PDA

View Full Version : My Intro - Hi!

Ghislain
05-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi, I'm Ghislain,

I come from a background of new age Taoism (Daoism) guided by the I-Ching.

When consulting with the I-Ching on Alchemy it has always steered me away in the past.

Recently a family member had an episode of drug induced psychosis and I found them putting salt in everything they were drinking. The person informed me that somewhere they had been told that drinking salt would bring them to enlightenment...they were drinking common table salt to boot...yuk.

I stopped them from continuing this practice and explained what happens to people lost at sea when thirst overcomes them and they partake of the vast ocean before them. It suddenly dawned on me that this person had probably heard of people partaking of Alkahest.

Following a recipe I found online by someone well known beginning with N ... is it ok to mention other people here? ...I have collected some dew, dissolved sea salt as directed and have it cooking at 120F.

I know very little of Alchemy but have come across it as I have studied science and, nearly, all the well known old masters were alchemist too.

The I-Ching is no longer steering me clear so I guess it its time to become associated with this fine art.

Thatís me

If you would like to know more please ask...I'm an open book :)

Play_Dough
05-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi Ghislain,

Welcome to, what I have come to believe is, the most well-rounded, intelligent and earnest group of alchemists that one is likely to find anywhere.

Play_Dough

Ghislain
05-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Play_Dough,

It's good to hear that there are well rounded intelligent people here for as I said, "I am an open book", unfortunately there are many empty pages in there that need filling in. Seems like I came to the right place :)

I have been looking about the forum...much to learn...head's spinning already

I have many questions but not sure how the forum works so I will wait till I am more familiar.

Aleilius
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Welcome to Alchemy Forums Ghislain!

Following a recipe I found online by someone well known beginning with N ... is it ok to mention other people here? ...I have collected some dew, dissolved sea salt as directed and have it cooking at 120F.
Hehe, no worries my friend! We all know Mr. N, and his questionable questionableness. There's a reason why many of the well known alchemists today tend to question him. Not only that, but many alchemists feel that Mr. N lacks all the virtues & ethics of an alchemist. There's nothing to worry about when mentioning him here, but many of us tend to go directly to the source material of the old masters, and not some self proclaimed master like Merlin.

You may view a thread about the dew and salt method (which doesn't work) here: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?t=590. In that thread I've made some interesting statements, and ruffled a lot of feathers. Many of the old masters mention there is only one Philosopher's Stone, and one correct path to this Stone. However, the general consensus today is that it can be made from any matter. I know the path I've cryptically spoken of does produce the real Stone, but sometimes I have trouble believing it is the only way.

Truth and understanding are the catalysts for enlightenment. Nothing else will do!

Awani
05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Glad you found us!

WELCOME!

:cool:

Play_Dough
05-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks Play_Dough,

It's good to hear that there are well rounded intelligent people here for as I said, "I am an open book", unfortunately there are many empty pages in there that need filling in. Seems like I came to the right place :)

I have been looking about the forum...much to learn...head's spinning already

I have many questions but not sure how the forum works so I will wait till I am more familiar.

Ghislain !

May I suggest that you consider making a pencil notation on one of your 'empty pages' .......... The pencil notation is a reminder to read 'The Emerald Tablet" (just search the threads) which is very brief and to consider making an additional notation that says "1 - All is One and, 2 - As Above, So Below".

The Emerald Tablet is (thought to be) the originating writing of Western Alchemical Thought and the notions that 'All is One' and 'As Above, So Below' serve as the foundation for the Hermetic Sciences.

It is, in my opinion, the very best place to start.

Ghislain
05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks Play_Dough

I shall start searching as soon as I log out...the Emerald Tablet sounds familiar for some reason, or am I mixing it up with the rosetta stone \o/ not sure.

Thanks for the welcome Aleilius and Deviadah

Nearly forgot...that brew I have going has some weird particles suspended in it. Is that normal. They are just suspended there but nothing black, it's all off white and has been for days. I would post a pic but I'm not sure how. Is that possible?

Play_Dough
05-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks Play_Dough

I shall start searching as soon as I log out...the Emerald Tablet sounds familiar for some reason, or am I mixing it up with the rosetta stone \o/ not sure.

