz-t840428.html)

------------------------------------------

solomon levi
11-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Watched the man from earth last night. That was fun. :)

I've been thinking and seeing about the train station Neo was trapped in in the Matrix...
it's alchemically significant. Real power comes after one can free themselves from the train station,
and the SM.

Andro
11-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Real power comes after one can free themselves from the train station, and the SM.

Do you mean that real power comes from SM, or from freeing oneself from it? (Actually, I can relate to it either way :))

The train station is kind of Ouroboros-like, isn't it?

solomon levi
11-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Do you mean that real power comes from SM, or from freeing oneself from it? (Actually, I can relate to it either way :))

The train station is kind of Ouroboros-like, isn't it?

Yeah - I meant to be able to free the SM from its train station prison. ;)
And free the soul from its cage as well.
Not that I think this is how it should be... thus I say "to be able to..."
Vacuums and skeletons are interdependent and complimentary...
alchemy is one possible way, not the right way. etc,. :)

skeleton/prison/earth/calcium phosphate/thigh bone/cage/nest...

interesting word of the day: soma
soma as greek = body. recall Plato's "soma-sema"/body-prison/sepulchre...
soma is also a cell wall/skeleton (endo/exo)...
soma is also the food of the gods...

Ghislain
11-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Here's a curious parable,"Perfect Sense (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1439572/)", with Ewan McGreggor and Eva Green.

Check it out...it may surprise you.

Ghislain

Andro
11-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Here's a curious parable,"Perfect Sense (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1439572/)", with Ewan McGreggor and Eva Green.

Check it out...it may surprise you.

Just finished watching it... Knocked me down senseless :)

Maybe this is the needed precursor for returning to our telepathic abilities?

http://www.kat.ph/torrentwidget/064BFDCE4B950297BA00413474A011C90B0E8EA1.png (http://www.kat.ph/perfect-sense-2011-brrip-xvid-etrg-t6334808.html)

Ghislain
11-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Maybe this is the needed precursor for returning to our telepathic abilities?

Androgynus...while thinking of the implication of losing all five senses...although I don't believe the film covered touch...did it?
I came to the same conclusion/question...would our sixth sense better develop?

Ghislain

Awani
11-12-2012, 02:32 AM
I'll see it as well.

Started watching The Mysterious Stranger, I like the plot... but I fell asleep (not due to the film) so I will see the rest today. The so-called alchemist in the story is a real asshole! Ha ha!

Awani
11-13-2012, 06:48 AM
I highly recommend the following movies, not only for the Alchemical and/or Philosophical twists...

The Mysterious Stranger (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084374/)

Great film!

August: She'll tell everyone.
Mysterious Stranger: Not if we kill her.
August: Don't be insane.
Mysterious Stranger: She got to die sometime, August. It really doesn't matter when.
August: You can't go around just killing people.
Mysterious Stranger: Why not? Other people do. Human beings aren't important.

solomon levi
12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
The Cosmic Giggle... looks good.
trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyWO9OWWFZI

3+O(
01-29-2013, 05:44 PM
upcoming, The Great Work, where an IT takes a year off to try to perfect the manufacture of gold:
http://grtwrk.com

no idea whether it will have any value or not.

Ghislain
02-03-2013, 04:23 AM
What came first Dark City (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929/), The Truman Show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120382) or The Matrix (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)?

The reason I ask is that they all seem to have ripped off each others ideas; I would guess Dark City.

Ghislain

Ghislain
02-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I have, for a long time now, believed I can have anything I want if I really want it and believe I can
have it.

Not everyone will see this post, but if you have then you were meant to; believe it!

If you look at your life and the things you want but don’t have, then look a little deeper and you will
see the doubts or “barriers of reason” where you tell yourself you can’t have them.

By directing your attention to something you want brings power to those things, but directing
attention to things you don’t want has the same effect; it is known as “The Law of Attraction” This is
explained in a docu-film, “The Secret”.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but if so here it is again :)

The Secret”, IMDB

Interviews with leading authors, philosophers, scientists, with an in-depth discussion of
the Law of Attraction. The audience is shown how they can learn and use 'The Secret' in
their everyday lives.

