Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View RSS Feed

Greg Marcus

Looking for... Ara Foederis Therapici from 1616?? (found)

Rate this Entry
Everything I find is the 1618 publication. I found access to an old paper on the WayBack Machine archive, but of course, the pictures are missing. The author of the paper included much of the same information in a later book she wrote, but didn't include the image there:

"From 1616 to 1618, Johannes Bureus produced no less than three Rosicrucian pamphlets building up to his claim about the secret of the Runes and their Gothic past. The first of these, the Ara Foederis Therapici F.X.R. Assertioni Fratemitatis RC quam Roseae Crucis vocant, consecrata. Hoc lege, perlecto Carmine certis eris (n.p. 1616), was a brief addition to a reprinted text in verse produced at Hagenau in 1614.
[...]
The frontispiece shows an altar inscribed with a rose and a tau set within a circle, thus creating the sign of vitriol, the green salt from which the process of alchemy can begin, a salt that'Paracelsus calls the Signat-stem."
So I'm looking for the 1616 that includes the frontispiece with the altar. This is bringing me back to Franckenberg and his 'Tabula Universalis Theosophica Mystica et Cabalistica', specifically the detail in the lower left. And, again to 'Divine Wisdom, Divine Nature' (edited by José Bouman and Cis van Heertum) which has this to say about it:

The connection with Rosicrucian thought is already clear from the date underneath the column on the left, which shows a rose with the initial ‘T’ in the middle and the word 'recoincentremur’. The initial ‘T’ stands for the book of the same initial which according to the Fama was found in the hands of Christian Rosenkreuz at the opening of the tomb..

But it sounds like it was a callback to his friend Bureus' frontispiece.

Edit:

Well, I found it.. or at least a reproduction of it. Now that I have it, when I do a reverse image search on it, nothing comes up.

The rest of the description from the paper:

The frontispiece shows an altar inscribed with a rose and a tau set within a circle with the letters P N V: the letters mean, according to Bureus own explanation in the manuscipt copy sent to Franckenberg: Tactum Veteris et Novi Testamenti'. It also sets out the sign of Vitriol, the green salt from which the process of alchemy can begin, a salt that Paracelus calls the 'Signatstern' and that Bureus coordinates with the angel PNU-EL

Submit "Looking for... Ara Foederis Therapici from 1616?? (found)" to Digg Submit "Looking for... Ara Foederis Therapici from 1616?? (found)" to del.icio.us Submit "Looking for... Ara Foederis Therapici from 1616?? (found)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Looking for... Ara Foederis Therapici from 1616?? (found)" to Google

Updated 02-26-2019 at 05:53 PM by Greg Marcus

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments