PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy and Cooking

WCH
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Do you pay attention to associations/correspondences when cooking? I'm still lab deprived, and went through a period where I was neglecting alchemical practice, but I've reawakened my interest in herbs and spices, and that's pulling me back into it. Mainly I've just been reading up on medicinal uses of herbs and the like, and selecting appropriate ones to use in tea, cooking and baths. I want to work more of the associations into it but right now it's a whole lot of guesswork and I don't really know if I'm doing it properly.

With medicines what I usually try to do is just to achieve balance... so generally four herbs, one for each element, and ideally between the four, all seven planets are touched upon. Is this a good approach, or is it better to do different elements but all the same planet, different planets but all the same element, or something else?

I've noticed that a disproportionate number of the herbs and spices I have in my kitchen are associated with Fire, and especially with Mars and Sun... I think I should go buy some vervain.

Awani
08-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I have no doubt that an intelligent diet will prolong your life. Alchemical cooking is nothing that should be ignored.

:cool:

solomon levi
08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I've studied macrobiotics and Ayurveda a bit, but I don't really adhere
to any of it.
When I do cook, I make Indian food, which has lots of great spices,
and I feel like it is alchemical. I love Indian food!

I guess if you really want to put the attention into it, you might try making
planetary meals for each day of the week, like we learn to do with the tinctures.
Otherwise, maybe look into macrobiotics and balancing the yin and yang of meals.

WCH
08-19-2009, 12:04 AM
When I make curry, I use:

Pepper -- Mars/Fire
Coriander -- Mars/Fire
Cumin -- Mars/Fire
Turmeric -- Fire
Cinnamon -- Sun/Fire
Cloves -- Sun/Fire
Cardamom -- Sun/Fire

Turmeric is the base and most important spice, having fire as its element and no particular planetary association (according to the Crucible Catalog Herbal Guide). It is backed on each side by three spices -- one triad associated with Mars, the other with the Sun, but all Fire.

Awani
08-19-2009, 07:58 AM
I wonder what planet this superhealthy food is related to?

Quinoa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa)

Perhaps Earth?

solomon levi
08-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I wonder what planet this superhealthy food is related to?

Quinoa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa)

Perhaps Earth?

Demeter is the goddess of grains - Roman: Ceres = Virgo

I think most grains like wheat and barley are attributed to venus,
so I'd probably go with that.
;)

Awani
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Persephone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persephone)?

Or maybe I am too much of a sucker when it comes to the Eleusinian Mysteries... can't help it. Just love that shit!

Highly alchemical too with Greater and Lesser (like macro/micro) etc.

being
03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
This is a good discussion, I've been meaning to research alchemy and cooking food, eating, etc.. Apparently I'm not the only one to see a connection.
I love indian curry as well, and i have been using Turmeric more often due to its anti-oxidant properties.

I never use microwaves, I think it's wrong.
I rather use fire for cooking but where I live I get to use an electric stove.
I think slow cooking is better. I like to let stew cook overnight for 10 hrs covered in a pot.

In chinese medicine they prefer to cook food, they say raw food is tougher to digest.

Naturally, fresh food is full of life, sprouts or a newly picked orange is alive unlike something on a store shelf, packaged or a few days old.

What about drinking distilled water? What about drinking rain water? What about drinking water that has Fluoride (from Aluminum refining) in it? How about the use of common table salt vs. unprocessed celtic sea salt or real salt? Eating cooked vegetable oils vs. uncooked oils? Cold pressed olive oil vs. non-cold pressed? Using the freezer or the fridge? Gluten sensitivity, or the mostly negative effects of refined sugar on the body? from an alchemical perspective.

I would not touch pasteurized foods (including milk) with a 10-ft-pole, they are not food just chemicals void of life.

Now they are irradiating herbs, nuts, etc.. I can't help but wonder how that will manifest in people's health.

by the way, raw almonds in the US are not raw.. they are pasteurized (google it).

As alchemists, how do you make food?
Do you take your alchemy into the kitchen and utilize some of its concepts in preparing food?

vega33
03-12-2011, 02:48 AM
You're right this is a good thread! Its funny I always thought that if I wrote a book on Alchemy as a novel, I'd write it as "The Alchemical Chef", police investigating a murder of a prominent eccentric who ate at the little known cafe of a chef famous for using alchemical techniques in his cooking (watch out for those health code regulations, they're a doozy!)

I use alchemical techniques mainly while making stews. Given as alchemy is involved in attracting the life energy/fire and concentrating it in various forms, and this takes either a long time to acheive an equilibrium, or resonance/love, it seems like it makes more sense in the context of slow brewed, fermented, and other such foods, or foods cooked ceremonially, as well as foods grown with subtle dynamics in mind. In this respect, have you heard of the Findhorn Garden? Eileen's story and Peter's have always been somewhat inspirational to me. Their results as far as growing foods go seem to point at why ormus works the way it does for plants.

