Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 37 ... LastLast

Thread: One Matter - One Vessel - One Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Chasm View Post
    Everything that I say flies over your head because you're focusing on trying to take me down. Do you not realize your folly?

JDP, stop trying to impress me with your retention of information. The setup is perfect for this method. Ive worked with and without it and I know why it's here. You can't understand Mr.French. If you could, you see he was an alchemist par excellence. Again, your myopic in your intake of information though your ability to retain info is strong.
    The "folly" here is all yours (AGAIN!) for obviously not having understood what the apparatus being described by French is for. Once again I have to explain obvious things to you.

And there is nothing remotely "alchemical" about John French's text. He shows no interest whatsoever in the Stone and transmutation. He was simply a spagyrical doctor. He was no more an "alchemist" than Glaser or Lemery.

The following passages have been taken directly from the prefaces of the book
    "The Art of Distillation" by John French:

http://www.alchemywebsite.com/jfren_dd.html
    In the perfection of this art, I mean the accomplishing of the Elixir, is the sulphur of philosophers set at liberty, which gratifies the releasers thereof with three kingdoms, viz. Vegetable, Animal, and Mineral. And what cannot they do, and how honorable are they, that have the command of these? They may commend lead into gold, dying plants into fruitfulness, the sick into health, old age into youth, darkness into light, and what not?
    Prevail with nature, and the fair Diana of the philosophers is at your service.
    Now, if you cannot prevail with nature for the fairest of her daughters, viz. the mercury of philosophers, yet she has other daughters of wonderful beauty also, as are the essences and magisteries of philosophers which also are endowed with riches, honor, and health, and any of these you may more easily prevail with their mother nature for. This art of alchemy is that solary art which is more noble than all the other six arts and sciences, and if it did once thoroughly shine forth out of the clouds whereby it is eclipsed, would darken all the rest (as the sun does the other six planets) or at least swallow up their light.
    Not only is this book an alchemy text, it is probably the most descriptive text
    in the entire alchemy corpus. Even John French himself asserts the completeness
    when he says that he identifies the starting substance but only leaves one thing
    out of the process:
    http://www.levity.com/alchemy/jf_pref.html
    There is but one thing which I desire to be silent in, as touching the process thereof. As for the thing itself to be prepared, what it is I have elsewhere in this treatise expressed.
    I'm sorry to say JDP, that on your assertion 'there is nothing remotely "alchemical" about John French's text' you are absolutely wrong.
    ==================================
    "Show me a stone which can cure cancer in 1 week,
    and I care not whether it transmute base metal to gold."

==================================

Blog Entries
    I dug up this little text from my archives... Looks like a synthesis of different authors with a few extra additions/insights... Bolds, colors & underlines are mine...

THE FIRST MATTER

(No Author or Date)

When we turn our thoughts to the preparation of the Universal Matter, the highest Art of the Wise, in which is concentrated all the strength of heaven and earth, we must know that it is in all things, know what the universal Subject is, and how it is constituted; the fire of nature in its two diverse properties, the corporeal and the universal working power, which the philosophers call the First Matter. The foundation being the Mercury of the Wise also called the universal matter. But the Wise know that it cannot now be found in the world as One Thing, in which the 2 central fires of nature remain limited and corporeal. Therefore they say, that whoever works through One Thing errs and does not follow the Art, but he who knows the Universal Matter has the true Wisdom, and for him the door of Wisdom stands open.

What God has created is found in the three Kingdoms, so we must earnestly look for this Universal Matter in them, and it is easy to find if we think in which creation the cleanest and purest Light of Nature of God can be found.

The Universal Subject is the most noble of God's Creation, in which God Himself burns for love.

When we look around in the whole of nature, we see that Man is God's most excellent work, for all creatures belong to the natural and perishable world, but Man stands in a two-fold position, for he is natural and also supernatural, held dearest by God and created over all things.

