Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View RSS Feed

Greg Marcus

This keeps haunting me...

Rate this Entry
These coincidences always happen, so I'm pretty good at just rolling with it, but this is getting ridiculous. This first image came up as a Instagram post from CuriousityStream. It has nothing to do with Alchemy... its an ad from an upcoming documentary on Woodstock:

This one is from a few days before that.. I know what I was doing at the time, I was looking for a Donum Dei manuscript, Arsenal Ms. 975. I have no idea how I ended up on Ferguson manuscripts.. I know better than to go looking to try to download those or almost anything held in the UK, as they rarely have any downloads from their digitization projects. So I have no idea how I landed on MS Ferguson 208, but this was the only image:

Slightly before that, this one had showed up on Facebook, again unrelated to alchemy, and I still can't find any information on the source:

This is my favorite/main one I reference a lot:

And this is the one most people will recognize:

Two other related images from the same set:

Submit "This keeps haunting me..." to Digg Submit "This keeps haunting me..." to del.icio.us Submit "This keeps haunting me..." to StumbleUpon Submit "This keeps haunting me..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Florius Frammel -
    Do you need more input?

When looking at the first pictures, I remembered an interesting text called "Das philosophische Vaterherz" (phil. heart of the father). It was subsequently often quoted and included in the "Hermetische ABC" compilation of Birkholz surrounding too.

German transcript version:

http://www.alchemywebsite.com/Das%20...0-%20Hertz.pdf
    Greg Marcus -
    Can you summarize or point me to specific pages that I could attempt a rough translation on?

Of course I'm familiar with the "sacred/mystic heart" (often, "of jesus"), and it shows up in the images associated with Bohme's works.

I had collected these images for the blog post a couple of days ago.. and then didn't bother to post. It took coming upon Daniel Cramer and his Emblemata sacra (1624)/Emblematum sacrorum (1627), or "The True Society of Jesus and the Rosy Cross" (with all 40-50 emblems based on the Heart) that pushed me into getting on with it.

The heart is also frequently used by Neo-sufi groups.. the fiery heart even shows up in the heraldry/emblems of Clan Lindsay (personal connection)
    Florius Frammel -
    Sorry, no specific page or summary

I just wanted to say that there is even a book title on that symbol/deckname.

On the title page it is written that the original is french. Maybe that suits you better than the german version. I don't know the french title though.
    Updated 04-07-2019 at 05:51 PM by Florius Frammel
    Greg Marcus -
    I'll definitely have to try to find the french title. Thanks.
    Greg Marcus -
    In case you are interested, here is the info from Ferguson's Bibliotheca Chemica:

VATERHERZ.
    Das Eroffnete Philosophische Vatter-Hertz, an seinen Sohn, welches er, wegen hohen Alters, nicht Hinger wolte vor ihm verschlossen halten ; sondern zeigete und erklarte demselben alle das, was zu der volligen Composition und Bereitung des Steins der Weisen vonnothen war. Sonst in Frantzosischer, nun aber in Teutscher Sprache publicirt <lurch Benjamin Roth-Scholtzen, Phil. & Med. Doctor. Niirnberg, Bey Johann Daniel Taubers seel. Erben, An. 1717.

8. Pp. [2] 153-231, fx7, advertisements]. Title red and black. An extract from Rothscholtz's Edition of Ripley's Works, 1717.

Erofnetes Philosophisches Vater-Herz, so bey heutiger Ausbreitnng (sic)(nach Theophrastischer Aussag) des Sternfiilchtigen Blumengeruchs der hohen Gottlichen Gnaden-Gab der Universal-Medicin nicht langer hat konnen verschlossen
    bleiben. Zu Gottlicher Werk-Wahrheit BefOrderung, der Unwahrheit Beschamung, und der natilrlichen Geheimniissen Liebhabern niitzlichen Nachricht, aus fremder Sprach iibersetzt und ans Licht gebracht, <lurch einen Liebhaber der Warheit.

Ps. 65. Gottes Briinlein hat Wasser die Fiille. Franckfurt am Mayn, hey Johann Friedrich Fleischer, 1750.
    8, pp. 8o. The preface is followed by the letters I.I.H.M.D. Das Erofnete Philosophische Vaterherz.

See HERMETISCHES A. B. c., 1779, ii. p. 56.
    See RIPLEY (GEORGE), Chymische Schrifften, 1756, p. 153.

The edition quoted in the Beytrag is of Strasburg, 1676, 8. That given by Kopp is dated Frankfurt a. M., 1742, and the title page is the same as that above. On account of its professing to be a translation and a new book, Kopp is unable to say whether it is identical with that of 1676, or with another of similar title edited by Benjamin Roth-Scholtz and printed at Niirnberg, 1717. Upon this last point there need be no question, for comparison of the present edition with that printed by Roth-Scholtz in his edition of Ripley's Works, mentioned below, shows tha~ they are identical except in the form of the title. I have little doubt that they are all merely reprints of the edition of

On the assumption that the works are identical, it is instructive to read the different opinions that have been passed upon it. In the Fegfeuer it is put under "Ertz-Lilgen," and the remark is made that though it seems reasonable, the author has never put his hand to the work. Fictuld on the other hand gives it the most exaggerated praise. None of the writers seem to know about the author, but Fictuld thinks that it is by the same person as wrote the" Ritter-Krieg."

In the Beytrag it is said: 'This tract has many advantages over other books on gold-making, and deserves to be carefully read and pondered. Only one thing is to be found fault with, the description of the "virgin earth,'' which rests only-on sweet dreams.'

Though Benjamin Roth-Scholtz is said to be the editor of the above extract from Ripley's Works, the actual editor was Friederich Roth-Scholtz, who, as he himself says, assumed his brother's name for certain reasons. See ROTH-SCHOLTZ (Benjamin).

• Borrichius, Conspectus Scriptorum Ckemicorum,1697, p. 38, No. liix.
    • Keren Happuck, ...oder Teutsckes Fegfeuer der Scleide-Kunst, 1702, p. 124.
    • Fictuld, Probier-Stein, 1753, Th. i. p. 159.
    • Beytrag zur Gesckiclzte der !Wkern Ckemie, 1785, p. 627.
    • Ladrague, Bibliotkeque Ouvaroff,Sciences Secretes 1870, Nos. 1264-5, 1472.
    • Kopp, Die A lckemie, 1886, ii. pp. 395-6.
    Florius Frammel -
    Now that's really interesting. There are two "Ritterkriege". The ancient war of the knights by Limojon de St Didier and the Ritterkrieg by Johann Sternhals. The Sternhals Ritterkrieg is older than the ancient one by St.Didier and to produce even more confusion, St. Didier was french and Sternhals german.

So mixing those information together, can we assume that the Vaterherz was written by St. Didier de Limojon?

The virgin earth that rests only on sweet dreams reminds me on the title image of the Mutus Liber. Note the stone, or rock the sleeping guy is resting on.

Greg Marcus -
    I'm happy that information is useful to you. I am only familiar with the names Ripley and Fictuld. I was completely unfamiliar with Saint-Didier until I recently re-sorted my harddrive, and now I have a "Alexandre-Toussaint Limojon de Saint-Didier" folder, with "Hermetic Triumph" and "Six Keys Eudoxus" within.

I assume you are suggesting him as the author of the French version of 'Erofnetes Philosophisches Vater-Herz' as alluded to in it's title page?

I guess the trick now will to compile a bibliography attributed to him and examine the main suspects.