HERE (http://www.movie2k.to/The-Secret-watch-movie-1117523.html)is a link to the film “The Secret”.

When the page opens click on,

“Close Ad and Watch as Free User”

This may start a lot of pop ups...just ignore or close them as required.

In the same place where you just clicked will be another button,

“Start Video Now”

Click on this and again the pop ups will start...again ignore or close them.

Now the film will start...make it full screen and enjoy.

Ghislain

Ghislain
02-05-2013, 07:11 PM
HERE’S (http://filenuke.com/scnder8wabmw) one to watch, it’s called, “I Am” and it’s by Director, Producer and Screenwriter Tom Shadyac. (http://www.fandango.com/tomshadyac/filmography/p110918)

This one is a little difficult to get started and it buffers badly, but if you can bear with it you won’t be disappointed.

When you click on the link, a page will come up with two columns headed Premium and Free. Click on the
word “Free” then a page comes up with a video in the middle plus some pop ups. Close the pop ups and
click the play button at the bottom of the video screen. More pop ups will start...close
these and then click the play button again and the video should start...hopefully :)

If you see a snow globe on the screen I think that’s it.

If you know of a better place to stream this from please post.

Ghislain

Ghislain
02-09-2013, 11:45 PM
This thread comes from a quote by Dev taken from Ayn Rand’s novel “Atlas Shrugged” in the thread
started by Solomon Levi, Wealth in the Light of Initiatic Science (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?605-Wealth-in-the-Light-of-Initiatic-Science) post #6, 05-01-2009

I have the book, but as yet have not read it as it sits in a mountain of books waiting to be read...:(

Then I stumbled upon some films and thought they would make a good introduction to the book.

So here they are...

Atlas Shrugged Part I (http://www.movie2k.to/Atlas-Shrugged-Part-I-watch-movie-934579.html)

Use stream2k to stream the film and don’t click on the PLAY NOW button that’s just a popup. Click on the
play button on the film then go full screen.

Atlas Shrugged part II ( http://www.movie2k.to/ -The-Strike-watch-movie-2510011.html) (in two parts)

Use same as above.

And a documentary about Rand and the book...

Ayn Rand & The Prophecy Of Atlas Shrugged (http://fleon.me/vv.php?Id=e52efb02696e960b95777f09ef7d6044)

Click on the word “continue” in the middle of the screen then click on “Hide the ads”, close any popups, click
play then go full screen.

Not having read the book I would say that it doesn’t end in part II and we can expect another instalment.

Dev, as you have read the book could you tell us if these films do it justice?

Thanks

Ghislain

Awani
02-10-2013, 03:44 PM
The films does not include the last half of the book. The most important part. Maybe they will make it in the future.

The films are ok. It is a heavy book to squeeze into a film, and much better to read.

Ghislain
02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
I shall read the book from where the film left it. It's a big book :)

Ghislain
03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Youth Without Youth (http://www.movie2k.to/Youth-Without-Youth-watch-movie-662020.html)

Francis Ford Coppola

Ghislain

Andro
03-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Youth Without Youth (http://www.movie2k.to/Youth-Without-Youth-watch-movie-662020.html)

Brilliant one ! ! !

HOW didn't I think to recommend this one before...

(Oh, I know why I didn't recommend it before... Because only now it fits into a certain flow occurring in some sections of the forum around here :))

WATCH IT ! ! !

High Quality Download:

http://www.kat.ph/torrentwidget/DD85FE9C9F8C94C4A46EFA848A619A752096A226.png (http://www.kat.ph/youth-without-youth-2007-bdrip-1080p-dts-multisub-highcode-t7051246.html)

Pirate Bay:Youth Without Youth (http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6293523/Youth_Without_Youth_%282007%29%5BDVDRip%5D%5Bbig_d ad_e%5D)

Or watch online HERE (http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/player/putlocker.php?id=IE2FY6COO7404G) (lower quality) or at the link Ghislain posted above.