Though his body is perishable through the Fall by corruption and participating in it, yet his soul is born of God, supernatural and imperishable, for the Spirit of God has his place and home in him, and does not belong to the great world, but Eternity.

Therefore Basilius Valentinus says: Man is through his soul a divine entity, even though his outward body perishes even as the animals, but man can overcome this natural being through the Q.E. for he is the Centrum Centrorum and the Centrum Concentratum, as the small world is called, and Basilius says further, everything is found in the small that is found in the great one, namely heaven and earth, the elements and all that is in the Firmament.

We see too that the Wise, not without reason, say, "In you lies the most precious of all precious things, in man is found all the strength of heaven and earth. The Philosophers say, "Take on the Art, where Nature leaves off", for they wish people to understand Creation and how Creation came about. The philosophers after their magician Stilo say: This Universal Matter is the philosophic Mercury from which all things are taken and held, and man being the Centrum Centrorum understands the properties of all Creatures, and has the powers of the three Kingdoms of the lower world in triplicate in himself. He must realize that the beginning of the Light of Nature can be found in himself, for he is grounded in the eternal nature.

In order that we should not be confused by the various names of the Prima Materia, Sendivogious warns us truly that we must comprehend the hidden meaning, not simply the outward words, for that is their intention. Where Nature finishes in the Metallic kingdom and in our eyes has a substantial body, there we must start our Art. The Mercury of the Wise must necessarily be taken from man, as Riplaus shows when he writes, Man is the noblest of all creatures in the false creation, and in him are the four elements, one in another, which become one working, and in the mercurial family are many materials, which through the Art can be drawn out.

As the two central fires of nature lie in the Microcosmo, so are they also in the Macrocosmo, and in specie in the Spiritual fire. In the fire is an Astral Spirit, as a subtle Nitre and is endowed with a living soul, which is the Archaus of the Motor Universalis, that is in all things and which opens its most inner Centrum and pours into it a fermenting property through which life awakens, and is brought to further use: Without this astral spirit the two corporeal fires are dead and not working, but when they are opened by the fermenting property they are made volatile, and all life awakens. Nothing can exist without this astral Spirit which is the life of all things, and in Alchemie nothing new can be born without it, or be placed in the Plusquam perfection, for the Spirit alone gives life to all.

As all creatures have it for their beginning and in Gods order are held by it and nourished, so it is no stranger to any creature, for though it is Spirit, yet it can be in a body. Hermes says: The upper open Spirit is most hidden in the earth. Work the upper open Spirit with the lower secret one, so will the living one awaken the dead, and be to it as a Well of Life and work great wonders.

The Holy Spirit is indeed the agent which awakens and subtilizes the two corporeal central fires. When these two are brought to full perfection and their Universal Working power made substantial, the philosophical saying is justified: "He who makes the volatile fixed, and the fixed volatile, understands the working of our Universal and Particular Recipe".

This is confirmed by Basilius in his Tract on Universal and Particular Things when he writes: "The Universal is the most precious thing of the Wisdom, and the three properties are one property, and is found and drawn out from one Property from which all metals can be made into One, and is the true Spirit Mercury and Anima Sulphur, which cleanses the holy salt, sealed under one heaven, living in one body and is the Dragon and the Eagle. The King and the Lion is the Spirit and the Light Word of Spirit, the body of the Sun colour becoming a medicine. Finally all three principles are one expression in the Love of God.

This Universality of the Stone is confirmed by the many born from the universal centre. Other Recipes are only used in particular instances and must be so observed.

That the Universal Materia lies only in the Microcosms is further shewn by Basilius in Tr. de Microcosmo. The natural means and remedy is found in the Microcosmos, metals and minerals follow after, and if one cannot find out the remedy, place one similar upon another similar and healing will result. It is also said, Though it may be easy to make the Stone or Lapidum it is far harder to full comprehend it. All Philosophers including Adam, Solomon, Hermes and Theophrastus, by they ever so wise, recognize this difficulty. Dionysius Zacharias also realises that God placed a Divine working power in the Universal Stone.

