Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View RSS Feed

vigilance

Jaroš Griemiller - Rosarium philosophorum (1578)

Rate this Entry

As mentioned in another post, this is known as "Griemiller's Rosary". If you're like me, you are probably familiar with at least a couple of the images, although they are rarely used with any source/citation information. I think I may have happened upon the name from something McLean had posted? For awhile my best source was a pdf of a few images.. it was like a pamphlet that might be handed out at an exibhition, but lacking much production value, and only at screen quality.

I didn't find this (or 2 Ms Chem 21), I just saw it almost randomly posted on FB as another version of "Rosarium Philosophorum". I didn't believe it at first. Then I couldn't believe it was actually allowing downloads. I may have peed myself a little.

I usually (more recently) like to approximate a proper citation.. a commonly used abbreviation for the institution, a ms. #, shellmark, or other identifier they use to refer to it. I don't really have that for this one.

It's from the National Library of the Czech Republic, "Signature: XVII.E.77". If that's a manuscript number from a particular codex or collection.. or a shelfmark, I have no idea.
-------------------

"In 1578, Jaroš Griemiller of Třebsko completed an illustrated manuscript containing the first translation into Czech of an alchemical text known as the Rosarium Philosophorum (‘The Rosary of the Philosophers’). This document is the sole known record of Griemiller’s life, although a Pavel Griemiller (d. 1593, also ‘of Třebsko,’ and presumably a close relative of Jaroš) is known to have been a practising alchemist, who meanwhile held an official position as a county assayer. The manuscript was dedicated to Vilém z Rožmberka (or, Wilhelm von Rosenberg: 1535-1592), a nobleman & diplomat who was also a ‘great benefactor of alchemical research.’ The unusually high quality of the illustrations in the manuscript suggest that either Griemiller was an accomplished artist, or else that he was assisted by a painter employed in the Rožmberk court."
The illustrations in Griemiller’s Rosarium differ from those in the 1550 Frankfurt edition: he omitted some designs containing overtly Christian symbolism, and added a few more pictures of his own, some of which appear to have been of his own devising, while others were inspired by the arrestingly strange imagery in another alchemical opus, the Aurora Consurgens (‘Rising Dawn), most notably the pair of promiscuously symbolic images at the end of the manuscript."
Source: http://www.manuscriptorium.com/apps/...7___22HJWA0-cs

Submit "Jaroš Griemiller - Rosarium philosophorum (1578)" to Digg Submit "Jaroš Griemiller - Rosarium philosophorum (1578)" to del.icio.us Submit "Jaroš Griemiller - Rosarium philosophorum (1578)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jaroš Griemiller - Rosarium philosophorum (1578)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments