Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View RSS Feed

Greg Marcus

techno from UltraLogic

Rate this Entry

This was me "back in the day", before the internet as we know it (world wide web). Some time ago I did some searches to see if there was anything on the net about us.

Of course, they turned "HP" into hewlett packard, when it meant hack/phreak. We had nothing to do with hewlett packard computers. Most of us were C64 users. We had our own wardialer, x25 network scanner.. code hacker for phreaking. By this point blue boxing was pretty much dead unless you could find an 800 on an old cross-bar switch. I did have a blackbox that would work for about 15 minutes per call. We released a few textfiles.. I remember one on Datapac/X25 networks. Our assembler programmer works for major game studios these days.

Someone took over the group after I left and put his name on my textfiles. I also found some shout outs to me/us in some old zines. but that's about it.

I have no idea what article this is from, I was not even aware of it until like 2010. I don't know if it was in the paper itself, or a weekend supplement or something. I know some time ago I tried whatever free archive search the Wall Street Journal had at the time, and came up with nothing. I'd be willing to pay for archive access for awhile if I thought I might actually find it.

I was eventually busted by the RCMP in the fallout of the "Hacker Crackdown" after the AT&T crash. My lawyer had boxes and boxes of "disclosure" from the prosecution. He ended up giving to me afterwards rather than having to store it himself. I had it for quite awhile. In the end, Bell Canada "accepted a loss" from a U.S. telecom in order to prosecute me in Canada. They spent 6 figures investigating me. The raid was in two places simultaneously - my parent's place (where I had started as a teen) and my apartment in Ottawa. In the end I got 2 years probation and $2000 resitution.

Submit "techno from UltraLogic" to Digg Submit "techno from UltraLogic" to del.icio.us Submit "techno from UltraLogic" to StumbleUpon Submit "techno from UltraLogic" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

theFool -
    shall we call you Neo as nickname?
    Greg Marcus -
    ha. I'd prefer to be Morpheus.
    Florius Frammel -
    And I thought you'd prefer "Belbo" ;-)
    Greg Marcus -
    Well except for his end, right? I hope a hanging is not in my future. I actually have used "Kasaubon/Casaubon" as an alternate nickname quite a bit. I think Eco said it was after Isaac, but Eliot's seems so on the nose for Eco's book:

In George Eliot's Middlemarch, Edward Casaubon spends his life in a futile attempt to find a comprehensive explanatory framework for the whole of mythology. He is writing a book which he calls the Key to all Mythologies. This is intended to show that all the mythologies of the world are corrupt fragments of an ancient corpus of knowledge, to which he alone has the key. Poor Mr Casaubon is, of course, deluded. His young wife Dorothea is at first dazzled by what she takes to be his brilliance and erudition, only to find, by the time he is on his deathbed, that the whole plan was absurd and she can do nothing with the fragments of the book that she is supposed to put into order for publication.
    Of course, this "ancient corpus" has a name, which I only learned much later.. the "Perennial philosophy". not unconnected to how i came to study in the first place.
    Greg Marcus -
    He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.
    -Douglas Adams