Rheomode
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Has anyone watched this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_into_Wine

solomon levi
03-16-2013, 09:29 PM
i haven't Rheo. but i dig all things Maynard. i'll see if i can find it.

Anyone watch "Duets"? It's amazing. seen it a dozen times. the journeys of the characters can be viewed alchemically, if you choose. Paul Giamatti at his best. so much fun.
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0134630/

LostGnosticOccultum
04-08-2013, 06:50 PM
I've been looking for some good alchemical movies lately.

Off the top of my head I can think of 2 good ones:
The Fountain;
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8633843159_3e959d9e52.jpg (http://megashare.info/watch.php?id=TVRnME53PT0&epi=1)
which can be streamed here (http://megashare.info/watch.php?id=TVRnME53PT0&epi=1)

And the animated movie "9"
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8534/8633842997_dee5d1a1c8.jpg (http://megashare.info/watch-9-online-TXpjMA)
which can be found here (http://megashare.info/watch-9-online-TXpjMA)

If anyone knows of others please post them and if you can find a link to stream them that would be great too. :D

GOD Bless, LGO

LostGnosticOccultum
04-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi guys, I noticed that we had the alchemical YouTube thread but not an alchemical movie thread which I though would be nice to have as I've been looking for some good alchemical movies lately.

I guess I overlooked this thread haha

LostGnosticOccultum
04-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Heres another good one that I've seen before (I'm surprised I didn't think about it before haha)
The 9th Gate (http://megashare.info/watch-the-ninth-gate-online-TXpVek1nPT0)
The 9th Gate"]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8122/8633843297_e33c4910d1.jpg (http://megashare.info/watch-the-ninth-gate-online-TXpVek1nPT0)

LostGnosticOccultum
04-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Another really good film is a 1995 film called "Powder" (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=QHh1108IRGU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQHh1108IRGU)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8634950394_7aca267eb5.jpg (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=QHh1108IRGU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQHh1108IRGU)
I actually heard of this movie about 5 months ago and just remembered to watch it, it wad awesome I think all who watch will be impressed :)

solomon levi
04-11-2013, 05:43 AM
just watched Stephanie Meyer's 'The Host'... the book was enlightening and the movie was good as far as movies can capture books. maybe i could enjoy the movie because it reawakened the seeds the book planted???
what's great about it is how it shows us ourselves by slightly changing perspective. i mean through a slight bit of fantasy it shows us reality more clearly, like The Matrix.
Particularly this shows us how we are souls, or you might even see how we are hosts to our dna, or our soul.
it also shows the schizophrenia i used to talk about.
you may even get insight into virgin birth, spontaneous non-linear transmutation...
all these happened for me reading the book.

solomon levi
04-11-2013, 05:43 AM
just watched Stephanie Meyer's 'The Host'... the book was enlightening and the movie was good as far as movies can capture books. maybe i could enjoy the movie because it reawakened the seeds the book planted???
what's great about it is how it shows us ourselves by slightly changing perspective. i mean through a slight bit of fantasy it shows us reality more clearly, like The Matrix.
Particularly this shows us how we are souls, or you might even see how we are hosts to our dna, or our soul.
it also shows the schizophrenia i used to talk about.
you may even get insight into virgin birth, spontaneous non-linear transmutation...
all these happened for me reading the book.

LostGnosticOccultum
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
That book was great, unfortunately I haven't been able to snatch the movie yet.

solomon levi
06-05-2013, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijI0lqpmIdc

The Hindu Epic Mahabarata... saw this many years ago, the long 6 hour version in parts.
Just found this edited version... some good things in this "poem".
Of course, like the Bible, this is not a story about people (it is and isn't) as much as archetypes
represented by people.

Andro
12-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Powder (1995) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114168/)

Download via Torrent:

http://www.kickass.to/torrentwidget/9d3a503a50566df45d6aec18eefb45cdaeccc1b8.png (http://www.kickass.to/powder-1995-dvdrip-english-klam-t5824179.html)

Or watch on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8MN_G2X24) (lower quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8MN_G2X24
__________________________________________________ ____

It's probably not among the top movies of the 20th century if you're into gourmet cinema - but it looks (to me) like it was almost tailored for some Alchemists, even if it's not directly implied.