Karl
03-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I put hydrosols to use in the kitchen. Rice made with lemon grass hydrosol is some of the best rice you will ever have. Spagyrics opens a level of sensitivity and understanding of the plant world and processes of change that can't help but translate into cooking. The Persian use of herbs and hydrosols is inspiring. They venture far from the constellation of Sun/Mars/Fire with their use of herbs and have a concept of food balancing that traces back to ancient Greece. A dash of any number of hydrosols in yogurt with a sprinkling of pomegranate berries is a versatile sauce which is cooling for the fire of curries. I kind of wonder if 16th century alchemists had unrecorded conversations like these. Catch Paracelsus at 9am with a glass of wine in his hand and I'm sure he might wax poetic about marinades.

being
10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
hehe, he might.

I am just beginning to learn about Spagyrics , look fwd to utilizing that knowledge.. Fermenting foods is also a very good option, I've grown found of Kefir and sauerkraut.

solomon levi
10-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Mmm. Wine. That's pretty much the extent of my culinary alchemy. :)

Something perhaps related is an exercise I learned from this shaman. It's quite simple.
Just drink a cup (or half) of any particular tea you want to learn about before going to bed
and intend to dream about it, its energy, its uses for magic and medicine, alchemy... see what it tells you.
Ginseng is a nice tea, of course. It provides an energy that is more "core" and sustaining, as opposed
to surfacy energies that are spent really fast. It's more concentrating than diffusing...
I've mostly dreamt with ginseng - I just like it.

thoth
10-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi, Yes I have an interest in indian cooking too. Still trying to replicate an amazing curry I once made using fenugreek, but never took notes - those extra few secs dry roasting spices could make all the difference but it always ends as bland mush.

I was thinking of using a soxlet extractor to extract oils of fenugreek or cumin or coriander - it really would be an alchemist's kitchen .......

being
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
LR said this on his diet:

If you can consider my body as the laboratory then yes. An alkaline bodily environment first, before bed by drinking baking soda with water first prepares the body to receive the spirit, then a diet high in polyphenol content, i.e. black olives, concord grapes, grape seed oil extract, manapol which is a aloe vera extract, blueberries, dark chocolate, all those things contain an oil, which can manifest something that resembles tartaric acid crytals, but I don't beleive the chemicals mean anything , the potential is in the package, clathrate boxes, they attract the power of heaven and earth. Thats why orgone accumulators work so well with alchemy, I believe the first orgone accumulators was built by Anton Mesmer, the Mesmer battery, Mesmer whom I just found out recently from A Rosicrucian Notebook that he might have borrowed it from the Rosicrucians.
from http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?1133-Success/page2

being
10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Since we're discussing food and cooking, making bone broth probably releases ormus from within the bone into the broth. IMHO

Archangel
03-03-2016, 01:21 AM
Ah...a subject I know about....foods, oils, (various kinds; food grade, therapeutic grade essentials), teas, spices. The golden spice that cures many things...tumeric. I just made a wonderful cocoa. Nothing alchemical about it but relish. 2 and 1/4 cups whole milk. 1/4 cup sugar. 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, 1 and 1/2 Tbsp corn starch. Mix well and heat over medium heat, stirring continually, until just beginning to boil. Remove from heat. Drinking chocolate you can top with homemade whipped cream. I know this is not a recipe forum. That's the only one I'll post. I read something about drinking distilled water in a post here and that reminded me of a question I want to ask. The Pool of Siloam. Jesus healed the blind man by telling him to wash in this pool...after mixing mud with his spit and applying to the man's eyes...was the healing in the water? The spit or paste? Why did He do this? Also, the man who sat by the pool...not sure if it's the same pool, but he always missed it when the "angel stirred the waters". Is there healing property in swirling, moving water? Alchemical applications?

Andro
03-03-2016, 11:24 AM
I read something about drinking distilled water in a post here and that reminded me of a question I want to ask. The Pool of Siloam. Jesus healed the blind man by telling him to wash in this pool... after mixing mud with his spit and applying to the man's eyes... was the healing in the water? The spit or paste? Why did He do this? Also, the man who sat by the pool...not sure if it's the same pool, but he always missed it when the "angel stirred the waters". Is there healing property in swirling, moving water? Alchemical applications?

Hi Arch,

Could you please elaborate how the above quote is related to Alchemy and Cooking?

I must admit, the (seemingly allegorical) 'spit'/'mud' paste mix concept sounds intriguing within an 'Alchemical Cooking' context :)

And there's no 'interdiction' of posting Alchemical cooking recipes! (or any recipes, for that matter, unless they're 'illegal' :))

From our Disclaimer (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3017-Disclaimer):

Alchemy Forums is an informational and community resource which does not advocate breaking any laws.

