PDA

View Full Version : Where To Find Chemicals

Ghislain
08-29-2009, 11:37 AM
In today's paranoid society (UK) it is almost impossible to find any chemicals that you can purchase over the counter.

I went into a chemist and asked for hydrogen peroxide...no, Alum...no, finally I said do you sell any chemicals...no we are not allowed to, "why?", I asked...it is policy due to terrorism...ahhhhhg.

So my question is, “does anyone have a list of products that are available in stores, that are actually useful chemicals, but under another name”?

theFool
08-29-2009, 12:14 PM
cold packs = ammonium nitrate

leotheseeker
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
stumpremover= saltpeter
muriatic acid= HCL
sodium hydroxside = drano or lye

Hope this helps

Ghislain
09-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Every bit of info is better than no info Leotheseeker.

solomon levi
09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Make sure it says 100% lye on it.
I don't think Drano is 100% lye.
But you may be able to seperate it.
I bought this one brand of lye without looking at it and
it ended up having some blue-colored matter dispersed throughout.
I meant to try and seperate it but have needed to yet.

Alot of brands stop making 100% because people use it
to pH swing for making drugs/meth too. But you can still find some
now and then, especially in smaller, family-owned hardware stores.
At least that's my experience.

If you find it, you may want to be careful of your purchase - don't
leave a paper trail... because it's monitored. ;)

An alternative is TSP - tri-sodium-phosphate if you need the really strong alkali.
Otherwise potassium carbonate will do the job.

Ghislain
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks Sol'

I got 91% H2SO4 as One Shot drain cleaner.
I got 1kg Lye for drain cleaning.
I also got a bottle of formic acid for descaling kettles...not sure if that is any use :confused:
I think it is Carbolic Acid (HCOOH) called Kilrock.K

I tried to get KNO3. Looked for tree stump remover but no luck.

I put the H2SO4 on the blue salt I had...went mad...got a bit choked but got it under control. Dangerous stuff. cough! cough!

I put some lye on a slice of ham (curiosity)...nasty stuff...ham looked fine until I moved it...fell to bits all jelly like...yuk.

Will treat these items with much respect.

Ghislain

P.S. bit late on the paper trail warning... paid on plastic :(

orangelmx
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
In today's paranoid society (UK) it is almost impossible to find any chemicals that you can purchase over the counter.

I went into a chemist and asked for hydrogen peroxide...no, Alum...no, finally I said do you sell any chemicals...no we are not allowed to, "why?", I asked...it is policy due to terrorism...ahhhhhg.

So my question is, “does anyone have a list of products that are available in stores, that are actually useful chemicals, but under another name”?

Then I can say, Viva Mexico!!! hehehe here I can go an buy anything and they dont even ask for ID. WOW!!!

Mexico == Alchemy Heaven :)

Awani
09-06-2009, 09:13 PM
In today's paranoid society (UK)...

Although UK is probably the most paranoid society in Europe, it is still pretty bad all over, as well as North America.

:cool:

Ghislain
09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Got ammonium nitrate from cold packs
Made sodium nitrate by mixing ammonium nitrate with sodium bicarbonate and boiling off the ammonia.
Unfortunately I have to do the Sodium Nitrate again as my boy insisted that baking powder was just bicarb
but it is not and has rice starch in it...anyone need some sodium nitrate jelly?

Ghislain

theFool
09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Made sodium nitrate by mixing ammonium nitrate with sodium bicarbonate and boiling off the ammonia.
Nice idea. I make KNO3 by the same way (using K2CO3). I think you could also heat strongly your sodium bicarbonate in order to make sodium carbonate (removing the Hydrogen atom). However, I am not sure if this is needed.

Ghislain
10-15-2009, 09:03 PM
In the UK it is hard to acquire many of the products needed to carry out the works mentioned on the forum.

For this reason I spend a lot of time converting things I can get into those I cannot.

Using ammonium nitrate solution in a narrow necked flask with some copper pieces added, then adding sulphuric acid the solution begins to react creating copious amounts of nitrogen dioxide gas.

