PDA

View Full Version : The ‘Radical Moisture’ of Greek Medicine

Kiorionis
09-23-2019, 02:08 AM
I’ve been doing some studying lately of Greek Medicine and came across THIS AWESOME SITE (http://www.greekmedicine.net/b_p/Radical_Moisture.html)

The page of interest is on the Radical Moisture, which I’m sure will remind many of you of the Radical Humidity of the Golden Chain and other Alchemical texts.

From the website:

In the Fourth Digestion, right before the Four Humors are congealed and converted into living tissue, an extremely refined essence of all of them is withheld from this process. The Radical Moisture is very precious, and only a few drops of it are distilled from each digestion.

Seraphim
09-25-2019, 09:26 PM
Radical Moisture = Water?

That site on Greek Medicine is interesting.

The Radical Moisture nourishes the organism on a deep and fundamental level.

The Radical Moisture guides the growth, development and maturation of the organism over the long term.

The Radical Moisture is the hormonal essence of the organism.

Weidenfeld
09-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Radical humidity or moisture seem to have been regarded as a real liquid fluidum by Hanckwitz' in his The Course of compleat Chymistry, a work formerly highly esteemed by the fake Italian alchemists Burton aka Tonna, however this work is real: Ms 'The Compleat Course in Chymistry' by Ambrose Godfrey Hanckwitz, never published and seemingly not known to the public, however there should exist a transcripton from the original Ms that is held by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.

Hanckwitz was a German chymist who later became an assistant of Robert Boyle (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Godfrey).

Kiorionis
09-26-2019, 11:13 PM
Radical Moisture = Water?

I don’t think the Radical Moisture of the Greeks equates to Water. It is essentially a ‘distillate’ generated by the process of digestion.

From the Site:

In the Fourth Digestion, right before the Four Humors are congealed and converted into living tissue, an extremely refined essence of all of them is withheld from this process. The Radical Moisture is very precious, and only a few drops of it are distilled from each digestion.

The Radical Moisture is circulated through the bloodstream and is distributed to all the principal and noble organs, which then circulate and distribute a portion of it to their subsidiary organs and attendant vessels.

And here is a quote from the Golden Chain of Homer (p. 92 I think):

Finally, Nature may rightly be called the kidneys and testicles of the macrocosm, since in her especially the confluence of all the radical moisture of the macrocosm takes place and the extract of the whole cosmic system collects, where the age-old Chaos, divided for so much time and so many years, is daily and hourly begotten anew and reborn for the birth, preservation, destruction and rebirth of all natural things.