So, by all means, have at it!

Archangel
03-04-2016, 01:37 AM
OK good to know Androg. I guess the water thing doesn't relate to cooking, but it was something I've wondered about? Does anyone have any ideas on it? Also, where should I have posted that question? Thanks.

Andro
03-04-2016, 07:46 AM
I guess the water thing doesn't relate to cooking, but it was something I've wondered about? Does anyone have any ideas on it? Also, where should I have posted that question?

This could be an appropriate thread for such topics: Christian Alchemy (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2418-Christian-Alchemy). I'm sure there are others... Did you check out the Spiritual Alchemy (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Spiritual-Alchemy) Sub-Forum? Or The Sacred Art (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?12-The-Sacred-Art)?

OK good to know Androg.

I prefer 'Andro' :)

Awani
03-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Also, where should I have posted that question? Thanks.

Or just create a thread in the correct area.

Look HERE (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?385-What-is-where) if unsure where things go.

zoas23
03-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Mod Note: Continued from HERE (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4670-Typos-amp-Grammos&p=41092#post41092)

[...] You suddenly said "cook the syrup"... which made me think of une crêpe avec un sirop délicieux... and yet your *tips* in that thread were the best ones that the person who was asking received.

Probably it is because we both speak languages that come from the Latin family of languages that I can see in your posts the typical "strange" use of nouns and verbs that we, the "Latin-based language speakers", often use when we write English (I do not see it in my own posts, but that's because I am unconscious of my own "strangeness"... but our writing styles are probably very similar for an English speaker when we write in this modern lingua franca)

Salazius
03-20-2016, 02:25 PM
"cook the syrup"... which made me think of une crêpe avec un sirop délicieux

You asked for it....
http://le-mag.lastminute.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/700x336_chandeleur6.jpg

zoas23
03-20-2016, 08:11 PM
You asked for it....
http://le-mag.lastminute.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/700x336_chandeleur6.jpg

The wet path of the crêpe avec sirop!!!!

Some day you have to give us the alchemical secrets of the philosophical & canonical Soupe A L'Oignon... because the rest of us who don't live in France always cook it following a very bastard path. ;)

(some day I'll post some pics of my quite failed experiments with this French path of absolute pleasure).

Salazius
03-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Animatrs and administrators, please forgive us :) We are out of the thread. But it is so delicious.

Time to prepare 25 minutes
Cooking : 20 minutes

Ingredients (for 4 persons) :
- 4 big onions
- 50 g butter
- 1 big spoon of oil
- 1 big spoon of flour
- 25 cl of white wine
- 1 l water
- salt & pepper
- 6 slices of bread
- 100 g of cheese "comté" grated

Preparation of the recipe : Peele and cut small the onions, cook the a bit in butter and oil. Pour over the flour, then add water and wine + pepper and salt. Cover & let bouil slowly 20 minutes.

Toast the bread, put each slice in the bottom of 4 individual bowls bearing oven. Dust a bit of grated cheese over, then pour the soup on it. Dust again with some cheese and let gratiner (grill/melt) in the oven. C'est prêt ! Bon appétit

zoas23
03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Animatrs and administrators, please forgive us :) We are out of the thread. But it is so delicious.

LOL!!!! There was a HUGE problem in my mercury (I never used wine to cook it) and my sulphur had problems too (never thought of butter either).

NOW this is the most delicious High Alchemy, rectified by a proper master!

I will be posting a pic of my results soon after following these delicious and canonical steps for the preparation of this most extraordinaire French Elixir. It may not be the Universal Panacea, but it truly gets so close to it!!!!! Yummy!!!!!

elixirmixer
06-10-2016, 05:55 AM
I've always wondered if setting up a distillation column on a kitchen pot would make much of a difference to the taste of a soup or stew. We know that essential oil's fly away with steam, so a lot of the more volatile oil's are lost when you boil something.

I've also wondered if creating spagyric elixirs from the more common culinary herbs would improve t he flavour of any dishes created by them. This would be some very fun research to do.

Are there any ayuvedia experts in the house? Share your curry secrets please! Everyone loves a good authentic Indian meal!

Does anyone have any ideas how I could Connect some glassware to a kitchen pot and try to capture the oil's?

The whole 'planetary meals' thing sounds like another great research project.

Lastly, I always thought turmeric is a Luna plant? I'm making a spagyrics elixir of turmeric atm and I've assigned it to the moon. With the hope of combining it with a black pepper elixir and helping some of the old people in my church with their arthritis.

Zoas, your English writing skills are very good for a... whatever you are... :)