By channelling this gas through some water one creates nitric acid. I think :confused:

You can see the process here. (http://genius.toucansurf.com/Making Nitric Acid.wmv)

The first attempt was too violent and went a little wrong...much of the solution in the flask went up the tube and contaminated the result. For this reason a second attempt was made which was quite successful.
In the second attempt the water flask was cooled as this give a better concentration result. As some may have noticed, frozen peas were used here as no ice was available. There was no waste as they were already freezer burnt anyway.

I think this was a success as the resulting liquid reacts with copper - as it should.

Ghislain

Ghislain
10-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I placed a little gold leaf into a glass and added some of the acid mentioned above.

This was almost a clear liquid...the particles of gold have gone but there was a little lump of gold which is still there. The liquid has gone yellow...I did sprinkle a tiny bit of table salt on the mix...really tiny.

Is the yellow from the gold or from the salt?

Gold in Nitric. (http://genius.toucansurf.com/Gold leaf and nitric.JPG) This pic is taken looking down into the glass.

Ghislain

Ghislain
10-17-2009, 03:03 PM
No problem people...it must be nitric acid as all the gold has gone now. I guess the salt must have supplied the chlorine...which was what I was hoping for as I had no HCl.

Pic of dissolved gold (http://genius.toucansurf.com/dissolved gold.jpg)

It seems strange having liquid gold in a glass :)

Ghislain

MarkostheGnostic
10-17-2009, 08:35 PM
By channelling this gas through some water one creates nitric acid. I think .

The alchemists of yore used to distill Sulphuric Acid (Oil of Vitriol) with Potassium Nitrate (Saltpeter) in a retort. I do not think that Nitrogen Dioxide will simply be absobed by water - especially cold water. Try distillation. That was how it was done before the Ostwarld and Haber processes. Check out Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_acid

Ghislain
10-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Nitric acid is made by reacting nitrogen dioxide (NO2) with water.
3 NO2 + H2O → 2 HNO3 + NO. Source: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_acid#Industrial_production)

Plus all the gold I placed in it has dissoved...The Acid Test - in reverse :)

Ghislain

Ghislain
10-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Has the forum been acting strangely? I have had a lot of trouble using it this morning.

Ghislain

theFool
10-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Using ammonium nitrate solution in a narrow necked flask with some copper pieces added, then adding sulphuric acid the solution begins to react creating copious amounts of nitrogen dioxide gas.

By channelling this gas through some water one creates nitric acid. I think

You are correct, it is a valid method. I have seen a similar method in a website (i don't remember now) where one can make nitric acid by thermal decomposition of MgNO3 and bubbling NO2 in water. I remember also that the guy trying this could not make strong nitric acid, only weak solutions that's why he turned to KNO3 + H2SO4 distillation which can produce concentrated nitric acid. So I suppose your method should work but probably you cannot get concentrated acid (I think the Ostwald method has the same problem also).

However, it is very motivating the fact that you have dissolved gold leaf with it. I guess for our purposes, the strength of the acid you produced is enough. Thanks for sharing this clever process.

solomon levi
11-21-2009, 07:36 AM
90% sulfur at hardware stores, $6 a pound.

http://images.lowes.com/product/070624/070624506097.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can get pure sublimed sulfur at pharmacies (flowers of sulfur)

Krisztian
04-28-2012, 03:48 AM
I completely relate to your issue of buying chemicals over there at Britain, but rest assured I live in Canada and it's just as bad! Every chemical seems like is labeled as a 'controlled substance'. I believe the problem is bigger than paranoia; it's the subtle movement towards a society that is absolutely controlled!

I guess, the solution is, you must get creative. I do find the substances that I need, I just find it under unusual circumstances.

guthrie
05-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Ebay is your friend.
As is keeping your eyes open. I found Ammonium Chloride in a garden centre, quicklime in a builders merchant, sulphuric acid in a DIY store, potassium nitrate from a re-enactment materials supplier. Alum comes from places that sell home dyeing kits, vitriol from similar places.

Cypress
07-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Hey, this is the website I have been using to buy lab supplies. i havent bought any chemicals from them yet, but they do have a nice selection. I am not sure how the shipping will work internationally but U.S. ground shipping for many of the chemicals is required.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com