PDA

View Full Version : Wealth in the Light of Initiatic Science

Solve et Coagula
04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Wealth in the Light of Initiatic Science I

Money is not, as many people believe, 'the root of all evil'. There is something within human beings that uses money as a means to express its greed. Do away with money and put anything else in its place and, as long as people continue to be possessed by their own weakness, base appetites and passions the probablem will be the same. So it is not money that is to blame, but man. Man is not sufficiently enlightened, he doesn't know what attitude to adopt with regard to money, how to use it properly, for what reasons and what purpose it should be used. In itself, money is neither good nor bad; it is neutral. At the same time, it is a tremendously powerful means in the hands of those who possess it and this is why it can be used either to destroy or to save. The whole question, therefore, is one of attitude. Money is powerful simply because human beings attribute great value to it. If they decided, tomorrow, to divest money of its value and attribute it to something else, the same pattern would repeat itself all over again, with the same tragedies, the same seductions, the same splendours and the same degradations.

Keep your money in your safe or in your pocket, but never in your head. If you keep it in your head it will be an opaque screen that will cloud your vision. If you keep it before your eyes as an ideal to be reached at all costs, less ready to see people's good points; you will be less considerate, generous and tolerant. You will become severe, intransigent and cruel. To have no money at all, on the other hand, is not desirable either. People have sometimes wanted to live in stark poverty, thinking that it would enhance their spiritual life, and have ended by becoming a useless burden to society. That is not the ideal solution! As long as we are on earth and things are organized as they are today, we need money.

Perhaps, in the future, there will be no more money: our currency will be love. Yes, why not? Love is a far more valuable currency than gold! But it is still too soon for mankind to achieve this conception of things and, as we may be sure that money will be with us for some time to come, it is important to have the right ideas about it so as to avoid becoming a prey to its seductive wiles. That is all we need: the right attitude. It is not wrong to have money. How could you help others if you had no money? It is all very well to have a heart full of love but, if you have nothing else, you still cannot help people materially. I seem to be talking to you as though I had to persuade you - as though you needed to be persuaded that money was necessary! I know that I don't have to worry about that: you all agree that we need money. The only question is how to behave where money is concerned, how to use it.

If you give money to someone who has not achieved the mastery of his thoughts, feelings and desires, he will hasten to use it and abuse it for his own debasement. His new wealth will enable him to ruin his enemies, have all the women he wants, etc. You cannot pin the blame on the money: if the desires of his heart are evil, it is not the fault of money. You can say the same for anything else: oil, gas, coal etc.: you can use them all for constructive or destructive purpose and, if you choose to use them for an evil purpose, it is not their fault. The fault lies with you who harbour evil in your heart.

The conclusion to be drawn from all this is that you must first transform yourself so as to be capable of using money and all your other possessions for no other purpose than your own elevation and the good of humanity. Once you achieve this, you can possess billions and still not fall a prey to it, still resist its lures; you will be in a position, then, to realize the sublime things that you have dreamed of for so long.

Those who are still weak, still subject to their passions should not be given money; that is clear, but if you give money to Masters and Initiates, they will never use it for anything but good. So it is human beings who need to be changed for the better and money can be left to fulfil the purpose for which it was meant; it is not at fault. I have so often heard people saying, 'Money is the cause of all our misfortunes'. Well, they say that as long as they haven't got any, but as soon as they get some we hear a different tune. In the first place, therefore, they are being stupid in failing to recognize the true cause of their misfortunes and, in the second place, they are being dishonest. Two terrible failings! What they should say is, 'Money is very, very necessary. In fact, it's wonderful; but Heaven forbid that I should ever become a slave to it!' If you think that money is the only thing that matters, you will have effectively destroyed the very qualities that would have enabled you to savour the pleasures and delights that wealth can buy. This is the danger: you will have everthing you have ever desired and still be unhappy because you will have everything you have ever desired and still be unhappy because you will have destroyed the element that enabled you to find such exquisite, subtle flavour in every experience. This is the greatest misfortune: to be in a position to have everything you want, to indulge all your desires and to be incapable of enjoying or getting any pleasure out of any of it.

Of course, it is also terrible to be destitute and penniless. But if you had the choice between possessing everything and being incapable of enjoying it on the one hand and, on the other, of possessing nothing but of preserving your powers of enjoyment, you would be better off with the second alternative for, when you have a sense of taste, you can delight in whatever comes to keep this power of enjoyment for it is also linked to health. To be sure, the best of all is to have both: money and the ability to enjoy it. If I see someone hurrying to give me money, I'm not going to fly into a rage and refuse it, but I have not devoted my life to trying to get a lot of money. If it comes, as I say, I'm not going to refuse it or drive it away, but I would never abandon my work to go in search of it: never!