The Wise always mentions the necessity of knowing how to prepare their Mercury in their writings, for they say "Our Spirit which enlivens the bodies of metals is a natural fire, declared openly by man or revealed by Gods Spirit. Flamellus fearing to offend God did not wish to disclose the Key to the portals of nature, by turning over the lowest earth to the highest heaven. Sendivogius says: "Though in a sense much is said openly nevertheless, the extraction of our salt or Mercury Sophici and that which bridges them over our water, is never openly mentioned but only revealed by God.

When the philosophers mention their salt or mercury, their WATER is simply a matter of speech. They speak of their water as a dry water which does not cleanse the hand. What they really mean by this is that the salt is the Key to the Art, for in the SALT lies the opening of all things, and in such lies the Universal Menstruum of the white Mercury. Of this Mercury the philosophers say: It is a Stone and yet not a Stone, when a fiery air salt goes into all bodies and opens them. It is a Stone however when it opens and unites with the body, then it belongs to the fiery grade of nature, may become dry and be processed. Then is the white mercury a salt which has no resemblance to the ordinary salt, but which has an Alkali and an Astringent substance, of which Philaletha says, "Our mercury is to be found nowhere over the earth, but it is a Son which is given to us by a wonderful Art.

Its beginning is partly heavenly, partly false, for it must give birth to a Light Spirit, in it are two central spiritual fires, these at the beginning of all Procreation covered over the waters, acting according to Gods Hand, and until a certain hour gave all creatures nourishment and multiplicity. It is false however through its false being, overcomes love and its existence and thereby partakes of both the lower and higher powers. From its heavenly source it draws all the powers of heaven, and lives in the Air, therefore called the Sea of the Wise, and Basilius again says, The Recipe of all metals is a heavenly volatile watery spirit, which is contained in the AIR and in the earthy kingdom and WATER, seeks its natural home and the air is the secret and hidden earth, which hovers over our heads and from which through the elementary environments is drawn our white Nitre. Paracelsus writes of this, "One must know the anatomy of the living body, and from it draw the Essence (without hurting the body) from which all the wonders of the world can be produced". This would be the great secret of the Adepts which they keep concealed, and Paracelsus shows that the two central fires should not be taken roughly from people but gently when overflowing of itself.

Ur in Caltha
    has in it the cold central fire which stands in its noble salt, and that is our Magnet, Philaletha calling it Moon and Copper. In the red that is in the Stercus Adamish earth is the Electrum minerale immaturum, the Electrum electissimum, the secret white saturnine minera, still in its water, and in whose strength all metals lie hidden, and from which can come forth minerals like Antimony, Iron, solis Gold, the sulphur of the philosophic mars, iron and the gold in which the warm central fire or our acidic sulphur, through which our astral mercury receives it. For this sulphur is the clearest fire and greatest Balm of Nature.

Sendivogius warns us that we should not be led astray by these above mentioned minerals, for he says: "One must not look for the warm central fire in the ordinary metals of common man, for the gold in ordinary mortals is dead, but ours is alive and has a spirit, it is this which one must take."

This upper astral spirit Sendivogius calls our Water or Dew, from which our Nitre is drawn, the mother of the centrum solis and moon. Hermes says: The sun is its father, the Moon its mother, the wind carries it in its belly. It is called by many names, the Subjectum, Hyle, the First Matter of the world, for this Spirit is the same light Power hovering in the beginning over the water, the Archaus, the first working nature or Beginning of all things.

Protheus also, for he takes all manner of creatures to himself. The Saturnian Spirit, for he brings all things before us. This astral spirit through its incessant working and motion imparts its strength to the lower world. For if this spirit ceased for a moment, then would all creatures die and decay.

God the Almighty Creator of Heaven
    The earth lives in Light
    The Light in Spirit
    The Spirit in Salt
    The Salt in the Fire
    The Air in Man
    The Man makes visible the Air and Spirit.

