Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Blog Comments

tAlchemist -
    Thanks for the share. I enjoyed it.
    Andro -
    Mr. K ~

Benzodiazepines are anti-anxiety, not anti-depressant. Some are also anti-convulsant, and are sometimes the only group that can alleviate convulsions/seizures, something that most commonly available herbs can't. A far more radical life-style-changing approach would be required to replace long term dependence on strong pharmaceuticals such as Benzodiazepines and SSRIs.

Amon ~

Religion is also a sort of "psychotropic pharmaceutical", only acting on different receptors. It's all business. If one brand doesn't get to you, another one will...
    Greg Marcus -
    I'm happy that information is useful to you. I am only familiar with the names Ripley and Fictuld. I was completely unfamiliar with Saint-Didier until I recently re-sorted my harddrive, and now I have a "Alexandre-Toussaint Limojon de Saint-Didier" folder, with "Hermetic Triumph" and "Six Keys Eudoxus" within.

I assume you are suggesting him as the author of the French version of 'Erofnetes Philosophisches Vater-Herz' as alluded to in it's title page?

I guess the trick now will to compile a bibliography attributed to him and examine the main suspects.
    Florius Frammel -
    Now that's really interesting. There are two "Ritterkriege". The ancient war of the knights by Limojon de St Didier and the Ritterkrieg by Johann Sternhals. The Sternhals Ritterkrieg is older than the ancient one by St.Didier and to produce even more confusion, St. Didier was french and Sternhals german.

So mixing those information together, can we assume that the Vaterherz was written by St. Didier de Limojon?

The virgin earth that rests only on sweet dreams reminds me on the title image of the Mutus Liber. Note the stone, or rock the sleeping guy is resting on.

Greg Marcus -
    In case you are interested, here is the info from Ferguson's Bibliotheca Chemica:

VATERHERZ.
    Das Eroffnete Philosophische Vatter-Hertz, an seinen Sohn, welches er, wegen hohen Alters, nicht Hinger wolte vor ihm verschlossen halten ; sondern zeigete und erklarte demselben alle das, was zu der volligen Composition und Bereitung des Steins der Weisen vonnothen war. Sonst in Frantzosischer, nun aber in Teutscher Sprache publicirt <lurch Benjamin Roth-Scholtzen, Phil. & Med. Doctor. Niirnberg, Bey Johann Daniel Taubers seel. Erben, An. 1717.

8°. Pp. [2] 153-231, fx7, advertisements]. Title red and black. An extract from Rothscholtz's Edition of Ripley's Works, 1717.

Erofnetes Philosophisches Vater-Herz, so bey heutiger Ausbreitnng (sic)(nach Theophrastischer Aussag) des Sternfiilchtigen Blumengeruchs der hohen Gottlichen Gnaden-Gab der Universal-Medicin nicht langer hat konnen verschlossen
    bleiben. Zu Gottlicher Werk-Wahrheit BefOrderung, der Unwahrheit Beschamung, und der natilrlichen Geheimniissen Liebhabern niitzlichen Nachricht, aus fremder Sprach iibersetzt und ans Licht gebracht, <lurch einen Liebhaber der Warheit.

Ps. 65. Gottes Briinlein hat Wasser die Fiille. Franckfurt am Mayn, hey Johann Friedrich Fleischer, 1750.
    8°, pp. 8o. The preface is followed by the letters I.I.H.M.D. Das Erofnete Philosophische Vaterherz.

See HERMETISCHES A. B. c., 1779, ii. p. 56.
    See RIPLEY (GEORGE), Chymische Schrifften, 1756, p. 153.

The edition quoted in the Beytrag is of Strasburg, 1676, 8°. That given by Kopp is dated Frankfurt a. M., 1742, and the title page is the same as that above. On account of its professing to be a translation and a new book, Kopp is unable to say whether it is identical with that of 1676, or with another of similar title edited by Benjamin Roth-Scholtz and printed at Niirnberg, 1717. Upon this last point there need be no question, for comparison of the present edition with that printed by Roth-Scholtz in his edition of Ripley's Works, mentioned below, shows tha~ they are identical except in the form of the title. I have little doubt that they are all merely reprints of the edition of

On the assumption that the works are identical, it is instructive to read the different opinions that have been passed upon it. In the Fegfeuer it is put under "Ertz-Lilgen," and the remark is made that though it seems reasonable, the author has never put his hand to the work. Fictuld on the other hand gives it the most exaggerated praise. None of the writers seem to know about the author, but Fictuld thinks that it is by the same person as wrote the" Ritter-Krieg."

In the Beytrag it is said: 'This tract has many advantages over other books on gold-making, and deserves to be carefully read and pondered. Only one thing is to be found fault with, the description of the "virgin earth,'' which rests only-on sweet dreams.'

Though Benjamin Roth-Scholtz is said to be the editor of the above extract from Ripley's Works, the actual editor was Friederich Roth-Scholtz, who, as he himself says, assumed his brother's name for certain reasons. See ROTH-SCHOLTZ (Benjamin).

• Borrichius, Conspectus Scriptorum Ckemicorum,1697, p. 38, No. liix.
    • Keren Happuck, ...oder Teutsckes Fegfeuer der Scleide-Kunst, 1702, p. 124.
    • Fictuld, Probier-Stein, 1753, Th. i. p. 159.
    • Beytrag zur Gesckiclzte der !Wkern Ckemie, 1785, p. 627.
    • Ladrague, Bibliotkeque Ouvaroff,Sciences Secretes 1870, Nos. 1264-5, 1472.
    • Kopp, Die A lckemie, 1886, ii. pp. 395-6.
    Greg Marcus -
    I'll definitely have to try to find the french title. Thanks.
    Florius Frammel -
    Sorry, no specific page or summary

I just wanted to say that there is even a book title on that symbol/deckname.

On the title page it is written that the original is french. Maybe that suits you better than the german version. I don't know the french title though.
    Updated 1 Week Ago at 05:51 PM by Florius Frammel
    Greg Marcus -
    Can you summarize or point me to specific pages that I could attempt a rough translation on?

Of course I'm familiar with the "sacred/mystic heart" (often, "of jesus"), and it shows up in the images associated with Bohme's works.

I had collected these images for the blog post a couple of days ago.. and then didn't bother to post. It took coming upon Daniel Cramer and his Emblemata sacra (1624)/Emblematum sacrorum (1627), or "The True Society of Jesus and the Rosy Cross" (with all 40-50 emblems based on the Heart) that pushed me into getting on with it.

The heart is also frequently used by Neo-sufi groups.. the fiery heart even shows up in the heraldry/emblems of Clan Lindsay (personal connection)
    Kiorionis -
    Hey there Amon,
    While anti-depressants might seem like a good idea for a quick fix, I highly recommend you look into the side effects of some of the anti-depressant medication currently on the market, especially the ‘benzo’ class medications. A friend of mine is currently going through a heavy withdrawal from using them for anxiety and depression.

There are some great herbal alternatives which you might like to try before resorting to pharmaceuticals: Lemon balm, Saffron, Blue Lotus and Holy Basil are a few of my favorites.

Just thought I’d share that
    Florius Frammel -
    Do you need more input?

When looking at the first pictures, I remembered an interesting text called "Das philosophische Vaterherz" (phil. heart of the father). It was subsequently often quoted and included in the "Hermetische ABC" compilation of Birkholz surrounding too.

German transcript version:

http://www.alchemywebsite.com/Das%20...0-%20Hertz.pdf
    Greg Marcus -
    Pythagorean "opposites".. just a quick copy/paste from Wikipedia:

Here follows a rough translation of the Table of Opposites, although like all translations the precise meaning does not necessarily carry over from the original Greek. For example, "crooked" has connotations in English that it may lack in the original.
    • finite, infinite
    • odd, even
    • one, many
    • right, left
    • rest, motion
    • straight, crooked
    • light, darkness
    • good, evil
    • square, oblong

Some sources add:
    • male, female

In Kabbalah, it's straight (male) circle (female)
    Greg Marcus -
    Yes, for sure it's only a partial thought, and a tangent from what I am concentrating on, but a tangent that keeps coming up. Sometimes to go further I have to put the partial thought, or bullet-points out there to percolate for awhile.

