Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Music Links

I assume that most people here doesn't listen to Oi! Punk.... but the song is simply a reference to the 13th October, a day that should not be forgotten.

The Templars... just another (never racist) skinhead band with black and white members.

This one is mostly having Dev in mind... for some reason I related him to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV9IYUwwZhU

(not embeded because it's one of those videos that can't be embeded on other webs).

And another video by her:

A singer from Mongolia who learnt the famous singing techinques of Tuva, which are forbidden for women... and at some given point she was physically attacked for such thing, an attack that almost killed her.

And whilst she kept the technique, she gave up the "traditional" folk music of Mongolia (i.e, the style of music played by bands like Huun Huur Tu or Yat Kha) and embraced a very unique experimental style.... and who has a vocal range that very few singers has (I can think of Diamanda Galás or Yma Sumac as the only examples that come to my mind as to compare her).

Ghislain

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post

Ghislain
    I'm not sure if you understand it, but the video description says that overtone singing or "throat singing" is an occidental technique.
    This isn't 100% true if such thing means that it's an "occidental" (European) invention.

I like throat singing a lot... and it does exist with small variations in absolutely different and unrelated cultures of the whole world that do not seem to have "influenced" each other.
    Something interesting of this technique is that all these different cultures have traditionally used it for religious chants.
    Some populations that have traditionally used this technique:
    -Mongolians.
    -Tibetans.
    -Innuits.
    -African Pigmies
    -Italians

In most cases I prefer the throat singers who have had a "traditional education" and later moved to experimental music. My favorite in that sense is Sainkho Namtchylak (whom I posted above, who uses the "Mongolian technique"). I also like Tanya Tagaq, who uses the Innuit technique, though mixed with experimental pop.

I know it wasn't throat singing, but a weird technique and very beautiful.

I listened to your last vid post and at first I didn't like it, but as it continued it grew on me.

Here is one I shared on facebook some time ago.

Ghislain

Edit: I'm confused now...is the high pitched singing throat singing or not
    Last edited by Ghislain; 12-23-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Check out this one

Same guy...think his name is Kuular.

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 12-23-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    I assume that most people here doesn't listen to Oi! Punk....
    Not Oi! perhaps... but old school Bad Religion, Flipper, Minor Threat and such bands I certainly listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    This one is mostly having Dev in mind... for some reason I related him to the song.
    Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Not Oi! perhaps... but old school Bad Religion, Flipper, Minor Threat and such bands I certainly listen to.
    I'm not really into melodic hardcore (bad religion, NOFX, etc), but I do really really really love Minor Threat, Flipper, Crass, Conflict, Discharge, 7 Seconds, Flux of Pink Indians...

... but my most of my favorite music is extremely experimental, so I don't post it here because I am aware that most people won't even consider it to be "music" and will simply be annoying for mostly everyone (H.N.A.S., Hanatarash, Aki Onda, Wolf Eyes, Aaron Dilloway, Kapotte Muziek, Die Fabriek, Die Tödliche Doris, Illusion of Safety, Nocturnal Emissions, Z'ev, Throbbing Grislte, Maurizio Bianchi, DDAA, Lightning Bolt, Black pus, Atrax Morgue, Boredoms, John Wiese, Keiji Haino, Hair Police, C. Spencer Yeh, Burial Hex, The Skaters, The New Blockaders, Coil, etc...).

I also like a lot the margins of psychedelic music (though not really the most mainstream psychedelic bands like Pink Floyd). That's somehow more musical and easier to share without being annoying: The Focus Group, Acid Mothers Temple, Bardo Pond, Master Musicians of Bukkake, Zomes, Felix Kubim...

And I have a strange fetish with Mr. Morrissey, the greatest anarcho-punk pop singer!

So... here's some of the psychedelic music I like:

"I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and fuck my head
    Hang out with the living dead
    Snort white shit up my nose
    Pass out at the shows
    I don't even think about speed
    That's something I just don't need"

Blog Entries
    Ok well maybe you will like Secret Chiefs 3 and Mr Bungle.

Not often this brag works (might on you LOL) because most people do not know what I am talking about but I have seen Flipper live when they used Krist from Nirvana as a bass player. It was a great concert!

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Ok well maybe you will like Secret Chiefs 3 and Mr Bungle.