There's nothing 'mystical' or occult in this movie, everything is in plain sight - which can be quite refreshing in the right context.

So stop whatever you're doing and watch this movie right now :)

Andro
10-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Continuing the legacy of movies such as 'Powder' (see the post above this one), 'Limitless' and 'Stargate Atlantis' (Season 3 episode 14 :)), here comes Lucy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/).

http://kickass.to/torrentwidget/ACAFE88A837AB003B8764B4A86765EE3FABD5C60.png (http://kickass.to/lucy-2014-hc-720p-hdrip-x264-ac3-titan-t9659509.html)

Awani
10-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Yeah I saw it in the cinema recently... nice to see Luc Besson back on form.

Ghislain
10-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Weird film with Nicholas Cage and Meryl Streep...

Not much to say about this film but watch it :)

Stream Vid Here (http://ffilms.org/adaptation-2002/)

Then ask yourself what your script would be like?

Ghislain

Awani
10-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Have you seen Being John Malkovich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_John_Malkovich)? If not watch it and then see Adaption again... if you want to go even weirder have a look at:

Synecdoche, New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche,_New_York)

DonSweet
10-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Has this one been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGyYIJpMC-k

DonSweet
11-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Ignoring the fact that he mentions Newton, tell me he isn't talking about Alchemy ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-FOOQ1TpE#t=1073

Ghislain
11-17-2014, 04:51 PM
DS this has been a question that has bugged me for years...How Newtons and Einsteins come about.

At first glance this 11 year old May have just answered my question...I thought it was some kind of magic.

Now how does one stop learning and start thinking? I think that is easier said than done for as one starts thinking you need to learn stuff to prove the things you start thinking about.

Einstein had to go back to his books once he had his theories to mathematically test them.

I don't think my math would ever be near the level I would need to test my theories, as I am sure most of Joe Public's wouldn't, so I think Jacobs theory is missing something.

I wonder what that something is? Perhaps intense focus? But at what cost...social leprosy maybe...is that a price Joe is willing to pay?

The question remains unanswered!

tell me he isn't talking about Alchemy

Could you tell me your perspective on the Alchemy aspect in Jacob's speech?

Thanks

Ghislain

DonSweet
11-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Fascinating post Ghislain ...

Loving the questions you pose.

They are precisely the aspects I'd hoped to provoke.

I've grown up in a family of exceptional people, with all due modesty, and that modesty is most certainly tempered by the fact that these exceptional minds were also often highly dysfunctional, occasionally to the point of "certifiable." It's a delicate balance.

Jacob also eludes to this, talking about being categorized and pigeon-holed by the system, almost as merely a lump of non-functional protoplasm.

Rarely does The System acknowledge something outside its narrow definitions.

I love stumbling across someone like Jacob. At fourteen (his age when this TEDTalk was shot), he's shockingly patient dealing with a roomful of "assholes-that-simply-don't-get-it."

Yeah ... I think that's what he's politely telling everyone in the audience, including video viewers.

People like this think on multiple levels simultaneously ... something I'm not unaccustomed to. My step-father's father was a literal genius who expressed himself largely as a professor of archeology at Drew University, but had several other pursuits. Exposed to him [heavily] in my early adult years, it was a challenge to have a conversation with him. We, however, developed a deep mutual respect, even friendship. We almost went into business together, him having vast resources I could benefit from. Unfortunately, I was forced to apply power brakes to it when I discovered I would merely become a subordinate toy for his amusement. That can happen with high functioning savants. All this never really effecting a change in our core friendship.

But Jacob seems to have a compassion (perhaps even empathy) for the rest of us. After all, he wouldn't have bothered with this talk at all if he didn't. In fact, he specifically states that he'd like to see us all excel to "his level" (my paraphrasing) ... which was also Newton's and Einstein's level.

I believe he's categorizing "learning" much the same way I do, which is in the classic academic sense ... memorize and regurgitate.

Child's play.

A book packed with fascinating, deep, expansive, highly intricate information laying on a table is just so much paper pulp.

