Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oak - Acorns

Blog Entries

Oak - Acorns

Here are the oak acorns before the extraction, followed by their resinous extract and the potash, ready to be united.

This is what inspired me to perform this process, although I've changed a few details and enhanced the project by adding the Salt.
    Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Before even mixing in the Salt, I was surprised to see that the resin I'd been extracting from the acorns is actually very water soluble. The ether I had submersed the acorns in somehow helped to strip of the resin, but when I did another extraction I noticed that the two (ether and resin) didn't actually mix... And the resin is hardly (if at all) soluble in alcohol...

I made a week tincture with a bit of resin dissolved in water (which turned yellow/golden) + a little vodka for preservation.

I gave one drop to friend who is very sensitive, and within less than an hour his lower back pain of many days vanished.

Now I've come to understand that the resin from the acorns is quite different than the actual resinous blood of the oak tree (which is NOT water-soluble). It most likely contains tannic acid, which can have therapeutic effects on the kidneys in small doses (that may explain the healing of the lower back pain), but poisonous to the kidneys in large doses.

Anyway, this is not my main/high priority project, but I'm still curious how it will behave when mixed with the potash... or maybe I should get the resin from the oak tree itself (after asking permission, of course) instead of the acorns...

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Before even mixing in the Salt, I was surprised to see that the resin I'd been extracting from the acorns is actually very water soluble. The ether I had submersed the acorns in somehow helped to strip of the resin, but when I did another extraction I noticed that the two (ether and resin) didn't actually mix... And the resin is hardly (if at all) soluble in alcohol...

I made a week tincture with a bit of resin dissolved in water (which turned yellow/golden) + a little vodka for preservation.

I gave one drop to friend who is very sensitive, and within less than an hour his lower back pain of many days vanished.

Now I've come to understand that the resin from the acorns is quite different than the actual resinous blood of the oak tree (which is NOT water-soluble). It most likely contains tannic acid, which can have therapeutic effects on the kidneys in small doses (that may explain the healing of the lower back pain), but poisonous to the kidneys in large doses.

Anyway, this is not my main/high priority project, but I'm still curious how it will behave when mixed with the potash... or maybe I should get the resin from the oak tree itself (after asking permission, of course) instead of the acorns...
    Incredible, that's very nice project!

Which were you results if i may ask? I suppose something in the way of Golden Chain essence oriented maybe?

I didn't expect acorns to have that much, or even that it had any resin inside! Cool.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! This was more than 10 years ago, so I don't really remember how (or if) I proceeded, and I've moved on to much more interesting projects since then

Quote Originally Posted by Argento Vivo View Post
    Incredible, that's very nice project!

Which were you results if i may ask? I suppose something in the way of Golden Chain essence oriented maybe?

I didn't expect acorns to have that much, or even that it had any resin inside! Cool.

Uops!

I can imagine. Would have been nice to know more, i'm simply curious. Anyway as i said it's an unexpected thing to see resin in there.

Kind regards

+ Reply to Thread