Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View RSS Feed

Amon

Naming the flaws

Rate this Entry
After this very brief review of my life, its now time to engage the 1st of the processes, namely calcination. I will begin by identifying the traits i see as flaws in myself.

Lethargy: Probably the strongest and most obvious one.
Weak willpower: self explanatory.
Defeatism: Could be spawning from my pessimistic view, although not entirely.

Other flaws i could name are, i believe, children of these 3 prime ones. Such as ill temper, socially awkward, lack of dilligence etc.

One significant blockade that prevents me from remeding my situation is the lack of positive feelings. Which has brought me face to face with the recommendation of taking anti-depressants to, at the very least, help kick start the recovery process. But i really dislike this proposition.

A common word i hear quite often from many religion haters and atheists is: "religion is for the weak". But on second thought, is that the case? Does religion (at least the christian one) not have strength as its foundation? I believe it takes an enormous amount of strength to be a truly religious* person. To be able to consciously overcome your flaws, to become something greater than yourself, to render yourself immune to the influence of your environment by tapping into a mystical otherwordly entity, do these things not require the greatest of strengths?
We were created in the image of God. We have the power, the potential to be strong. To persevere, to improve, to evolve. To overcome any difficulty. To realize this world is a forge of souls. Just like any metal, you will either absorb the heat and the power of the hammer to harden yourself (strengthen) or you will break. According to your will.

So if my belief stands true, and i as well have the potential to be strong, shouldn't i be able to get out of my situation? There are people who have had it a thousand times worst than me and recovered. Therefore i think i can do it as well. No meds, no chemicals, no gold wasted on these blood sucking vampires called pharmaceuticals.

Which brings me to the last point:
The root to changing all this, is willpower. Usually things are a lot easier when willpower and emotions are aligned. When what you want to do makes you feel good. But when it's the other way around? Like any muscle, to get stronger you need exercise. Shouldn't it be the same for willpower? And what better way to isolate willpower than do things that are reasonably good for you, but offer no emotional gratification?

Submit "Naming the flaws" to Digg Submit "Naming the flaws" to del.icio.us Submit "Naming the flaws" to StumbleUpon Submit "Naming the flaws" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Kiorionis -
    Hey there Amon,
    While anti-depressants might seem like a good idea for a quick fix, I highly recommend you look into the side effects of some of the anti-depressant medication currently on the market, especially the ‘benzo’ class medications. A friend of mine is currently going through a heavy withdrawal from using them for anxiety and depression.

There are some great herbal alternatives which you might like to try before resorting to pharmaceuticals: Lemon balm, Saffron, Blue Lotus and Holy Basil are a few of my favorites.

Just thought I’d share that
    Andro -
    Mr. K ~

Benzodiazepines are anti-anxiety, not anti-depressant. Some are also anti-convulsant, and are sometimes the only group that can alleviate convulsions/seizures, something that most commonly available herbs can't. A far more radical life-style-changing approach would be required to replace long term dependence on strong pharmaceuticals such as Benzodiazepines and SSRIs.

Amon ~

Religion is also a sort of "psychotropic pharmaceutical", only acting on different receptors. It's all business. If one brand doesn't get to you, another one will...