PDA

View Full Version : Negative aspects of Alchemy

Awani
06-24-2009, 11:37 PM
I find it very healthy to look at things from other perspectives, for instance I have read many books and essays that hold a negative view of alchemy (both spiritual and practical). Fraud, pseudo and false are common words that pop up.

Not all of it is incorrect either...

What are the negative aspects of Alchemy, or if you will what could be better concerning this sacred art (if anything)?

:cool:

Lapis_Lazuli
06-25-2009, 12:41 AM
I think one of the potential pitfalls of alchemy is a certain arrogance or vanity in being initiated into secret knowledge that the "common folk" are not privy to.

Another possible pitfall is the solitary aspect of it. One must guard from being too solitary or too divorced from the good people in their lives

horticult
06-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Alchemy is likely the smallest profitable killing of time in the universe. So this quest could start only nut.Unfortunately the sharpest mind /& good connection up/ are needed. So likely our time, wealth and body /after some nice explosion/ will vanish in the air and nobody will attend our funeral.

Salazius
06-25-2009, 06:32 AM
If not associated with a good spiritual practice it can be by itself very "dry" at the Hearth Level.

solomon levi
06-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Alchemy is likely the smallest profitable killing of time in the universe. So this quest could start only nut.Unfortunately the sharpest mind /& good connection up/ are needed. So likely our time, wealth and body /after some nice explosion/ will vanish in the air and nobody will attend our funeral.

:D LOL! Yeah, I guess some people would view blowing yourself to bits
as something negative.
And the Frankenstein movie shows how one could create an evil homonculus
that falls in love with your wife and kills her and those you love. That could be
frowned upon as well. :D

I suppose there are various ways to imbalance oneself if you're not looking out...
lust for gold, ego, power, desire for youth... desire for anything could be seen as a
distraction in some spiritual systems.

The alchemists always warn us about wasting our time and money in false pursuits. But life without a spiritual purpose could be seen as wasted anyway.

Poisoning your fellow monks with antimony ... also bad. ;)
Turning the oceans into gold... bad.
Accumulating so much wealth that you can topple governments...
depends on the government... could be a good thing. :D

horticult
06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I can recommend ORIGINAL story Frankenstein and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, book no movie. They are more useful than todays nonsense babbles about positive thinking and spiritual alchemy. Universum is not like this brainwashing feces. Observe nature as adepts teach.

Play_Dough
06-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I find it very healthy to look at things from other perspectives, for instance I have read many books and essays that hold a negative view of alchemy (both spiritual and practical). Fraud, pseudo and false are common words that pop up.

Not all of it is incorrect either...

What are the negative aspects of Alchemy, or if you will what could be better concerning this sacred art (if anything)?

:cool:

The majority of people are 'emotionally driven' and equipped with an 'off the rack' world view which is based (limited) upon scientific rationality, incorrectly taught as 'exclusive truths'.

Alchemy, if nothing else (opinion), is a course of study and experimentation that trains one's mind and introduces one to alternatives to the 'off the rack' world view.

When viewed as 'an ultimate puzzle', alchemy, is unsurpassed in it's mystery, philosophy, goals, and secrets.

I see no 'down-side' what-so-ever.

The criticisms of alchemy mirror the criticisms of religion, metaphysics, philosophical points-of-view, some science, evolution, intelligent design, psychology, string theory, etc., etc.

The underpinning of alchemy is that 'there is much more to appearances than meets the eye'.

Alchemy is the mother of contemporary science. And typical, in the West, is the approach that anything that is linked to the 'feminine/intuitive' is mocked, berated, and ridiculed. Alchemy is juxtaposed with the profane cosmology of rational science.

Alchemy contains significant components of 'sacredness' (The Sacred Art). The West is very weak when it comes to adopting a reverent posture towards the sacred.

Alchemy 'improves' as we improve. To make alchemy 'better' all that is needed is a personal committment to a quest for perfection and the discipline to make it (perfection) happen.

The world is full of 'cults':
- politics as 'cult'
- religion as cult
- science as cult
- economic philosophies as cults (capitalism, communism, etc.)
- and alchemy as a cult
Each 'cult' has it particular beliefs and rituals and jargon, and is subjected to the criticisms of the other cults.

On the 'entry level', alchemy is an argument between the rational mind and the surpressed part (buried) of ourselves that has been victimized by the 'cult of the status-quo'. The advanced levels of alchemy are fueled by an exalted philosophy whereby the literal meanings of the alchemical texts fall away and a transcendent cosmology appears in the place formerly occupied by 'obscurity' and fatalism.

The difference between mundane science and alchemy is that the successful scientist 'blabs his or her findings to the world' while the successful alchemist becomes imbued with mystery, mysticism and silence (except for discussions with other, like-minded, alchemists).

It is paradoxical to have an activity (alchemy) that produces success(es) which, in turn, produce greater serenity and quietude.

If all of human history could be viewed as 'layers' then alchemy would be like a shaft of light that penetrates from 'the below' (earlier times) to 'the above' (contemporary timeline) and beyond.

Alchemy is an escape-hatch from the ravages of the madness of stark rationality and its blindness of the miraculous.

What is the alternative? A life of working and collecting nicknacks (Baubles) and a warehouse of 'stuff' that continually requires our time and attention?
Or a life which is dedicated to examining philosophy and metaphysics?

Alchemy is one way out of the illusion which keeps us tethered to the insanity of status-quo 'reality'.

There are no 'negative aspects' to alchemy, there are only 'negative points-of-view'.

annabelle_lee
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I have a former friend who swears that when her Chaos magician husband started messing with alchemy that it caused her to get into a very bad car accident, and caused her life to spiral downhill... However, from my personal experience I think that alchemy can be INCREDIBLY dry and secretive. The cure for this is of course, ora, lege, lege, relege, et labora!