Thanks Play_Dough

Hi Ghislain,

There are also 'in house' links on the forum page for The Emerald Tablet http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I suppose (opinion) that 'The Emerald Tablet' can (also) be considered as a type of Rosetta Stone. It is a 'key' (more opinion) that can unlock the 'hidden knowledge' of alchemy and also the ancient wisdom that is contained within the depths of the psyche of the alchemist.

I do not believe that your associating the 'ET' with the Rosetta Stone is "mixing it up" but rather the association may be a powerfully accurate intuitive 'hit' emanating from your own mind. (?).

Perhaps the most significant (opinion) component of the tablet is that it can cause a 'paradigm shift' that goes from 'isolated individual' to 'all is one'. The table provides a 'lens' for a new 'world view' that (perhaps) can crystalize the shattered mirror (of reality?) into 'one unified reflection'.

There are, probably, as many interpretations of the tablet as there are alchemists. And each interpretation can be correct depending upon how each alchemist is wired internally (opinion, opinion).

So, as many of the threads on the forum suggest, 'there is (typically) no right or wrong interpretation'. There seems to be, however, a continually updated (inner) revision of what the tablet is saying.

As the alchemist progresses the tablet reveals more secrets.

Perhaps as a Master (Hermes, in this instance) would provide a 'Zen Koan' (i.e., the sound of one hand clapping, etc.) to others, so too (opinion) does The Emerald Tablet provide one with something to 'contemplate' and as the 'contemplation' exercise begins so to does the process of training one's mind.

Alchemy is 'science', 'metaphysics', 'philosophy', 'religion', 'puzzle', 'self-reliance', 'enigma', with many other mysterious components that include the development of intuition and other latent abilities.

I agree with your 'Rosetta Stone' comment. Alchemy is trans-cultural and in a way it unites us with all alchemists throughout history and many of the world's great cultures. Alchemy is devoid of 'pathos' and filled with the spirit of adventure and zaniness. An asylum without walls wherein the alchemist strives to transform 'base metals' into gold!

'Rosetta Stone' is good!

Ghislain
06-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi Everyone

Been away in Oz for a while. Just got back. Brew is still the same and doesn't seem to want to change :( Still has 15 days @ 120 deg, guess i will see. Bought a couple of books off the net, one on Alchemy by Sean Martin and one on Paracelsus by Nicholas Goodrick-Clark. Anyone know if they are ok? Not read them yet.

Play_Dough
06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Everyone

Been away in Oz for a while. Just got back. Brew is still the same and doesn't seem to want to change :( Still has 15 days @ 120 deg, guess i will see. Bought a couple of books off the net, one on Alchemy by Sean Martin and one on Paracelsus by Nicholas Goodrick-Clark. Anyone know if they are ok? Not read them yet.

Welcome back!
We have been discussing the distinctions between practical and spiritual alchemy and consciousness-expanding techniques employing the ingestion of alchemical concoctions.

I think that almost anything on 'Paracelsus' would be excellent.
I have not read either of the books that you have mentioned.

solomon levi
06-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Hi Everyone

Greetings Ghislain.
I have both of those books. The Sean Martin book is really just a history of alchemy and alchemists without anything practical to it. The Paracelsus book is interesting and helpful to understand the master's thought and terminology somewhat, but again you won't find much practical alchemy in there, if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise it's a nice rounded collection of Paracelsus' thoughts on various subjects... a lot of the theory of alchemy presented metaphysically.

Welcome back.
solomon

Awani
06-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Welcome back... there are tons of good stuff on the Net free of charge that you can read... but there is nothing like having the book physically in your hands!

:cool:

Ghislain
06-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome back all.

I have not read up on the emerald tablet yet PD but I will after reading those two short books. btw which posts do i need to read to catch up? There are so many:confused:

Thanks for you words on the books solomon.

I agree deviadah there is nothing like having the book in your hands...I'm a bit of a book freak...must give some away :) I have piles still unread :( not enough hours in the day.

My brew is precipitating a whitish residue ... would that just be the salt crystallising again or is it doing something?

Could anyone recommend a best book - achemy bible so to speak - if there is one? preferably for dummies;)

Play_Dough
06-14-2009, 08:00 PM
edited....

I have not read up on the emerald tablet yet PD but I will after reading those two short books. btw which posts do i need to read to catch up? There are so many:confused:

Could anyone recommend a best book - achemy bible so to speak - if there is one? preferably for dummies;)

Check out ---- "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1592577350/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3289680167&ref=pd_sl_621hmo4avy_e

Hi!

