PDA

View Full Version : Troubled

SNODGRJL
07-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Hello, All:
As I indicated a few weeks ago, I had decided to start on the Great Work. This decision has lead to the manifestation of something troubling, a fading faith. 8 Years ago I had a powerful conversion experience to Roman Catholicism. I genuinely felt that God had called me and, since there is only one papal bull restricting alchemy among the clergy, this newfound faith did not interfere with my alchemical practices, which, at that time, were mostly lab-related with some meditation and prayer.

Now I find myself changing, dramatically changing, and my faith no longer meets my spiritual needs. I flipped through the catechism this morning and realized that not all of it is grounded in scripture. Much of the dogma of the church comes from Medieaval doctors of the church. I now find myself asking why I should take advice on my sex life from a celibate man. I now find myself disbelieving that a loving God could send someone to hell (and I've considered free-will: it's a nasty paradox).

In other words, I'm changing, but I fear offending God. Any thoughts that you have would be most appreciated.

I will add at this point that I feel, in my heart, a strong degree of tranquility, so the handwringing is not always dominant.
The Cloud

Play_Dough
07-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Hello, All:
As I indicated a few weeks ago, I had decided to start on the Great Work. This decision has lead to the manifestation of something troubling, a fading faith. 8 Years ago I had a powerful conversion experience to Roman Catholicism. I genuinely felt that God had called me and, since there is only one papal bull restricting alchemy among the clergy, this newfound faith did not interfere with my alchemical practices, which, at that time, were mostly lab-related with some meditation and prayer.

Now I find myself changing, dramatically changing, and my faith no longer meets my spiritual needs. I flipped through the catechism this morning and realized that not all of it is grounded in scripture. Much of the dogma of the church comes from Medieaval doctors of the church. I now find myself asking why I should take advice on my sex life from a celibate man. I now find myself disbelieving that a loving God could send someone to hell (and I've considered free-will: it's a nasty paradox).

In other words, I'm changing, but I fear offending God. Any thoughts that you have would be most appreciated.

I will add at this point that I feel, in my heart, a strong degree of tranquility, so the handwringing is not always dominant.
The Cloud

Hi SNODGRJL,

This matter has complex intellectual, psychological and emotional components which can be taxing.
Add to this context the matter of biological issues (sexual behavior) and all of it (religion) can become highly dysfunctional and overwhelming.

I suppose that one avenue of 'relief' is for you to recognize that Roman Catholicism is no longer 'working' for you, and, perhaps, any religious doctrine that professes 'guilt', 'fear' and 'repression' is actually blocking your path to illumination.

Some Western esoteric-spiritual-societies advocate embracing the following:
1) obey the 10 commandments (so sexual issues are limited to avoiding adultery, and using common-sense)
2) to never intend to do any harm (Do no harm) and to avoid negative judgments.
3) be frequently mindful of 'The One'. Allow yourself to consider 'designing' a 'Model of God/Goddess' for you to use as a 'template of consciousness'.

The metaphysical fact-of-life is that our sexual energies are not to be denied and repressed. Our sexual energies are to be mastered, then elevated to a new plane of expression and experience. Our sexual energies must, eventually, be 'transmuted' into expressions of love, affection and unity.

I suppose that the key question is 'does it have you'? or 'do you have it'? With the goal being 'to not have yourself be driven by passions' but to transform them into enjoyable activities which form a part of who we are.

At some point in a person's spiritual/metaphysical evolution he or she is going to realize that any 'God' is not going to be concerned about the sexual activities of bipedal primates on the third planet of some distant solar system.

You are correct (my opinion) in referring to the scriptures (directly) and avoiding institutionalized 'dogma' that has not worked in over 2000 years and is never going to work, not ever.

(Goal) - Elevate all of your activities to the level of 'sacred' instead of 'scared'.

Above all, 'trust your intuition'.

The fact is (my opinion) that you are in the process of eliminating a 'culturally induced paranoia'. Alchemy may refer to this conundrum as a corruption (the paranoia) of your inner-gold that must be eliminated.

What good is a religion that has you being afraid of yourself, or worse, being afraid of the Deity whom we worship?

Without a finely honed and refined sexual nature, we are 'dead in the water'. Sensual-desire causes us to 'coagulate' and spiritual-desire (sans materiality) causes us to 'dissolve'.

A sexual nature that is NOT denied nor repressed, but rather cultivated, expressed and enjoyed is the balanced 'ideal'.... God-Goddess / Solar-Lunar / Yang-Yin /Above - Below.

The alchemical muses are working on you and if the issue is paranoia regarding organized religion then clearing that crap can take some doing. Repressions interfere with every aspect of our psyche and they MUST be eliminated.
Trying to starve them to death only makes the matter worse, much worse. As always, 'balance' is the goal.

SNODGRJL
07-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Thank you, Play-Dough for your insights. On some level I do feel as if Catholicism is no longer working for me in the sense that it produces more negative feelings than positive ones. I know some theologians, mostly fundamentalists, warn against basing faith on feelings, typically because they fear the Dark One, but I am intuitive by nature. I'm suffocating.

Your remark about God not caring about the sexual activities of bipeds, etc., was wonderful.

I met with my parish priest, shared my feelings about my faith, and made a confession. Now I'm back to square one and reading an excellent book on alchemy and mysticism.

We'll see where it all leads.
TheCloud