Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 22 ... LastLast

Thread: One Matter - One Vessel - One Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Absolutely - true and without doubt! You have been more than explicit with your description, except maybe for one word I would change in the above statement
    Oh yeah?

Absolutely - true and without doubt! You have been more than explicit with your description, except maybe for one word I would change in the above statement

I would be glad to hear you have also found this reflected in your personal experience, for it brings much joy to hear from someone successfully implementing those keys.
    Its a gradual process, I count myself as travelling the path of Samekh, where such ideas must be tried in the fire multiple times. Obtaining the right equipment (even if it is different to the sophist's equipment) costs money and time, and certain aspects require fair weather and the right external conditions. I consider myself lucky though to be able to benefit for now in other ways from these teachings about how everything grows down here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleilius View Post
    Oh yeah?
    Yeah

At least as much as my own observation and experience reflects it so far...

The Highest Light is in closest proximity to the Lowest Places. See the Ouroboros model...

And (as I see it), this or that specific matter is of much lesser importance to focus on than the underlying keys/principles, some of which Vega33 has explained quite plainly.

Aleilius, this is all strictly my perspective, and the fact that I've found it to be of great value to me, does not mean it needs to invalidate different perspectives with which I have no revelatory or practical experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vega33 View Post
    Obtaining the right equipment (even if it is different to the sophist's equipment) costs money and time, and certain aspects require fair weather and the right external conditions.
    IME, the deeper one digs into the philosophy, the less money will be needed for equipment Per Se. But then again, time may be counted as money as well (for those with limited resources), since there are bills to pay, etc...
    Fair weather and external conditions DO come into play as factors, but are not of huge importance if time is not an issue.
    I have also found the Full Moon to be extremely beneficial for the concentration of the Natural Fire. And an Eclipse is even stronger in this regard...

Quote Originally Posted by vega33 View Post
    I consider myself lucky though to be able to benefit for now in other ways from these teachings about how everything grows down here.
    This is wonderful, as I feel we should be in sync with our work. The Work itself may be autonomous, but are we? Or, unlike Our Work, do we resist this natural autonomous process inside ourselves?

Because IMO, all we can really, actually 'DO' - is resist. Resistance creates tension, and subsequently space/time delay, in our work and in ourselves.

I kind of went on a philosophical tangent here

In any case, I enjoyed reading what you wrote...

Yeah

At least as much as my own observation and experience reflects it so far...

The Highest Light is in closest proximity to the Lowest Places. See the Ouroboros model...

And (as I see it), this or that specific matter is of much lesser importance to focus on than the underlying keys/principles, some of which Vega33 has explained quite plainly.

Aleilius, this is all strictly my perspective, and the fact that I've found it to be of great value to me, does not mean it needs to invalidate different perspectives with which I have no revelatory or practical experience.
    Hi Androgynus, no worries. I was reading an article yesterday that noted that radioactive decay rates were altered by seasonal, and solar influences (flares, etc). If you are speaking of the Sun as the highest light.

There are strange things afoot out there that I can only begin to fathom.
    Last edited by Aleilius; 12-26-2010 at 04:14 PM.

There is an agent that is needed in order to reduce Sol, and Luna into their first matter. That is our mercury. I believe it has been said that without this agent our Art would be hopeless, and our work in vain.
    So this brings up a good point: what is this first "one" matter?

Philosophically one could make a lot of discussions about energy being the first created. But whether the ancient philosophers had this in mind is another matter. Water, Thales said to be the source from which all things are formed. This would seem like a first matter.

Additionally, one of Pernety's most important statements (seemingly quoting an aphorism of the philosophers also quoted somewhat differently in the Compass of the Wise) is about how out of all things ashes can be made, from ashes can makes a salt, from salt one can separate water and mercury. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust". A composite body takes more energy to transform than a simple body, because it holds its form together and this form battles against the transformation of its substance. The Rosary says:

And this water of which and with which our magistery is effected, is both dear and cheap, for it dissolveth bodies not with common solution as the ignorant report, which converts the body into cloud water, but by the true philosophical solution, in which the body is changed into its first water of which it hath been from the beginning this self same body. That is, the water transforms bodies into Ashes.
    I suspect that when some authors talk of the dissolving mercury "opening the pores of the metal" this is what they refer to. If you'll recall there was a story told by Canseliet about a goldsmith in Helvetius' time who prepared some special "spirits of salt" to transmute some metals and a yarn about the star that appeared on top of the bath after a certain period of time. Of course the "spirits of salt" was not common HCl though. Most likely it was of a composition specific to the metal being dissolved.

Blog Entries
    Forgive my crudeness; my green mind sees and does -
    "Out of all things ashes can be made"
    Ashes + Sol = Assholes From assholes come excrement.
    In the spring, under the sign of torus.
    The sphinx is fire, air, water and earth.
    Macro/microcosmic sphinx(ters):

This is the action of the Void contemplating/pondering itself, becoming self-aware.
    The head swallows the tail. The resulting expansion/excrement is light - our first matter.
    Last edited by solomon levi; 12-26-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

To further refine the concept of First Matter I mentioned above I thought I would provide some quotes from Compass of the Wise, which references several well known texts (btw: much kudos goes out to True Puffer for help in my understanding of the German text).