To retain your ability for enjoyment, that si what counts. But only light can give you this sense of taste, this capacity to enjoy everything. Once you have found the light, whatever your activities, whether you are eating, working or going for a walk, everything has the most delicious flavour.

If you don't work with light, if you don't understand what light is, it means that you have not understood the first thing about life. Light is all: light created the world; light is the cause of the universe. Light is a spirit, a spirit that comes from the sun. Each ray is a tremendous force which travels througout the universe to penetrate matter and accomplish its work in it. If ever there were a subject that needed to be studied in depth it is the subject of light: the nature of light, how it works and how we can use it and work with it. He who abandons light and focuses exclusively on money and his business interests is on the wrong track for the gold he is pursuing is, in fact, simply a condensed form of light. Yes, gold is a condensation of the sun's rays which have been collected and fashioned by creatures living underground. What happens when you put gold and silver on a pedestal and neglect light? It means that you are forgetting the father, the cause of all things. Or, if you prefer, you are neglecting the lady of the manor and paying court to her servant.

Naturally enough, when her mistress sees this, she will close her door to you and tell you, ?It is I who am entitled to the place of honour; I see your courting my cook or my chambermaid whereas you should be giving first place in your love and respect to me. Very well, all doors will be close to you!'

When you have money it opens all doors in the physical world, that is true. But the other doors, the doors of peace, happiness, joy and inspiration, the doors of all the qualities and virtues remain closed to you. What good will it do you to find all other doors open if the doors of the sanctuary remain closed to you? Are you incapable of feeling joy or of taking pleasure in anything you do? It is a sure sign that the spiritual doors are closed to you and this means that you have a wrong understanding of life and the values of life.

You must give your love and homage to the lady of the house, the princess; in this way her servants will also serve you. The princess will tell them, 'Give him food and drink; give him clothes and a room', and her servants will hasten to obey: 'Yes, my lady; yes, Your Highness.' Gold is the servant whom we cherish so dearly that we never think about whose service she is in. Gold is dependent on the light of the sun; it is formed by light. So it is light that you must love first and foremost, and the gold will follow; it will come to you. When you walk out with the princess, all her attendants will follow you, ready to serve you. Whereas, if your head is full of gold, it will dazzle and blind you to everything else. Once the idea of money fills your head, you will have eyes for nothing else, not even for the beauty, splendour and intelligence of creation.

You will object, 'What are you talking about? We have to have money.' Believe me, I know better than you how necessary money is. But I still say that you must not fill your head with it; you must not make it your master, your ideal; you must not think that thath is what life is all about. money is a means, a tool, an agent, yes; but not an ideal, not a goal. Your ideal must be something quite different: your ideal must be light; your goal must be light. Never let money become your master; it is a very good servant but a very bad master; as your master it will give you disastrous advice and lead you away from the Kingdom of God. Keep your mind fixed on light, therefore, because, if you possess the light you will be capable of healing yourself, of achieving the mastery of yourself, of understanding the whole of life... and even gold will come your way. But if you don't possess the light, there will always be others more intelligent than you who will rob you of what you have. What else can you expect if you're so stupid?

The trouble is that people are stupid: they have found their attitudes at a commonplace stall in a commonplace market and now they spend their time clamouring for cash, cash and still more cash because, they say, 'If I had lots fo cash I could get everything else I wanted!' Yes, everybody knows that particular stall but almost nobody knows what I know. For I also have a stall in the market and you would do better to come to my stall. You will soon see what you can buy there.

Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov

Continue to read:
http://www.aussenpolitikforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2062

Awani
04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi there... why don't you post an introduction to yourself in the correct area of the forums. If you apply discussion more than preaching you will gain more input!

:cool:

Seth-Ra
04-06-2009, 12:06 AM
ya know, i thought that was a pretty good read. The second part on your link you provided was pretty good too. (wasnt able to read it all just yet though) But i did like the part of the King buying wisdom. ;)

Many should learn this i think. Our society is generally blind in such maters, which shows in everything. (just watch the News, or even T.V. shows, the garbage society throws out, to be pumped back into the heads of the masses.)

Good food for thought, thanks for the post. :)

Seth-Ra

Awani
04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Just copy/paste articles and inserting a link is not really something that is suitable for forums like these!

We have decided to issue a warning (and there shall only be one)!

Please post an introduction and/or take part in the discussions. Otherwise all it seems you are doing is spamming! Regardless if the information is good or not... start a blog otherwise!