Useless.

That's conventional "learning."

Useless ...

... save, perhaps, by the average industrialist that requires labor from semi-literate automatons.

Have I insulted modern culture yet?

I was hoping to.

I think what Jacob is coming out and saying ... not just insinuating ... is "You dipshits are doing it exactly wrong and you need to stop doing that and start doing this."

There are moments in this talk when I think Jacob would take great pleasure in going from seat to seat in that auditorium banging each audience member on the head with a stick asking, "Are you getting this asshole?"

Now ... I don't think there's a single thread of "meanness" in what he feels or what he'd like, but I can unquestionably feel his frustration. I think he's young enough where that frustration hasn't become true "damage." Maybe we'll all be lucky enough where he's never damaged by it. His existence and interaction with us "mere mortals" may actually become benevolent if it isn't.

So Ghislain, your question about Alchemy is fairly easily explained based on Jacob's criteria. One of the reasons I related to it has been my experience with Native Americans. In that, it's emphasized (in so many words) that "information" is fine ... even necessary ... but it's not "everything" ... it's not the whole enchilada ... which Western Culture (particularly academia) would have you believe.

What's FAR more important is "understanding" which Western Thinkers reject outright without the acquisition of information FIRST.

This is backwards.

Now, it can be argued that the empirical process itself is precisely correct ... formulate a hypothesis, establish a criteria, define a methodology, employ that methodology, then extract a pier-reviewed, repeatable conclusion.

But ...

... where the hell does this "hypothesis" come from?

Simple.

"Understanding."

PRIOR to irrefutable "proof" some crazy-ass scientist "believes" something to be the case.

Sadly, the empirical community focuses on the irrefutable proof, not the original process of acquiring a hypothesis. Until the hypothesis is proven, the asshole that proposes it is just a moronic dipshit with no proof.

The whole thing short-circuits my brain.

Western Culture wants the whole thing ... the whole enchilada ... proven, written in a book, laying on the table, finalized and completed ...

... instant gratification incarnate.

That ain't the way of things.

Our worldly experience is about EXPERIENCE ... about process ... not finality.

Oh, finality is fine ... glorious ... even fun ... but there's always something more ... there's always something more ... so life itself isn't about "conclusion" ... but the conclusion that leads to the next conclusion.

See the difference?

One is "linear" ... conclusive ... terminated ... beginning-middle-end.

The other is cyclical ... The Golden Mean ... The Golden Ratio ... The Fibonacci Sequence ... Pi ... interminable.

That's the glorious beauty of it.

Ghislain
11-18-2014, 01:11 PM
I can see where you're coming from DS...

Although I wasn't a grade 'A' student it did bother me to watch people taking notes and learning them by rote without understanding the principles of the subject they were memorizing.

In an examination they would regurgitate their memorised notes to acquire top grades, but these grades did not reflect their understanding of the subject, but rather their ability to remember information.

I was the class bane as I could not move on until I had an understanding of what was being proffered. Numerous times people thanked me for getting the tutors to clarify the information put forward. I would ask them why they didn't ask for further clarification themselves and they would just say, 'I didn't like to ask'. :confused:

I cannot understand people who want to acquire qualifications in subjects that they will never fully understand! I believe this to be the majority. What I found even more annoying is that when you do ask the tutor to clarify the information they are putting forward it becomes obvious they don't really understand it either.

It is this type of learning that is holding us back for without an understanding of your subject you cannot possibly build on it and move it forward, all you can do is repeat that which has been given; some people are masters at regurgitating the information in such a way as to simulate an understanding.

I once had a math tutor who would show the class a formula and then go through an explanation of its generation, giving the history of the person responsible and what inspired them at that time. Needless to say we all ended up with an understanding of what he taught. Unfortunately the university let him go as his department (pure maths) had been dropped. I went to my head of department to explain they should keep him on to educate their lecturers on how to lecture...my plea fell on deaf ears. :(

I wish I could understand... :(

Ghislain

DonSweet
11-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Ghislain ...

