PDA

View Full Version : Fire Cider Vinegar Tonic

Mrs. Black
05-03-2020, 04:09 PM
Mr Black brought your thread to my attention today, Andro. Wonderful thread topic! Mr B and I embrace naturopathic medicine. He suggested I post one of our newest favorite fermented remedies here in case some of the members would like a tonic for these Covid times.
I think Iíve mentioned before that traditional fermented foods helped heal me of a gut issue some time ago so fare warning, I will bang on about fermenting whenever I get a chance. lol
For those who may not have tried this fermented tonic, here is a lovely, easy recipe. It has quite a reputation for warding off colds and flu and itís delicious. Itís not my recipe per se. There are many version out there on the interwebs. : ) Hereís the recipe we use for anyone that might want to try it out:

FIRE CIDER VINEGAR TONIC
INGREDIANTS
1 medium onion, chopped
10 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
Ĺ cup fresh grated ginger root
Ĺ cup fresh grated horseradish
1 inch fresh grated turmeric (or 1 tablespoon powdered)
2 tbsp dried rosemary leaves
ľ tsp cayenne powder
Apple cider vinegar
Raw local honey to taste

Method
Prepare roots, fruits and herbs and place in a litre size glass jar. If youíve never grated horseradish, be prepared for a sinus opening experience.
Cover your ingredients with apple cider vinegar until vinegar is 1-2 cms from the top.
Cover with a lid and leave to sit at room temperature (or if you're in a cold climate in a warm spot) for 2-4 weeks.
When you are ready to use it strain off the pulp, squeezing out the veggies to get out all their juices and transfer liquid to a bottle or jar.
Discard veggies or reuse them to flavour a stock or broth.
Store fire cider in the fridge and mix with honey to serve.
Serving suggestions - as a tonic to prevent colds and flus take a spoonful each morning mixed with honey. When a cold strikes increase your dosage as needed.
For kids dilute in extra water/ juice and add extra honey or whatever you need to make it palatable for them.
Drizzle on salads as a dressing.
BTW
If you need the fire cider in a hurry you can start to use it from as early as day one after making it but the longer you leave it the stronger and more potent it will become. 3-4 weeks is ideal for this recipe.

elixirmixer
05-04-2020, 01:33 AM
My mouth is watering just reading this recipe. Definitely going to give this a try!

Mrs. Black
05-04-2020, 06:26 AM
My mouth is watering just reading this recipe. Definitely going to give this a try!

I guarantee it will not disappoint. :)

Uambra
05-18-2020, 04:15 PM
This really sounds like fire! ;)

Great idea in general to put something spicy into apple cider vinegar. Maybe I'll try this some day. :)