PDA

View Full Version : Iodine Dissolution of Gold

Vlad
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Several years ago before I had chemicals and did any lab work, while still researching and reading a lot I talked with a guy who had some chemicals and while talking he tried some of the things we talked about.
He had some iodine lying around and a few pieces of gold.
We knew from reading research that potassium iodide and iodine both dissolve gold.
So I suggested he try it.

He put some gold pieces in distilled water with hydrogen peroxide and iodine, and a day or a few days later he got an oil to form on top of the water with purple spots in it. Obviously sublimated iodine.

What I always thought interesting is the oil that got formed. It was for real as he even took pictures of it and I saw them. Unfortunately I didn't save them.

I tried to replicate this after acquiring iodine but never got this oil or even any gold to dissolve.

I also never got any gold to dissolve in a KI/I mix (also known as Lugol's solution) like the friend was able to.

Someone on the Whitegold or ORMUS_SWG lists years ago said Iodine was rumoured to solve gold metal directly to the m-state. I think this rumour was probably true, seeing as I saw the oil myself and I think this oil is a water/m-state polymer.

This is a useful direction for experimenting imo, as Lugol's solution should still be readily available and many pharmacies still carry similar products like Iso-Betadine in Europe. If HCl and/or other chemicals get restricted in the future, it's good to know how to dissolve gold with household chemicals. On that note the friend also got gold to dissolve in bleach, but the iodine route seems more promising if it can yield m-state directly.

Aleilius
04-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I've also heard this before!

I remember reading that bromine is said to also dissolve gold. Elemental chlorine attacks gold too. I think all elemental halogens act on gold (halogens are very reactive, and are hardly ever found in their elemental state).

I'm kind of stumped why his experiments worked, and your experiments did not. That seems anomalous to me.

BTW: Hydrochloric acid isn't very difficult to make. Distill some sea salt, and voila. Of course, this isn't a very OTC process.

solomon levi
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
"If HCl and/or other chemicals get restricted in the future, it's good to know how to dissolve gold with household chemicals."

I've been considering that too. I think it's good to store up the
salts that distill over as the acids.

I tried the bleach, strong vinegar and H2O2 method... it didn't
work for me at that time.

Vlad
06-01-2009, 12:20 AM
More I found in archives on the iodine method:

Dear White Gold Powder Seekers.
Today I have verified my doubts.
Producing nonmetallic white gold powder turned out to be so easy that it is much more than incredible.
Yet it is the most credible logical procedure.
1- Go out to the nearest pharmacy and ask for 500 ml of Iodine Solution.
The medical preparation comes as N/10 or 0.05 mol/liter.
The bottle should contain only water (H2O) and Iodine (I2).
2- Pass by any Do It Yourself store and buy a porcelain crucible, any flask with a tight stopper and any quantity of pure gold leafs
for art work, then buy a square mesh with embedded fire resist.
3- Go home and put some 0.1 g Gold leafs in the very clean flask, then add Iodine little by little while swirling the mixture.
4- Surprise, Gold reacts readily with iodine and dissolves in the Iodine Solution.
5- Put the mesh on the fire stove and place the flask for concentration boiling.
6- Turn off the fire and wait for half an hour for cooling when the Gold Iodide solution's color starts to turn Orange from brown.
7- Put some concentrated Gold Iodide in the crucible and place it on the mesh and put on the fire for drying.
8- Watch out carefully to turn off the fire when the solution dries.
9- Look in the crucible and discover that Gold Iodide has dissociated to white gold powder while Iodine have sublimated.
10- Be sure that there was no free water or enough heat to oxidize the gold at any possible instance in this procedure, and what you
have is pure white gold powder.

Now it is up to you to figure out a way to anneal it in argon, I did my best up till here. -)

Good luck to all of you.
Hemet.

So I have forgotten completely that I used Hydrogen peroxide on my first batch.

When Knowland posted to me saying that the oxidation tables say that iodine-gold reaction is unlikely I found myself saying "who
said iodine? Oh no! shit -), I said iodine, no, No, certainly not".
So, I must apologize to all of you.

---

I concluded two facts from my iodine method.
1- Gold dissolves in iodine water when oxygen water is added and the mix stirred
for enough time.
2- Gold vanishes to oblivion and never returns in any detectable form that I
know of.
I lost about ten grams of gold in my iodine experiments and I think I could do
better if I had a closed loop distillation equipment
to separate the gold from the iodine in a controlled environment.
I might have found the way to produce the most energetic form of m-gold one can
get, if one can get the hands on it. :-)
Kindest regards.
EL

---

I dissolved pure gold in a solution of H2O2 and Iodine solution (5%
I2 +5% KI). It took about 24hr and the reaction appeared to be
complete. I heated the fluid to drive off the excess iodine and to
reduced the solution volume.

I boiled down to powder in pyrex test tube. I had a greyish powder
left over. Then I took the test tube and heated it with a propane
torch. I had the glass glowing red, and the test tube deformed. I saw
the powder melt into a oil material that came to the bottom, it was
glowing orange because it was so hot. The test tube was filled with
purple iodine gas, from the AuI breaking up. I heated it for long
time, and finally it appeared to become a glass. Looked white with a
bit of pink color. There was also a dark spec in the middle of this
material. After cooling I put water in the test tube, and the dark
spec was set free, it was metallic gold flakes which floated up to
the top.

I'm looking into getting a porcelain crucible to use in the future.

On another note, the I took a little bit of the fluid after boil down
and added some NaOH to it and got a purple material to settle out of
solution. Not sure what it is, or if it is of any value.

---

Good day all,

I have played with iodine and got a white stuff, it was a goldiodide
(AuI). It started of a little yellowish and when heated after drying it
turned grayish and when heated very hot it melted to a clear liquid that
turned white on cooling. When mineral oil is added it will slowly go into
the oil giving it a tinge of yellow and the smell of flowers with a hint
mint or cloves. This oil is very good for minor cuts and bruises.

thank you for your time