PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to introduce myself.

Yvain
09-10-2009, 04:38 AM
You may call me Yvain. I have been a practicing Alchemist for 12 years. I was first attracted to alchemy through the practice of chaos magic, and over the years my pursuit of the stone has lead me to strange places. Currently I am a history major at a California State University. I do not consider myself a mystic or spiritual, for it has always been my vision that the universe is not divided into sacred or profane, material or immaterial, alive or dead. No. The Science is the science of life, and the universe is alive.

I think it fair to say that I am happy that the Ars Regia is being taught so openly, and also I am dismayed at the lack of disciplined scholarship and complete lack of thorough historiography of this science. Also troubling are the plethora of puffers and charcoal burners (who incidentally seem to be the ones with the superficial scholarship at hand) looking to make a quick buck from people who have more desire than sense, and more cash than prudence.

I have come here to teach, if called upon, and to learn, if fortunate. I always anticipate more learning than teaching, because, just as the universe is infinite, so are the depths of ones self.

I wish you health, wealth and eternal life.

solomon levi
09-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Greetings Yvain.
A very wise introduction.
I enjoyed it.
Welcome.

solomon

Ghislain
09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Good Morrow Yvain

And welcome

An interesting introduction.

Ghislain :)

Joy
09-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Welcome Yyain,

what you mean with the lack of disciplined scholarship, how is your deep view on
this topic?

nice greets ... Joy:)

Awani
09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Welcome!

Glad to have you on board!

:cool:

rockfate1111
09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Welcome Yvain,

Glad to have you with us...

I don't know if I can teach you anything...

But I look forward to what I can learn from another California residing alchemist.

Peace,

-Rockfate1111

Yvain
09-10-2009, 06:11 PM
what you mean with the lack of disciplined scholarship, how is your deep view on this topic?

Without a standard to measure against, I'm afraid I can't provide you with a quantitative answer. I will say that in many claims made regarding the Art today, it is apparent to me that many people are making leaps of intuition that are common amongst people who have made a cursory overview of the primary source documents, and then are passing these leaps of intuition as "secrets of the ancients", without further effort toward scholarship. I use hyperbole, but only to illustrate my point. There is nothing wrong with intuition. But in any epistemological approach, one must have discipline as well as imagination. The two must be joined as one. I just do not see that in many of the books, webpages, and other modern sources for alchemy. It just isn't there. It is apparent that such people have spent more time on marketing then on scholarship. Caveat emptor.

D.Frich
12-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Welcome and nice ride. What class did you win with the trophy?

Salazius
12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Welcome !

MarkostheGnostic
12-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Pax Vobiscum Yvain!

- MtG