In Section 1.5 of Part 2 of Compass of the Wise, the anonymous author quotes "the son of Sendivogius" (author of the Waterstone of the Wise) as follows:

"Its red substance is at first in the form of an ore from the ore clefts, and it is truly a stone because it is hard and dry, and it must be crushed and triturated like a stone, then dissolved into the first beginnings which Nature herself had at first combined; then disolved, and finally again dried and boiled into a fireproof artificial Stone."
    They then go on to say:

In these few lines the author has taught the whole process of Nature and the Art, omitting however the manipulations. Therefore, at every beginning, the Artist must divide and grind this hard Stone, and after that divide it again with the Philosopher Hammer, into the three first beginnings or magical Elements and restore it, so that a fourth something, which is the curse, be separated from outside, and it can thus be delivered up to Nature for its further inner lapidation. All the Wise assert this, saying that it would be impossible to reach the Prima Materia (ie, the Hyle primordiali) without opening up the hard bonds.
    They further explain later on that by the Philosophical Hammer they mean the maical fire or steel (which the Ram hides in its belly).

The same chapter elaborates even more in some of the footnotes, which are very instructive. It reproaches the "mentally feeble" who are seeking the matter which takes no effort to putrefy "such as May Dew, rainwater, hailstones, snow, etc" and explains that while such things may yield many marvels, their virgin earth, universal salt, etc, is "so extended in their porous and fluid housing that it is difficult to collect and keep them together, because the box is transparent, as Philalethes says so acutely".

It quotes Jakob Boehme as saying: each hard matter ("such as metals and stones, wood, herbs and the like"), has within it quite a noble tinctur and high spirit of Life-force, as is also to be understood in the bones of creatures, as the noblest tinctur according to the vitality of the light lies in the marrow of the bones. And, on the other hand, only a fiery tinctur lies in the blood, that is, sulfur, salt, and mercury.

In a like manner know this: Everything in this world's essence that is soft, mild, and thin is emanating and self-giving, and its ground and origin is according to the the unity of Eternity, for the unity is eternally emanating from itself, as one understands there is no perceptibility or pain in the essence of thinness, as in water and air, that this same essence is a unity in itself.

But whatever is hard and impressing, like bones, wood, herbs, metals, fire, earth, stones, and similar materials, therein lies the image of divine Life-force and movement, and it encloses [sic] itself against the crassness with its Separator (as an emanation of divine desire) as a noble jewel or spark of divine Life-force. Therefore it is hard and fiery, and it has its own ground of divine subjectivation, as where the Eternal One continually introduces itself into a trinitarian basis for the movement of Life-forces, and shuts itself up against the emanation, against the introduction of Nature's egocentric will, operating with the Life-force of unity through Nature.

And thus it is to be understood with the noble tinctur: Where it is noblest, there it is the most encompassed in the hardness (my emphasis - V33). For in it Unity is contained in a mobility, as in a percepibility of mobility. Therefore, it hides itself again. But in thinness it does not enclose itself in such perceptibility, but it is the same in all things, just as water and air are similar to all things and in all things. But the dried water is the true Pearl-ground in which the subtle Life-force of the mobility of the Unity in the center is contained. To those of us who are worthy of this it is hereby intimated that they should not appropriate to themselves the soft apart from the fiery nature, seeking the mystery therein.
    This was not meant to be a Boehme quote-fest, but I do not know of any other place where the philosophical grounds (pardon the pun) of our Art are contained so explicitly and clearly. Furthermore, the Separator mentioned is mentioned as meaning that every thing contains within itself its own solvent and coagulant.

Further, Philalethes mentions that every body is a kind of black lantern, containing held within itself a light which cannot be seen because it is obscured by the coarseness of the materia. This is an interesting adjunct to the writings above.

Its worth meditating a while on this information (I certainly still am), and understanding the need to designate between the prima materia universalum and the prima materia metallorum. The thing that returns to Unity in the metallic kingdom, and the thing that returns to unity in the general or other kingdoms, is different, although they both participate in the Unity with the celestial realms. And whereas nitre is symbolic of the process moved to a different realm, it is, we may perhaps say, not literal nitre in the realm of the metals, as should be evident to any geologist. Each realm has its own Golden Chain whereby the primordial becomes manifest in a specific body. In order for that hard body to be created, it must be manifested from above, and thus it is said that the original body must be ground up and dissolved, so that a new body may be evolved out of it and the universals above.

Blog Entries
    I was reading an article yesterday that noted that radioactive decay rates were altered by seasonal, and solar influences (flares, etc). If you are speaking of the Sun as the highest light.
    No, I am not speaking of the Sun as the Highest Light. The Highest Light does not come from a Sun, but is the Light which FORMS Suns (Black/Dark/Invisible Suns included, as these are 'Nodes'/'Islands' of this invisible Stream/Ocean of Light), and actually forms everything else for that matter.

And it is this Highest Light which is in closest resonance/proximity with the most 'lowly', 'vile', 'rejected' and 'despised' things. Again, see the Ouroboros model.

Another thing to remember is that those vile things are but gateways for the Higher Light to enter this realm. They are not 'Our Mercurial Matter' per se, but are indeed highly desirous for it.

A nice quote from the movie 'I ♥ Huckabees': "No Manure - No Magic"
    Last edited by Andro; 01-03-2011 at 10:21 AM.

One more bit about putrefaction:

(Source)
    hallo androgynous,
    thank you for making me know a work of Philalete that i was not aware of.
    and while i'm at it, I have to make my public apologies to you, salazius and others on this forum for having affirmed the unorthodoxy of urine as alchemical subject.
    after that many more books have passed under my eyes, I became much less cathegoric in considering the saying una via, una re, una dispositio (I found the ancient greeks specially enlighting on that matter..).
    with humility
    t

+ Reply to Thread