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b633/DonSweet11/BoldBW_zpsa26142e5.jpg

DonSweet
11-18-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm not a big fan of "movies" teaching things. Who produced it? Who paid to say these things? What were their motives? What's the "real" message?

Here's a good example. Good words, but the whole damned thing is a Coke commercial ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2Cg6koHPQ

DonSweet
11-18-2014, 03:48 PM
By the way Ghislain ...

Your problem in understanding is that you're "trying to make entirely too much sense."

The System doesn't want sense, it wants obedience.

Andro
11-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Not explicitly Alchemical, yet very much so.

Predestination (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/)

Perhaps not the ultimate mindfuck movie, but pretty damn close, IMSO.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOpfpYijHA

Watch in theaters, get the DVD or download via torrent:

http://kickass.so/torrentwidget/840A75E23E95C3C90444ED75257A5CD3E9D6EC17.png (http://kickass.so/predestination-2014-720p-bluray-x264-dts-rarbg-t9885875.html)

The protagonist has many parallels to the Philosophical Matter :)

If I could watch only one movie this year, this one would be it.

Awani
11-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Perhaps not the ultimate mindfuck movie, but pretty damn close, IMSO.

Or a recent South Park episode on Virtual Reality...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grounded_Vindaloop

Awani
11-28-2014, 08:42 PM
If I could watch only one movie this year, this one would be it.

It was good, but I still prefer Interstellar... but I think that is due to personal reasons...

If only the average studio going audience was smarter, or Hollywood thought they were smarter... this film should have been much harder to figure out. I wish they had done it so the audience (I) don't realize 'the truth' until the very end.

Still in my opinion it is only the third best of 2014, as I think Interstellar and Lucy are much better.

SPOILER ALERT (don't read beyond this): And she doesn't look like a man one bit, IMO.

Awani
11-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Good words, but the whole damned thing is a Coke commercial...

But we are a part of the Coke as well, are we not?

I'm not a big fan of "movies" teaching things. Who produced it? Who paid to say these things? What were their motives? What's the "real" message?

You can say this about any teachings... the responsibility lies with the student not the teacher, with the receiver not the speaker.

DonSweet
11-29-2014, 06:09 PM
dev ...

Slept on your comments to my post.

Slightly confused over your choice of words about "the Coke" as well as your precise point. I suppose I resist being part of any "Coke" culture ... much like I'd resist The Borg ... save for the fact that it's the only cola some restaurants serve.

In my struggle to understand, I'll attempt to clarify my point.

The concepts the clip presents are great, but I suppose I resist how they manifest ... as a result of advertising. Now, resisting that may be entirely incorrect since screenplays are written, they acquire a budget and are produced, in which "product placement" is bought and paid for by corporate or commercial concerns, supplementing the budget ... a necessary evil.

The scene itself may not have been produced exclusively by Coke in order to sell Coke, but only the producers would know for sure. What is known, is that the film clip is at least partially intended to sell Coke.

You recently asked me, "Why so serious?" ... and herein lies part of the answer.

I abhor "pollution" and intentionally applied toxins in our environment, whether physical or psychological. To me, "that's-just-the-way-it-is" isn't good enough (not to say that's what you're saying in this or any other instance). Accepting what "is" as a matter of fact on its face value is what got DDT killing off wildlife in the 60's, or industrial/commercial/municipal effluent as a common addition to our waterways around the same time, or even the buy-this-and-you'll-be-happy crap that's a result of the industrial revolution ... or any other number of matter-of-fact wholly unnecessary injections of useless or even detrimental aspects of human activity.

Is all this business, commerce and money-changing necessary? Frankly, I think that's up for serious debate, although both a lifelong friend retired from banking and several hundred thousand others might vigorously disagree with me. Personally, recalling your own citations of "immature," a culture that blindly accepts "it's-just-business" in its narrowest most limited sense is worse than infantile. "Greed is good," is about as childish, arrogant and even narcissistic as it gets. There's better ways of doing things. And it could be considered even worse than that since we know there's better ways, but refuse to consider changing one iota. That's gluttonously refusing to let go of a nipple we've been feeding from that we no longer need.