Kind regards

d

Play_Dough
05-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Wealth in the Light of Initiatic Science I

Money is not, as many people believe, 'the root of all evil'.

Nope! It's the love and exclusive pursuit of money that is the root of all evil.
Perhaps because it tethers us to 'the below'?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/image_168679-1.jpg (http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=32803xZHKX&i=168679)
Click on image for larger!

Awani
05-01-2009, 05:50 PM
The image was too large so I re-sized it. For the larger version just click on the image.

Nope! It's the love and exclusive pursuit of money that is the root of all evil. Perhaps because it tethers us to 'the below'?

Yes I agree... I have also given some more expanded thoughts to this...

In Ayn Rand's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand) Atlas Shrugged there is a character called Francisco d'Aconia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged) who, upon hearing another character utter the well-known opinion that money is the root of all evil, counters with the question; have you ever asked what is the root of money? He continues:

“Money is a tool of exchange, which can’t exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value.”

“Money will not purchase happiness for the man who has no concept of what he wants; money will not give him a code of values, if he’s evaded the knowledge of what to value, and it will not provide him with a purpose, if he’s evaded the choice of what to seek. Money will not buy intelligence for the fool, or admiration for the coward, or respect for the incompetent.”

“Only the man who does not need it, is fit to inherit wealth – the man who would make his own fortune no matter where he started. If an heir is equal to his money, it serves him; if not, it destroys him. But you look on and you cry that money corrupted him. Did it? Or did he corrupt his money? Do not envy a worthless heir; his wealth is not yours and you would have done no better with it. Do not think that it should have been distributed among you; loading the world with fifty parasites instead of one would not bring back the dead virtue which was the fortune. Money is a living power that dies without its root. Money will not serve that mind that cannot match it. Is this the reason why you call it evil?”

“Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper’s bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another – their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun.”

In 1 Timothy, 6:10, of the New Testament (KJV) it says that the love of money is the root of all evil.

“Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men.” - Ayn Rand

It is not an unreasonable notion to be able to exchange the product of ones efforts for the products of other people’s efforts, but unfortunately nothing is as simple as that since none of us, yet, live in any form of utopia. Money is not what we own, but what owns us. It is not the result of our efforts, but the driving force behind them. Somehow we’ve turned it all upside down.

Money is not the root of all evil, but it is neither the good, rather it is the belief in money that is evil and the belief in oneself that is good. It is laziness and nothing else that has caused the human race the greatest harm. If we still traded amongst ourselves with the products we produced instead of, the much easier to handle, promissory notes then we might remember the value behind each product rather than become blinded by numbers.

horticult
05-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Evil was here pretty long b4 money...

Seth-Ra
05-02-2009, 12:48 AM
In 1 Timothy, 6:10, of the New Testament (KJV) it says that the love of money is the root of all evil.

___

If we still traded amongst ourselves with the products we produced instead of, the much easier to handle, promissory notes then we might remember the value behind each product rather than become blinded by numbers.

So very very true. Nice post and food for though on that one Deviadah. :)

I would also say, to add to the laziness thing, that not being content has also caused much harm. Change what you can for the better, but be content with what you cant. But people always want more, more, more, the incontentness fuels human greed, which is a huge anchor in the "love" of the substance we call "money", as well as the corrupt nature of which it is then used.

~Seth-Ra

Play_Dough
05-02-2009, 02:31 AM
edited....

Yes I agree... I have also given some more expanded thoughts to this...

In Ayn Rand's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand) Atlas Shrugged there is a character called Francisco d'Aconia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged) who, upon hearing another character utter the well-known opinion that money is the root of all evil, counters with the question; have you ever asked what is the root of money? He continues:

It is not an unreasonable notion to be able to exchange the product of ones efforts for the products of other people’s efforts, but unfortunately nothing is as simple as that since none of us, yet, live in any form of utopia. Money is not what we own, but what owns us. It is not the result of our efforts, but the driving force behind them. Somehow we’ve turned it all upside down.

Money is not the root of all evil, but it is neither the good, rather it is the belief in money that is evil and the belief in oneself that is good. It is laziness and nothing else that has caused the human race the greatest harm.

This is all quite excellent!
(Thank you, also, for making the image more manageable).

Personal Note regarding money- as good (God) or evil (dEVIL):
Please excuse my seeming wandering path (this post) to illuminate my personal point-of-view on the money issue. My point-of-view has been formulated by experiences, alchemical texts and commentaries, the past alchemists, and by my contemporaries (this forum as a truly unique and stellar example). My comments, (opinion) represent a 'universal path' (as an ultimate goal or destination) contained within the 'particular (individual) paths'.

