PDA

View Full Version : To be content!

Awani
09-26-2009, 04:33 PM
When I speak of content I refer to what most dictionaries define as to be satisfied, or as I see it, to be ok with the current state of affairs.

“For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.” - from 1 Timothy 6:7-8 [KJV]

Utter bollocks!

Should we be satisfied with this? Is this all we came into this world to achieve? Is this what one of the biggest religions in the world teaches?

“The failure of the mind in old age is often less the results of natural decay, than of disuse. Ambition has ceased to operate; contentment bring indolence, and indolence decay of mental power, ennui, and sometimes death. Men have been known to die, literally speaking, of disease induced by intellectual vacancy.” - Sir Benjamin Brodie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Benjamin_Collins_Brodie,_1st_Baronet)

Since the dawn of human beings we’ve evolved and created great feats both in art and science, but we’ve also created innumerable atrocities of such an appalling magnitude that they are difficult to comprehend, especially in our cosy little content Western World!

First came the body, and then came the mind. Or more precisely first came the fear of the body, and then came the fear of the mind.

Before we can deal with our content physical selves we must first take care of our content spiritual selves, and we are indeed spiritually content. Suicide is proof of that. It is nothing but a reaction to our satisfaction, to our acceptance of the current state of affairs.

Let me misquote Thus Spake Zarathustra by esteemed Friedrich Nietzsche (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche):

“Verily, a polluted stream is man. One must be a sea, to receive a polluted river without becoming impure. Lo, I teach you the Superman: he is that sea: in him can your great contentment be submerged.” (the original quote reads contempt)

To paraphrase we need to expand our being, body and soul – flesh and spirit – gut and mind; and become a vast ocean where our sadness and our contentment can happily drown. We must stop deluding ourselves that we are happy and instead begin the becoming...

The world is unreal and in such a world there can be no true freedom, and where there is no freedom there is no free will, no will. And if we have neither freedom nor will all that is left, apart from shooting a bullet through your head or some unfortunate other, is to be ok with the current state of affairs – to be content!

Or is it?

:cool:

lillith93
04-27-2010, 01:43 AM
I don't understand everything your saying there Deviadah, but I grasp the basic concept. It is something I will have to look into.

solomon levi
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
IMObservation, people are not content. For the most part, they are all searching
restlessly for something. Nothing seems to satisfy - wealth, sex, health... whatever
we acquire there is always something more to acquire or more of the same.

As far as contentment as a spiritual state of being or something, I can relate to it
in this way:
there was one non-duality author that said something like "people imagine that an
enlightened being would have abundant wealth, lots of money, big house, etc...
but it is not necessarily so. In an enlightened, non-dual state, it is enough to have enough... not excess."

I'm fudging the words a bit - non-dualist generally don't believe or speak of
enlightenment as a state. for example
http://whatisnonduality.com/spiritual-enlightenment/the-myth-of-enlightenment

I can say from experience that when the mind/thinking stops, it would not be
incorrect to describe the experience (non-experience) as contentment.
(Again, for strict non-dualist, non-duality is not an "experience", because it implies
separation between experience and experiencer.)

Maybe contentment is similar with "being", as in "sat, chit, ananda".