But then, I'm citing all this smack dab in the middle of our evolution, and few, if any, can clearly define where we "should be," as opposed to where we actually are. It may well be that we're precisely where we should be, and that place is still quite immature.

Anyway ... I simply find it galling that an international conglomerate founded on the promotion and sale of effervescent caramel flavored sugar water is necessary to manifest expressions of wisdom.

As far as your student responsibility statement, I'll agree with you whole-heartedly ... truly ...

However ...

... (the use of "however" not intended to negate my agreement) ...

I'm compelled to point out that many, many cultures clearly, distinctly, even vigorously, possibly even under the threat of violence, insist that the average person submits utterly to higher authority and everything it teaches and espouses.

"Do it our way or there will be consequences."

I can't remember a single teacher or professor in my history that began a single lecture or class that began with, "You can choose to disbelieve me if you like ..." or anything of the sort. In virtually every instance the underlying theme was, "Do it this way or you will experience great distress, pain and consequence."

That doesn't even hint at student discretion.

It may well be that you were exposed to either a family or social [or even educational] dynamic that taught you to be critical of your "masters," teachers or otherwise, but that is very rare. It is not the experience of the average person, even to the point where such questioning becomes the subject of potential [or even likely] ridicule, instilling a lifelong fear of it.

Essentially, the common experience is the message, "Obey."

I suppose we've both learned otherwise ...

... and in my case, I'm breaking even my own "mandates" by discussing this with you at all ... since I've suggested that you and I are oil and water and shouldn't even attempt to get into stuff.

Guess that's just the oppositional Bohemian in me.

**smile**

**wave**

Andro
11-29-2014, 07:19 PM
I simply find it galling that an international conglomerate founded on the promotion and sale of effervescent caramel flavored sugar water is necessary to manifest expressions of wisdom.

Nobody is forcing you to drink coke, just as nobody is forcing you to take the wisdom.

Apply discernment, take what you need and discard the rest/superfluities.

In Input as well as in Output, separate the pure from the impure, the subtle from the gross.

Ilos
12-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Hey guys,
Have you seen the movie "The Physician" It has a bit of history about Avicena :D
The movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2101473/)

Ghislain
12-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Just watched it...good film.

One quote from the film I liked was when Avicenna said, "How pale and tedious would this world be without mystery."

I have to agree.

Ghislain

Ghislain
03-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Phenomenon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117333/)

Lovely film (http://www.alluc.com/l/Phenomenon-1996-BRRip-720p-x264-AAC-KiNGDOM-mp4/r785l44) with some interesting points.

Ghislain

Ilos
04-26-2015, 02:11 PM
I kinda like Russell Crowe and went to look on google to see if I can find a good movie with him, than found this old movie, Its called Rough Magic, (one of those movies that you have watches as a kid and didn't had any idea what was going on than forgot all about it). It is a bit naive and old fashioned but Its really fun to watch, a nice adventuress, funny and love story involving some good magic insights. Enjoy :D
I think it deserves a spot in our alchemists list.

imdb.com/Rough Magic (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114303/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

Ilos
05-08-2015, 10:31 AM
The Alchemist's Letter Short Film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgdrQh0pg7w

Ghislain
07-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Mr. Nobody (http://twomovies.us/full_movie/131/485947/1/)

Ghislain

Ghislain
07-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Watch the bit at about 00:14:20, the Angels of Oblivion make you forget everything.

Ghislain

Ghislain
05-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Synchronicity (http://vumoo.at/videos/play/watch-synchronicity-88909)

Ghislain

zoas23
05-02-2016, 03:12 PM
A lovely short film by Raul Ruiz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JznJGF2jkkI

EDIT: use the "CC" button... it has English subtitles.

Andro
05-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Synchronicity (http://vumoo.at/videos/play/watch-synchronicity-88909)

A quote from this movie:

"Time is a great teacher that eventually kills all of its students."

Ghislain
05-06-2016, 11:49 PM
HERE (http://vumoo.at/videos/play/watch-racing-extinction-88805) you can watch the film, "Racing Extinction", you may have to close a few ad's if you don't have an ad' blocker.