It took 3+ hours to write this revised draft and, as a result, I have benefited beyond measure.

I would have given everything that I owned to know this (below) at the beginning of my alchemical practice. In fact, looking back, I see that I did....

Begin.....

Each of the quotations that you cited is valuable and collectively they provide key views for a balanced philosophical inquiry.

The question regarding (opinion) 'money - good or evil ?' seems to go to the very heart and soul of alchemy (to create gold!) and also to the disposition and motivations of each individual alchemist. My personal belief is that 'money' is a symbol for the material plane, and otherwise lacks any inherent ethical predisposition.

I suppose that a key item is the disposition of the individual and how one relates to money...... seeking? ......... utilizing? ....... survival issues? ...... possessing?..... lacking?..... enjoying?.... etc. Or, as implied by one of your references (and the originating post in the thread), 'Do I (psychologically speaking) have money or does money have me'?
What are my predominating thought patterns and activities around finance?

Now, I enter the alchemical cosmology......

- "What did I 'do' in the world"? I tried to make money, the more the better!

- "What do you want to accomplish as an alchemist"? I want to make gold, the more the better!
...... The same 'psychological origination point' (motivation for profit) applied in different contexts (the world, generally and the world of the alchemist).

Hypothetical....
In the universe of the alchemist there are 2 principal streams-of-motivation (aside from great fun):
1) to make gold, be mysterious, and attain wealth, and/or
2) to embrace the alchemical philosophy and, as a result, to focus upon spiritual matters, metaphysics, philosophy and personal growth.
(1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive and each contains elements of the other).

Narrow the focus to #2 .... (to embrace the alchemical philosophy, etc.)

A purely fictional comment -
'I have studied and practiced alchemy for quite a while. In my research, experiments, investigations and discussions with other alchemists I have been introduced to a number of diverse alchemical philosophies including 'inner-alchemy' and, as a result, I am beginning to believe that there is much more to this alchemy stuff (a spiritual side) than meets the eye.

The 'science' part is now entering into metaphysics (hidden causes) and my intuitions are telling me that inside and outside (all is one) are very closely related. I now feel that if I could access my 'nucleus' then I may be able to cause some hypothetical cold fusion** and actually transform my inner reality'.
(** cold fusion - a hypothetical form of nuclear fusion postulated to occur at relatively low temperatures and pressures, as at room temperature and at one atmosphere.)

Perhaps these intuitions (above) mark the shift from outer-alchemy to inner-alchemy... or, restated, a shift from the 'universal path' (alchemical lab experiments) to the 'particular path' (my journey) now armed with the knowledge of transmutation.

Is it possible for the alchemist to reverse the outward flow of his or her consciousness and to go within and to gradually find one's nucleus (The control room - The projector of 'reality')? To shift the focus from 'making gold' (external) to finding the inner gold (nucleus) that represents the creative power of 'The One' (of The Emerald Tablet') which is inside of me also (As Above, So Below).
The alchemist now becomes the crucible for The Great Art of Alchemy.

How this relates to money.....

As the inner-alchemist proceeds he or she discovers (initially) an 'inner labyrinth' of cultural beliefs, personal beliefs, past goals, mental associations, experiences, cause and effect relationships, ego identification stuff, all of which shrouds the inner nucleus in a metaphorical 'iron cloak'.

In fact, the inner nucleus provided (provides) the actual power to weave the contents of the 'inner labyrinth' into a 3D 'reality' which includes the physical body of the alchemist as well as other seeming 'externals'.

Some of the 'inner labyrinth' is beneficial (i.e., ethical, honest, kind, strength, etc.) and other portions of the labyrinth represent dysfunctional items (i.e., fear, hidden anxieties, doubt, etc.). As a result of recognizing these corruptions, the inner alchemist removes them.... and, as a result, the alchemist changes and that change is reflected (eventually) in the alchemist's 3D reality.

It is not too long after that when the alchemist fully understands and believes that 'reality' (i.e., wealth / poverty) is influenced by 'inner conditions'.

As the alchemist proceeds with cleaning out the inner-labyrinth he or she begins to uncover the inner-gold or nucleus of being (the lead goes out and gold appears in it's place).

Finally (for the purpose of this thread) the alchemist realizes that 'wealth' (gold, money, richness of experience and enjoyment) .... is our natural condition and that it was the presence of 'inner corruptions' which had blocked the natural flow of wealth.

