PDA

View Full Version : Making ORMUS with Stir Plate?

Manna Man
03-02-2019, 06:32 AM
Aloha,

I'm setting up my lab to do Sodium Hydroxide ORMUS so everything has to be a bit more serious and protective. The pH meter, Stirring and injecting the Lye is a bit of a handful, was wondering if it would be okay to make it using a magnetic stir plate, so that the liquid was constantly moving and I wouldn't have to think about it, all I would have to do with my hands is attach the pH meter and drip in the Lye.

You think the moving magnets will effect the final outcome? :confused:

Kiorionis
03-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Personally I think it’s a good idea. The automatic stir plates definitely make it less of a stress when adding toxic chemicals.

The only thing, I think, which would effect the final outcome is if your stirring magnet was damaged and the iron/magnet was exposed from beneath the protective (usually PTFE) coating.

Manna Man
03-08-2019, 03:00 AM
Do you think leaving the stir magnet in the container during settling and washing will affect the final outcome?

Kiorionis
03-08-2019, 01:37 PM
I don’t know :)

Manna Man
03-10-2019, 07:45 PM
I left the magnet in there and the batch turned out very strong.... my next batch I will remove the magnet and see if it's similar. So conclusion at the moment is, it either doesn't do anything, or it makes it stronger.