If you do decide to watch the film you may want to donate to those that make this possible HERE (http://www.opsociety.org/donations/) at OPS (Oceanic Preservation Society)

Filmmaker Louie Psihoyos, along with activists, scientists and others, draws attention to mankind's role in a potential loss of at least half of the world's species. The documentary follows undercover activists trying to stave off a man-made mass extinction.

Creator: Louie Psihoyos
Stars: Elon Musk, Louie Psihoyos, Jane Goodall, Leilani Münter

Ghislain

3+O(
05-23-2016, 07:30 PM
A Field In England (2013) (www.imdb.com/title/tt2375574/)

Amid the Civil War in 17th-century England, a group of deserters flee from battle through an overgrown field. Captured by an alchemist, the men are forced to help him search to find a hidden treasure that he believes is buried in the field.

JinRaTensei
06-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Embrace of the Serpent

The movie was just added to "my" usual streaming site. Imo, it looks pretty amazing and has very good IMDB ratings.

It is a kind of "Film Noir" about shamanism and to my untrained eye it looks very authentic ( for cinema standards).

Movie for free:

http://www.primewire.ag/watch-2778534-Embrace-of-the-Serpent-online-free

Movie trailer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS73P3hZvPA

Awani
06-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Yes, that film is amazing!!! Based on a true story, but some freedom has been taken to what actually happened.

zoas23
06-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Can't remember if I already posted this one or not... but looking at the thread I didn't find it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZy0ywYewE

(As far as I know, this is the first known film that has an explicit alchemical reference).

Andro
10-08-2016, 01:20 PM
I haven't seen this one yet, but this is the description from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5128826/):

The Alchemist Cookbook (2016)

Suffering from delusions of fortune, a young hermit hides out in the forest hoping to crack an ancient mystery, but pays a price for his mania.

Ghislain
02-16-2017, 01:09 AM
Amazing the connections in this film.

The film has its flaws, but in general an amazing film.

Einsteins God Model (https://123movies.is/film/einsteins-god-model--19395/watching.html)

On my PC it comes up unsafe site, just go to details and visit site anyway, I always do and works for me.

Ghislain

Ghislain
02-16-2017, 01:44 AM
I haven't seen this one yet, but this is the description from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5128826/):

The Alchemist Cookbook (2016)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9CzBfyQROA

Ghislain

Ghislain
02-16-2017, 03:19 AM
Watched it...too weird for me :confused:

Some funny bits. :)

The Alchemist Cookbook (https://123movies.is/film/the-alchemist-cookbook-16978/watching.html)

Ghislain

Ghislain
03-02-2017, 06:56 PM
If you want the answers to Alchemy I think this is the film ;)

John Dies At The End (https://123movies.is/film/john-dies-at-the-end-10550/watching.html)

Ghislain

JDP
05-21-2017, 01:42 PM
Disney's 1981 film Dragonslayer (IMO the best dragon-themed movie ever made) has no less than 3 scenes with references to transmutation, which I think is a record:

1- Ulrich the sorcerer tells his apprentice Galen that he actually saw a guy named "Balizarius" (or "Balatherius", or something to the effect) turn lead into gold, and laments that he could never do that.

2- Ulrich's servant is trying to conceal his master's "magical ashes" from Galen, who jokingly teases him: "What have you got there, Hodge?... Some gold, eh? What do you say I turn it into lead?" (alchemical humor, brilliant! I don't recall any other movie having alchemical jokes.)

3- After King Casiodorus gains possession of Galen's amulet, he and one of his advisers try to use it to turn lead bars into gold, but the amulet refuses to obey and instead burns the palm of his hand.

Not having to do with alchemy, but yet another of the many great scenes in this movie: when Tyrian (masterfully played by the late John Hallam) confronts Ulrich (also masterfully played by the also late Sir Ralph Richardson) and those who seek his "magical" help without requesting proof of such claims first. A very poignant comment on the claims and "deeds" of magicians/sorcerers/necromancers. A nice short lesson in skepticism and critical thinking.