Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Practical Alchemy - An Introduction

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    You cannot use descensum distillation with wet matter. I bought a second kiln with the idea to modify it for descensum distillation as well as for routine calcination.

When I started to work on retort designs for descensum there were a lot of technical problems I foresaw like how to keep the dry matter from falling down into the receiver. If the screen is fine enough to prevent material from falling through it will also clogg with soot and tar causing a smoky blowout.
    Perhaps a variation of this design will work better?

-photo taken from Rasa Shastra by Andrew Mason
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    I guess you were using especially thick walled glassware right? Weren't you afraid of an explosion using tightly sealed setups when heating material that produce vapors when heated strongly?
    No, just cheap borosilicate glass. The receivers are much larger than the reaction flasks and they are sitting in a dish of water to cool them helping prevent the pressure from rising. The paper seal is tight enough to keep the vapors in the receiver but will fail if pressure in the system becomes too great. Before that happens an observant operator will put a cold water soaked cloth on the receiver to cool it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Perhaps a variation of this design will work better?

-photo taken from Rasa Shastra by Andrew Mason
    Looks pretty complicated to make compared to a horizontal distillation train. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

+ Reply to Thread