Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View RSS Feed

Greg Marcus

Goodbye Google+

Rate this Entry
It was never very busy, but in a lot of ways it was superior to facebook. Especially when they finally allowed images and (hot) links in replies.

The best part, for me, was that they kept images in high resolution. I never really cared about the "social media" aspects, I liked it as a place to host content to link to from other places.

But the later addition of "Collections" was pretty cool. It's a sure thing that they are going to be lost.

My Collections

Less certain is what is going to happen to the current photo albums, since "permissions" are based on google accounts.

Example

It took me awhile to figure out how it decided to order an uploaded batch of photos as it always seemed to put them out of original sequence. (turns out it was date created/modified, so I'd have to batch process a folder of images so they'd be resaved in order of their filenames).

I've looked at alternatives, but Imgur has the same out of order problem, and I still haven't figured it out. And I haven't figured out the usefulness of Pinterest.

Still, the only way to combine text and inline images are blogs. I've had a self-imposed moratorium on posting to the blog for.. 2 or 3 years at this point. I've broken it a few times. But the idea was to force myself to learn Wordpress.. find and modify a decent template, find a host, and start moving everything over to there. I've even been paying for a domain name for that amount of time. But yeah. Hasn't happened yet.

(this is really just an excuse to test a first blog post)

Submit "Goodbye Google+" to Digg Submit "Goodbye Google+" to del.icio.us Submit "Goodbye Google+" to StumbleUpon Submit "Goodbye Google+" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Kibric -
    Why do you need to test it ?
    If it didn't work you'll know pretty quickly