That's pretty insightful.. as I'm not a practical/practising alchemist, my focus in this is really the "union of opposites", perhaps most commonly represented by the male and female.

"Conjunction is just a brief encounter and not only "one" moment. It comes and goes".. this is what I like under the definition of "promiscuous".. the word "transient/transience" is a perfect description.

I like your Donum Dei post on your personal blog. I still can't find Arsenal MS. 975.
    Amon -
    Greetings Andro,

I agree that the environment does play a significant role in our well being, however there is this looming idea in my head that it would be optimal to become unaffected by it, or at least develop some resistance to its negative effects. This i believe stems from my ideas regarding true strength/power, which i will delve into at some point later when i express my philosophical thoughts.
    Reallocation unfortunately is not an option seeing how tight things are economically in Greece, and they don't seem to be getting any better.

As for your last question, that is indeed, the ultimate question. For which i have no answer. Yet.

Best regards
    Andro -
    Hi Amon,

You're still very, very young. A lot can change. Confusion and not knowing what to do is quite "normal", especially at your age (and at any age actually)...

i failed to identify the problem properly, which was myself and not the environment
    I wouldn't underestimate the impact of the environment and the role it plays in our energy and general well-being.

Perhaps you should consider relocating to an environment that is more friendly and conductive to your "inner wiring"?

I wish I could encourage you, but I don't really know how...

What is it that you want the most?
    Salazius -
    I liked your post. But you cut short the end. Unfortunately

Maybe you could go farther in your meditation here. Otherwise your references and illustrations are really good and enhance well your vision and reflexion.

I see maybe a link here with the two things :

Who exactly (and more generally) tend to get into conjunction ? Fix and volatile, masculine and feminine seeds, above and below. Trevisan said it was a "children's play" simply because the elements tend to take the place of eacho one another during the coction.

Conjunction is just a brief encounter and not only "one" moment. It comes and goes

Conjunction generates solve, or even coagula, chaos or order, conjunction generates blackness, or redness, conjunction generates precipitation, or volatilisation... It is as separation (which is never really stressed out in alchemy), a cause and effect of all "the real colours of time" as would say an Enochean Call. In fact, of all the fireworks in the flask or crucible.
    Andro -
    The "Wheel of Fortune" is a fucking hamster wheel! Oh the irony!

Greg Marcus -
    All the pics starting with the Geometry are Charles De Bovelles. The color images are from his Opera Philosophorum, 1510. A full set of the images can be found here https://goo.gl/photos/7A8iQXNKQryaLDxaA

It's definitely the Wheel of Fortune, below it says "Fortuna Rotunda" (and up top it has "Fortuna" as well). The Wheel of Fortune far pre-dates Tarot, and sometimes the same ideas are expressed instead with a set of Scales.. as one side ascends, the other descends.

on the right is the "Mirror of Wisdom".

------

Carmina Burana - BSB Clm 4660
    [S.l.] Kärnten/Steiermark oder Südtirol, um 1230 bis 14. Jh.. - 112 Bl. - Pergament
    Updated 3 Weeks Ago at 04:55 PM by Greg Marcus
    Florius Frammel -
    Who is the author and from when is that last image?
    The left person seems to carry the roue de la fortune:

Dragon's Tail -
    I read a different bit of prose on the subject, where Apollo's jealousy brought him to summon the scorpion whilst Orion fled to the sea, eventually being killed. Interesting note: The scorpion king glyphs from Egypt depict a scorpion in the sun (Apollo). I believe this story is one of the ancient methods of preserving the recipe for the stone.