PDA

View Full Version : Seven in Twelve

Ozymandias
06-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I have no new information to post and I am sorry for that. What I am here for is a bit of help.

I would like to know if there is anyway to fit the 7 Stepped Emerald Formula mentioned here (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?t=92), into the process attributed to the twelve signs of the zodiac. Can these two different operations be melded together?

Any information on this is greatly appreciated.
--Oz

solomon levi
06-27-2009, 04:41 AM
Hey Oz.

6 of the 7 correlate to zodiac signs -
calcination is aries,
dissolution is cancer
seperation is scorpio
conjunction has no equivalent,
distillation is virgo,
fermentation is capricorn,
and coagulation is taurus.

To me, the correlation between 7 and 12 is 3 and 4.

3+4=7
3x4=12

The three are mercury/mutable, sulphur/cardinal and salt/fixed.
The four are the elements.

You may also look into the 7 planets as they rule the 12 zodiac -
sun rules leo
moon rules cancer
mercury rules gemeni and virgo
venus rules taurus and libra
mars rules aries and scorpio
jupiter rules pisces and sagitarrius
saturn rules aquarius and capricorn

hope that helps.
solomon

Awani
07-28-2009, 01:27 AM
I got nothing more to add than what solomon levi has already written other than the fact that 3, 7 and/or 12 steps are the most common.

But really you only need 1, i.e. the step forward!

;)

Poimandres
09-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Solomonís explanation is more than sufficient, but here is another way to comprehend the prevalence of these numbers in alchemy and other esoteric disciplines.

3,4,7, and 12 numerically speaking are all related to astronomical patterns; that is, they are all manifestations of 1 Universal Principle. Indeed, we find the prevalence of these numerals in many alchemical and esoteric texts as a result of them being the numerical manifestations of the interaction between Space and Time. In particular, the sets 3::4 and 7::12 as representing dimensional transformation from Space to Time.

For example take very basic solar observation. I am referring to Positional Astronomy and not Ecliptic Astronomy (i.e. circle and cross astronomy popularized by astrological charts). Positional astronomy is based on simple periodic observations of the rise/set position of celestial bodies against the horizon; it is, as evidenced by Stonehenge and other Neolithic monuments, quite likely the oldest form of astronomy.

Over the course of a year the sunrise positions move across the horizon from a northern to a southern extreme, then after six months the sunrises halt at the extreme position and begin to slowly backtrack the same path. The extremes are the sunrise positions during the solstices and the center point between them (i.e. due East) is where the Sun rises on both equinoxes. Thus, for an observer looking at the eastern horizon, the solar cycle can be depicted two-dimensionally as such:

NE ---------------------- E ------------------ SE
(Summer Solstice) (Vernal Equinox) (Winter Solstice)
(Autumnal Equinox)

A year would be described spatially as the movement of sunrises NE->E->SE->E (or SE->E->NE->E, or more traditionally E->SE->E->NE) with the return of the sun to the starting position heralding the New Year. Notice that as the sunrises oscillate along the horizon these three solar positions denote the four solar events/seasons (2 solstices and 2 equinoxes) that compose one year. Hence 3=4 as we shift focus from Space to Time. Of course, this is all encapsulated within the greater cyclic whole of 1 year.

Along the same vein, an observer could divide the sunrise positions into 7 nearly equal divisions that throughout the course of the year would serve to structure 12 months and consequently their corresponding signs.

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
NE(1) ----- 2 ----- 3 ----- E(4) ----- 5 ----- 6 ----- SE(7)
Jun May Apr Mar. Feb. Jan

As such, 7::12 as 3::4 and Space::Time.

Zephyr
09-22-2009, 12:18 PM
That is fascinating. I will think on that more. I suppose I could add that the Tetractys exhibits these numbers as well:

4 teirs, 3 points

4+3, 4x3

7, 12

Similarly, just as 1+2+3+4 is 10, unifying Kether with Malkuth by way of Tetragramaton, 1x2x3x4=24, so deriving both "space" (10) and "time"(24) from the 4. I confess that this is numerico-allegorical rather than based in direct physical observation, so in a sense it is a more derivative "proof". I figured I'd throw it in anyhow.

-A-

Poimandres
09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
That is fascinating. I will think on that more. I suppose I could add that the Tetractys exhibits these numbers as well:

Ahh...the Pythagorean Tetractys is by far one of the most concise and perfect symbols in sacred science. My mind completely skipped it over, thank you for reminding me!