Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View RSS Feed

Greg Marcus

The language of the birds, fulcanelli, etc.

Rate this Entry
So I use my facebook mainly as a notebook.. I copypasta excerpts of whatever I'm looking through at the time with some keywords so I know I'd be able to find it again, things like that. Then I regularly download my archive. I have a lil program that parses it and lets me search on different terms.. So for instance, I can search out every reference I've made to "metatron" or something like that. I actually use it all the time. It also timestamps what I'm saying and when.. I used to use usenet groups for that (and i still regularly pull up things I was talking about 20 years ago from there). Facebook has made it weird though, with "memories".. it seems that I'm often talking about the same things at the same time of year, sometimes down to the date, or at least within a few days.

This came up on June 7th. I guess I had done one of my searches on references to the Language of the Birds. I think I first heard about it from Ovason's Nostradamus book.. and he gets into the stuff about Green, "vert" in french, being the opposite of "ou-vert", or "open".. making the green language the "closed" or "secret" language. I'm not sure of the credibility of this theory. There's several references to Fulcanelli... but I still haven't read him:

In Kabbalah, Renaissance magic, and alchemy, the language of the birds was considered a secret and perfect language and the key to perfect knowledge, sometimes also called the langue verte, or green language (Jean Julien Fulcanelli, Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa de occulta philosophia).

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 11:29am EDT
In mythology, medieval literature and occultism, the language of the birds is postulated as a mystical, perfect divine language, green language, adamic language, enochian language, angelic language or a mythical or magical language used by birds to communicate with the initiated.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:33pm EST
Although we can point to the Green Language in works as diverse as Midsummer Night's Dream and The Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosencruz, Nostradamus' quatrains, 18th century alchemical texts and surrealist manifestos, few authors have bothered to explain it.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:32pm EST
Divination is one of man's oldest spiritual technologies, its origins lost in the shift from neolithic hunter-gatherers to settled agriculturalists. As the shaman developed into the priest, divination, along with all forms of spiritism, became codified into mythology. From a framework of mythic events and divination - literally readings of the divine - came language, which evolved over time into written forms based on the original symbolic elements. In turn, these symbolic elements became the focus of divinatory practices of their own, creating sub-sets of meaning within common words and phrases. From this intentional ambiguity arose the possibility of an initiate's language, a language of the birds, or, as it was expressed by the medieval initiates, the Green Language.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:34pm EST
"What unsuspected marvels we should find, if we knew how to dissect words, to strip them of their barks and liberate the spirit, the divine light, which is within," Fulcanelli writes. He claims that in our day this is the natural language of the outsiders, the outlaws and heretics at the fringes of society.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:34pm EST
Fulcanelli's main point, the key to unraveling the larger mystery of alchemy and the cathedrals, lies in an understanding of what he calls the "phonetic law" of the "spoken cabala," or the "Language of the Birds." This punning, multi-lingual word play can be used to reveal unusual and, according to Fulcanelli, meaningful associations between ideas.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:35pm EST
It was also the "green language" of the Freemasons ("All the Initiates expressed themselves in cant," Fulcanelli reminds us) who built the art gothique of the cathedrals. Ultimately the "art cot," or the "art of light," is derived from the Language of the Birds, which seems to be a sort of Ur-language taught by both Jesus and the ancients. It is also mentioned in the Sufi text, entitled "The Conference of the Birds," by Attar the Chemist. In de Tassey's French translation of this work, which Fulcanelli references, the "conference" of the title is translated as "language." De Tassey goes on to explain the complex linguistic metaphor beneath the simple fable. Fulcanelli uses the same method to decode the alchemical meaning of the cathedrals.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:36pm EST
It is also mentioned in the Sufi text, entitled "The Conference of the Birds,"

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:37pm EST
The original source for the term Green Language was the French Langue Vert. The Vert (Green) is almost certainly an example of arcane aphesis. In French, ouvert means open. The Langue Ouvert was the open language, the tongue of ordinary men. When ouvert became vert by this aphetic change, it meant the opposite of open, i.e. closed; the Langue Vert was therefore the closed language, the occult language, the hidden tongue. ... As a result, in this strange language, a word which may appear quite ordinary is invested with another, deeper meaning comprehensible only to those who anticipate such a hidden meaning

Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 8:38pm EST
Whether termed the Green Language or the Language of the Birds, this language has the same feeling for vitality, for primordial and pristine strength, as the Green Man faces of medieval cathedral sculpture, and it is quite possible that the green foliage emerging from these mouths is meant to symbolize the rich "greening" of the opaque language. To select but one example, there may be no doubt that the greenery in the mouth of Botticelli's Chloris in his Primavera, in the Ufizi, is a reference to esoteric speech. The flowers are anemones, roses and centauries, each with their individual arcane symbolism, yet the wonder is that they are issuing from the mouth, as though the goddess was a Green Woman, breathing vegetation.

September 7, 2015 at 1:54pm
"The language of birds, seen by some as a secret language, is to give another meaning to words or a phrase, or by a set of sounds, either by puns (slang, anagrams, word fragments ...) , or by the use of symbolic of letters. In other words, language is a language of the birds into the cryptography based on three levels:
The sound match words with other statements provides a reconciliation unsaid semantic constitutes a voluntary code or to hide information, or to amplify the sense of the first word.
The puns used allow a more subtle and coded esoteric, the words are reflected ad libitum: slang, anagrams, word fragments, etc.
The script finally, based on the symbolic mystic letters spoken words, can refer to an iconic coding reinforcing the meaning of words, as in hieroglyphics."

Submit "The language of the birds, fulcanelli, etc." to Digg Submit "The language of the birds, fulcanelli, etc." to del.icio.us Submit "The language of the birds, fulcanelli, etc." to StumbleUpon Submit "The language of the birds, fulcanelli, etc." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Seraphim -
    Thanks Greg, so how do we learn this language? How do we dissect these words to find the Truth?

"What unsuspected marvels we should find, if we knew how to dissect words, to strip them of their barks and liberate the spirit, the divine light, which is within," Fulcanelli writes.

I would like to talk to birds and be like this cool guy some day, straight up beast master. Still undecided on the outfit.
    Updated 4 Weeks Ago at 01:11 AM by Seraphim
    Greg Marcus -
    "Dag the Wise or Dagr Spaka was a mythological Swedish king of the House of Ynglings (dated to the 4th century by 16th-century historiographer Johannes Magnus). He was the son of Dyggvi, the former king. According to legend, he could understand the speech of birds and had a sparrow that gathered news for him from many lands. When the bird was killed on one of these trips, Dag invaded Reidgotaland (considering the date and location, apparently Gothiscandza), in order to avenge it. There he was ambushed by a thrall and killed."
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_the_Wise

I'm hardly an expert on this - it was a quick tangent while studying nostradamus "back in the day". It was interesting that this all came up in memories as it was an active thread in the forums.
    Seraphim -
    Greg thanks for sharing.