My suggestion is to review the 'foundational' items, i.e., The Emerald Tablet thread (main forum page), in order to be familiar with what (hypothetically) started it (alchemy) all in the West. Then read the book, from Amazon, listed above.

After that, it is (opinion) just a matter of 'following the bread-crumb trail' according to what interests you the most.

You seem to have a handle on many of the philosophical issues and you are also doing some practical (lab) alchemy.

You can also see if you are one-of-those-people who can absorb (some) information by putting a book under your pillow when sleeping (no kidding). It's worth a try anyway, a kind of 'mind-experiment'.

Then post stuff (here on the forum) if you have any comments, observations or questions that you care to discuss. If something (an item) does not seem to 'fit-in' then you can post it in your intro as a new thread.

Perhaps, most importantly, it is best to throttle-back and enjoy alchemy as 'a path' that is self-directed and casual, if that is preferable to an exclusively academic approach.

The alchemical cosmology includes history, philosophy, science, psycho-active substances, mystery, tarot, cryptology, secret societies, ancient astrology, metaphysics (hidden causes), etc., etc. Alchemy is (opinion) a microcosm of human history and development starting thousands of years ago (smelting, Iron Age).

I just scored this, "The Goldmakers; 10,000 Years of Alchemy" (Hardcover)
by K.K. Doberer. The book is an excellent account of alchemy and alchemists for thousands of years. Nothing (in particular) in depth, but it is an extraordinary book!

I find that 'asking' (forming an intention to be guided) for 'what's next' usually produces great results.... then a book shows up, an intuition turns on a light, a new thread emerges in (from) the forum..... you will then be guided by the hmmmmm 'alchemical muses'!

If 'nature' strives to produce 'gold' (an alchemical adage) then the overall emphasis is to embrace alchemy and begin the process of surrendering to the natural alchemical adventure as it unfolds before you.

There are (opinion) two fundamental aspects of alchemy that are merged as a unity in "The Above" (way up there):
1) practical alchemy (external) and
2) spiritual alchemy (internal)

The spiritual alchemist in engaged in 'uncovering the inner gold' and then allows that 'inner gold' (as it appears) to guide the 'external alchemical experiments'.
In other words, to access 'inner power' (knowledge, 'The One', energy, etc.) and then to have that power 'flow through you' and enter into the external 3D 'reality'.
The process also works from from 'outer to inner'.

As such, 'inner gold' (spiritual) and 'outer gold' (practical) are simultaneous events that are entirely dependent upon the alchemist.

Here is what is working for me, - - -
The beginning alchemist is 'sandwiched' between the inner reality and the outer reality.
The new alchemist is like an 'iron curtain' that exists between 'inner' and 'outer'.
As the alchemist progresses upon the path the 'iron curtain' begins to dissolve and obscurity flees (producing clarity of mind and action).
Small holes begin to appear in the iron-curtain which allow 'inner light' (gold) to flow 'through' the alchemist and into the 'external reality'.
As a result of this activity the alchemists 3D personal reality is enhanced, as well as the individual alchemist.
The alchemist's experiments are more productive and there is an improvement in wellbeing. Both the inner and outer reflect (are transmuted) the alchemist's success.

When the 'iron curtain' has been completely dissolved, The Great Work has been completed!
The 'rewards' are immediate all along the path... it does not lead up (exclusively) to a grand finale but produces 'enhancements' all along the way.

So, my immediate conclusion is that the alchemist does not 'produce gold' but rather 'the alchemist' moves him or her self out-of-the-way to allow something 'much bigger and grander' to flow through the 'mercurial alchemist' and to transform 'stuff' into gold.

The 'iron curtain' analogy is also a metaphor for 'the dissolution and digestion' of 'The Stone". As such, the alchemist 'looking for the Philosopher's Stone' is 'seeking for' what he or she is 'seeking with'.

My conclusion is that the goal of the alchemist is to gradually surrender to nature (intuitions, guidance, etc.) and, as a result, to be 'turned into gold' because 'Nature strives to create gold out of all who cooperate'!

solomon levi
06-14-2009, 08:31 PM
IMO, the best practical alchemy book you'll ever buy is
"Eighteenth Century Chemistry as it Relates to Alchemy" -
Encyclopedia Brittania

solomon