So the alchemist, rightly aligned (opinion), does not seek 'gold' externally but obtains 'gold' by removing the inner corruptions (lead) that obstructed the gold's appearance.

Obscurity is vanquished (housecleaning) and then we re-gain the beauty, glory and wonderment of 'The World'. Most importantly the alchemist realizes that 'eternal life' (as a unique creative-consciousness) is our natural condition and that 'death' was a terrible illusion created by the now vanquished inner corruptions.

The Alchemist now becomes (metaphorically) 'The Emerald Tablet' and is 'true' and 'without deceit' and can easily re-mix the alchemical ingredients to bring forth an infinite and eternal array of wondrous events and experiences.

We need not to strive for 'wealth' externally because our striving is, initially, the waging (to wage) of a war among the components of a divided-self. Wealth and well-being are natural conditions so to attain wealth the alchemist removes inner-corruptions rather than 'being in the world' waging a huge and seeming perpetual battle for survival ($).

The entire text of 1 Timothy 6 (verse 10 of which deals with the love of money etc., etc) is advice to not "fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction", .... that is the 'evil part'.
And to, instead, cultivate ethics and perseverance, etc., etc by having 'faith'.
It (1 Timothy 6) focuses upon the removal of inner corruptions.
http://nasb.scripturetext.com/1_timothy/6.htm

So Timothy, it seems, provides advice to non-alchemists who are unable to access the 'inner nucleus'. Timothy is giving advice about 'how to turn a piece of coal into a diamond' and to get a terrible ass-kicking in the process.

The alchemist, on the other hand, seizes the moment (metaphorically) and goes within to the nucleus (alchemical exercises) and rearranges reality....

As such, (opinion) The New Testament is 'Alchemy' transposed into allegory.
It is the Great Art of Alchemy that generated much of 'scripture' and the alchemist can decode the 'hidden and secret' messages of the Western sacred texts (including portions of The Old Testament).

So, 'The One" of The Emerald Tablet is represented, in allegorical form, as the 'Deity' of Christianity (a solar religion), and Judaism (a lunar religion). The word 'religion' means 'to bind back' or the process of restoring an individual's connection to 'The Above'.

As such, 'Alchemy' is the nucleus of the world's major religions, but without all of the drama! It is (Alchemy) a 'scientific' approach to creating a more pleasing unity with 'The Above'. However, the knowledge of these religions is most helpful in assisting to (to consult) decipher many obtuse alchemical renderings.

It seems that the 'Summa Bonum' (The Highest Good) of Alchemy is when all of the infinite fragments of the shattered mirror of 'reality' (in which everything has a unique name and identity) crystalize into one whole reflection that is 'The One' (the unified and un-shatered mirror) and this unified reflection includes the alchemist (All is One).

So.... if we are close relatives of 'The One' then it makes no sense (opinion) to be impoverished, unless that is our choice. As such, the alchemist penetrates the self and goes to the source (inner) rather than grapple with externals (outer) which are merely mirroring internal configurations (poverty /wealth).

The fact of the matter is that it is virtually impossible to be disconnected from 'The One'. We can only have the 'illusion' of separation.

If the alchemical mix of The Sun (the uncreated 'creative consciousness') and The Moon (the created form and context) is optimal then there is no inherent impoverishment.

Alchemy then, it seems, is the unique and original path back to our 'default' condition of 'The All Good'... which includes 'wealth'.

My apologies if I took a circuitous route to express my opinions. The problem (?) is that the Western paradigm lacks the words to relate the unique cosmology of the alchemist..... the one who seeks to turn base materials into gold.

All with my very best regards,

Play_Dough
a two dimensional entity (screen name) following the directions of my otherwise unknowable four-dimensional creator. Imitating the "As Above (multi-dimensional), So Below: (two dimensions)... except, of course, abbreviated. http://forum.alchemyforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Awani
05-02-2009, 09:48 AM
As such, (opinion) The New Testament is 'Alchemy' transposed into allegory... (including portions of The Old Testament).

Yes, an interesting subject in itself. We have some threads on this floating around:

The Bible (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?t=5)

Biblical references of the philosphers stone & alchemy (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?t=143)

The Holy Bible, allusions of Alchemy? (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?t=274)

The Stone in The Book of Daniel (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?t=141)

solomon levi
05-05-2009, 01:24 AM
"Nothing is either good or bad; only thinking makes it so."
William Shakespeare

Thought is the root of all "evil".
Thought creates division.
Before thinking, all is one.
There is no subject-object situation in
which to have judge and judged.
Give up your mind and nothing will ever appear
good or evil to you again.