Not often this brag works (might on you LOL) because most people do not know what I am talking about but I have seen Flipper live when they used Krist from Nirvana as a bass player. It was a great concert!
    I don't really like Secret Chiefs 3 or Mr. Bungle... I have some sort of problem with Mike Patton, probably because I can't forget his relationship with Faith No More (I dislike Metal as much as I dislike wife beaters!)

On the other hand, I LOVE Naked City and the projects by John Zorn... though I certainly prefer Naked City with the glorious Yamantaka Eye and I can "forget" that Patton is singing when Zorn hires him.

But going to the IMPORTANT part of your post... YES, you can brag about it with me!!!!!!
    I know that most people won't get it, but it's the musical equivalent of saying: "by the way, I've had a dinner with Fulcanelli once... we ate a nice Soup d'Onion, that was cooked by Roger Caro".

For God'ss sake... Flipper!!!! Yes, I am jealous!!!!!
    For those who do not get it: Back in the early 80's nobody knew what to do with the legacy of Punk... some bands started to play new-wave, others went Goth.... others decided to take as many drugs as possible and play very fast and adopt the mohawk hairstyle and try to look rebel (Exploited, G.B.H., etc)...
    But there was one band, one single band, that did the opposite: they slowed down the fast tempo of punk, they started to sing about the deepest human emotions and they completely ignored the "tendencies" that ALL the other bands were taking... and they became a living myth, this band was Flipper.

One of those bands that deserve a place in the Heaven of the bands that can't be mentioned without some feeling of extreme respect (like Velvet Underground, Joy Division or Throbbing Gristle).

And this is how they sound:

... But I won't let Dev brag alone without doing the same myself!!!

Back in the mid 90's the U.K. Subs played in my city in the worst promoted gig of the history of the world. The organizer tried to reduce his costs by assuming that a gig doesn't need any promotion...

The result of such thing is that the U.K. subs were a 5 persons band... and the amount of people in the audience was 4 persons. I was one of those 4 (I went with a friend who is a bass player).

They could have cancelled the gig, but the U.K. Subs decided to play for the four of us almost the whole of their discography in one of the longest gigs they gave in their history: they played for some 3 hours.

Since the audience was 4 persons, they played ALL the songs on request that we asked them to play... and when someone knew the lyrics of a song, they allowed us to get on the stage and sing along with Charlie Harper, who helped us to sin in the right tempo they were playing. They also allowed my friend to play the bass in "Warhead"... and I became the "lead singer of the U.K. Subs" for "Tomorrow's girls" and "Warhead".

The most surreal gig of my life with a band that, just like Flipper, I consider to be a true "Myth" of contemporary music.

(Dev, I won't let you brag if I don't do it too!!!!).

Finally, a funny story of something that happened to my brother:
    He's a film director. He was invited to a Festival in Berlin to show one of his movies.
    After the movie there was a Q&A and Marilyn Manson was in the audience.
    Marilyn took the microphone and said: "I didn't like your movie, but unlike most of the modern directors, I think you are a legitimate artist".
    My brother, who doesn't like the music of Marilyn Manson (I don't like it either) replied: "I do not like your band at all, but I think you are a legitimate artist". Manson smiled and liked the answer.

After the movie there was a general cocktail for all the persons involved with the festival... My brother described it as "very formal and boring". It seems that Manson was getting bored too and alone, just like my brother... so he walked next to him and told him: "This cocktail is incredibly boring, we are in Berlin and we are wasting our time here... why don't we just leave and walk all over Berlin and have some fun?".

They did... so my brother and Marylin Manson spent the whole night walking all over Berlin talking about life, art, philosophy and joking. He said that behind the make-up and the "character" that plays to be the anti-Christ on stage there's a funny person who is also quite clever... and they became friends. They still dislike the art that the other one creates.

My only similar adventure was meeting, very much by chance, Blixa Bargeld on the streets of my city (during a tour of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds). We spent some 40 minutes talking, though the conversation was a bit weird because we discovered by the beginning of the conversation that the two of us are vegetarians... so we mostly spent the time exchanging recipes of vegetarian food (yes, I've had a 40 minutes conversation with the living GOD of experimental music... and our conversation was mostly 100% about recipes of vegetarian food).

LOL... anyone else had a weird adventure with a famous or infamous rock star?

+ Reply to Thread