PDA

View Full Version : absinthe

solomon levi
06-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I was just looking into absinthe, purchasing and possibly making my own.
I've never had it before. Anyone have any experience with this,
know any good brands in U.S.? Anyone make their own? Recipes?
I've got recipes from the net; I'm more asking for tips if you've made it yourself,
what's good and what quantities...

here's some recipes from google...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=absinthe+recipe&aq=4&oq=absinthe&aqi=g10

Awani
06-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I have tried it many times... remember that there is fake and real absinthe... not many countries have the real thing. It needs wormwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinth_Wormwood)!

The plant [wormwood] can easily be cultivated in dry soil. They should be planted under bright exposure in fertile, mid-weight soil. It prefers soil rich in nitrogen. It can be propagated by growth (ripened cuttings taken in March or October in temperate climates) or by seeds in nursery beds. It is naturalised in some areas away from its native range, including much of North America. - source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinth_Wormwood#Cultivation_and_uses)

It is nice drink, with a heavy effect although I prefer DMT or psilocybin.

:cool:

solomon levi
06-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Well, here's my first bottle I tried, the cheapest of the real wormwoods
at the liquor store. There were two fakes and four real ones to choose from.
There was a real and a fake Pernod, a fake called Absente; Lucid and one I don't remember right now.

http://i88.servimg.com/u/f88/12/78/17/61/th/v_is_f11.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=76&u=12781761)

This one's called "Le Tourment Vert", the green torment. It was 50 dollars U.S. I was surprised that it tastes good because
I read that they don't, for the most part. The only problem is just about all I can taste is the star anise - it's like licorice.
This one is only 50 % alcohol too.
But it's got a nice, color, odor and flavor, and it drinks pretty smooth.
I like it better without water. For me, the water made the licorice taste more plain,
whereas while drinking it pure the fire made it diffuse and be more ethereal than dense taste.
This one feels pretty good on the head too! Warm and fuzzy. I did keep spacing out.

solomon levi
06-11-2009, 05:11 AM
The chemical in the wormwood is called thujone.
There's also thujone in Cedar trees (and other plants). In fact, the latin/scientific
name for cedar is thuja. I wonder if it's possible to use cedar instead.
Or the oil of cedar? I'll have to study it some more.

MarkostheGnostic
07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
...a description of Absinthe from Ernest Hemingway. Perhaps this site: [removed link]
They seem to provide a do-it-yourself kit or the finished product. I didn't know Calamus was in it! So, there must be TMA, a precursor to mescaline as well! What a strange brew!

Aleilius
07-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Some shrewd makers of absinthe would add copper salts, or brew their mix in copper pots. This would create a wonderful green liquor, but too much copper would definitely cause toxic effects.

Adding chlorophyll rich plant matter would also result in a nice green color. There's a certain plant that would synergize well with the thujone/alcohol in absinthe (cannabis). The green dragon!

I didn't know Calamus was in it! So, there must be TMA, a precursor to mescaline as well!
Yep, definitely a rich mixture of essential oils! Refer to Alexander Shulgin's material on essential oils and how they relate to certain psychoactive substances. It's definitely quite possible that alchemists were aware that sulphur from certain plants could be used to create strong psychoactive elixirs (with a couple of modifications to their molecular structure).

MarkostheGnostic
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
I understand from a recent TV show on its production, that it was exactly the use of copper salts - Blue Vitriol in fact, which contributed to the much-maligned toxicity of Absinthe. I cannot think of an innocuous copper compound that I would want to imbibe. :eek:

Aleilius
07-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Solutions containing salts of copper are quite lovely to behold. They're brilliantly tinted for sure!

However, I'm with you 100%. I see no reason to consume a copper "tincture" for kicks. Mineral therapy should only be used for curing a specific ailment, and even then they are quite tough to use properly (dosage wise).

MarkostheGnostic
07-30-2009, 03:28 AM
I use Copper Sulfate routinely to treat the illness of a swimming pool overcome by a variety of algae life-forms. I have a Zen-like relationship with the water: when it is crystalline, my mind is crystalline, and vice versa. It is sort of like the Bonzai tree and its tender ;).

joe_fierce
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
One thing to take into consideration though when making absinthe is the fact that it IS a wood based alcohol, and when not made properly there's some risks involved, highest on the list being poisoning yourself.

But heck, making rum is harder than making absinthe, so if ye can do that without poisoning yourself, you'll be able to pull this one off.

And as was stated yes, the wormwood content is what truly defines the drink, if I do recall correctly the way the chemical works is similar to THC, so if anyone is going to try to convinces you that you "will trip out yo" on it, they are simply lying to you, it's a hallucinogen on the level that marijuana is a hallucinogen, in other words, not much of a hallucinogen.

MarkostheGnostic
01-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Still haven't opened the bottle from before Christmas. Total Wines finally carries Grande Absinthe. Mine came in a box with a spoon and a mixing glass. Bought a box of Domino sugar dots (cubes). I'm waiting to share the ritual with someone who hasn't drunk the Green Fairy before.

solomon levi
01-23-2010, 02:30 AM
I still have the bottle I bought - drank some with a friend when I got it,
but haven't been too anxious to do it again. :D
Doesn't seem as recreational as I would have thought. Just seems like
strong alcohol - in which case, I'd rather buy a good tequila for the money.
Maybe the one I got didn't have enough wormwood??

horticult
01-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Do not expect to become van Gogh after a few shots, but if you will drink properly there will be enough of "funny/stupid/creative" ideas. Cheers!
But check if your bottle is not some censored correct fake - it should have above 70% and contain thujone.

MarkostheGnostic
01-24-2010, 12:51 AM
I still have the bottle I bought - drank some with a friend when I got it,
but haven't been too anxious to do it again. :D
Doesn't seem as recreational as I would have thought. Just seems like
strong alcohol - in which case, I'd rather buy a good tequila for the money.
Maybe the one I got didn't have enough wormwood??

Hmmm. The first time I tried real Absinthe, the fuzzy buzz I had from Belgian ale parted like a veil drawn away from face, revealing a very lucid inebriation. The second time, there was nothing so dramatic. I'll see about the third time. My Lady doesn't really seem too interested, and I'd really rather not drink alone.

D.Trout
02-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Leave it to me that my first post to the forum is about Absinthe...<SIGH>

Anyway, there is a rather commercial, over-the-top Absinthe available here under the brand name "Lucid." I like it well enough as a cocktail. It reports to be made using all natural ingredients, (including genuine Artemesia Absinthium,) according to an 18th century recipe in a French distillery on equipment designed by Gustaf Eiffel, (more famous for the Eiffel tower.) It's pretty good stuff. It's not as bright green as some others that I've seen, but it louches VERY nicely, and has a good flavor, aroma and effect when activated with ice water and some sugar, (in a traditional absinthe cocktail. The chilled water activates the distilled herbs, and it begins to give off a wonderful annise aroma.) The flavor straight from the bottle reminds me VERY much of NyQuil...Just scary.

I've also had a much milder absinthe from the Emile-Pernot company. Their Vieux Pontarlier 65 is a much more vivid green out of the bottle, doesn't louche quite as dramatically as the Lucid, (the aroma is also less pronounced,) but is a much sweeter, milder flavor both as a traditional cocktail, AND right out of the bottle.

Those are the two I've had a chance to sample. I really liked both, but for mutually exclusive reasons.

But, as to effect. Enjoyable? Yes. Euphoric? Not really. Nothing astounding. Nothing dramatic. My experience, (and the thujone content on the Lucid is higher than the Vieux Pontarlier, and probably as high as you're going to find commercially,) was that it was an alcohol buzz. Agave Tequila is easier to come by and cheaper.

But, the RITUAL, the set, the setting...Something to be said for it, and something I plan to play around with again, (now I feel like I need to retrieve my bottle of Lucid from a friend's house. I took it there one evening to celebrate his wife purchasing an absinthe fountain for him, and never took it home.)

Hope that helps!

Vale!

-DGT

zoas23
02-21-2012, 09:17 AM
I tried a lot of different absynthes a lot of different times (both home-made and commercial brands)

I do agree with the ones who said that a miracle shouldn't be expected... but it's really a good drink.... and mostly the best way I know of experiencing the good side of being drunk without the bad side of being drunk (no hangovers, no headaches, no nausea or vomit, not falling to the ground, not saying stupid things, no amnesia, etc... unless you drink a whole bottle, but I assume most people wouldn't even find the point of doing such thing).

I don't really like the sugar cubes tradition and I prefer it as it is, but that's up to each one.