Oh single eternal Heavenly and true Life, the salt and tree Jesus Christ! This fruit, Apocaly xxll v. 2. which leads and holds us in eternal life, I pray you that we may confound the false Tree of Life, Gen. 2. v. 9:13 & 22. and hand over the Walls of Paradise these pages of prose. May we in this life reach our goal for the refreshment of our mortal bodies, to the confounding of death by practicing the true knowledge and working of our Art.

AMEN

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    How many times does this has to be explained to you, only for you to totally not get it... AGAIN!?!? This was an integral part of the discussion since the very beginning. Yes, you are being VERY obtuse.
    I've tried to leave this but you keep lowering me to rebut the infantile. You're still a good guy JDP. But for your information, EVERYTHING within the scope of your vision is matter. Your comprehension, if you're being honest, is warped. Your interpretation of one matter only, is warped. I won't waste time on this further.
    AGREE TO DISAGREE LIKE AN ADULT. don't try and belittle me to be right. You're not a fool. Don't act like one.
    I can't find any references to any "National Security Act of 1951" in Canada. Plus even if it exists (under a different name), I seriously doubt that it included any books on physics. Again, do you think 1951 is 1633? Canada under the watchful eye of the Inquisition? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "nope". Thankfully, the Inquisition has been relegated to the pages of history.
    That's your problem. I have restricted old military radio books as well. But as I keep saying, you view things with a myopic perspective.
    It doesn't mean a thing to you very likely because you obviously have a lot of trouble reading & comprehending things. Most readers easily get the point of what I explain. And no, French was not describing any vacuum-making apparatus, just a security device for avoiding too much pressure from accumulating inside the flasks. Learn the obvious difference between the two.
    The obvious is ABOVE YOU! You are of flea like intelligence. You have mnemonic capabilities but you're not exhibiting smarts. You've left yourself wide open and I've held back. I've warned you of this. Wait now..... It's coming......the "Hermetic Seal of Hermes" is the vacuum. You couldn't make the link for arguments sake. If you couldn't do that and you're still searching for mixtures, you've got a vacuum where it shouldn't be.
    Excuse my condescending tone, but I don't take your attitude towards me that well.
    These are in fact all your problems. Nice attempt at projecting them unto me, but it does not work. It's called "psychological projection". A very childish tactic.
    Shameless!!!
    Where "I'm at" is just a realistic view of the subject, based on logic, common sense and a perusal of a load of alchemical texts from throughout the history of the subject, while you are still taking such things as "one matter only" totally literally and naively still thinking that such a thing that can perform all of what the alchemists describe can possibly exist already made in nature.
    Ignorance!!!
    You also said that "a picture is worth a thousand words", and that is what I was responding to. Try to keep up with even your very own posts.
    You have no culture either!!!
    What about them? Yes, I have seen "circular" formations in some experiments.
    I'm sure..."some". Your B.S. is obvious.
    As it often happens with your strange vague tirades: no, it is not very clear what you mean or refer to.
    Well well, why am I not surprised. Your views are myopic. I can't say it enough.
    Sorry to be bursting your bubbles by the way.

Yes, you did, and apparently you finally got the facts straight. Metals increase in weight after calcination, and they do not emit any "volatile parts". What I am wondering is how could you get through high school ignoring this? This is Chemistry 101 stuff.
    Absolutely myopic!!! Do you think that I placed this here for you to gloat? It's off topic but, perhaps you'll want to explain what caloric is first, and quantify the comments on the proportions of oxygen and metal. You're desire to be correct forces you to see only what you comprehend. You therefore miss the forest for the trees...myopia!

People do not need to actually see a vacuum to THEORETICALLY envision one. People have been using their imagination for a very long time to speculate about nature and its workings. Aristotle and his predecessors had no problem IMAGINING a vacuum. But Aristotle rejected it as being possible. Really, man, how old are you? 5 years old? I am serious here. You make some very bizarre statements & questions that anyone with even the most basic knowledge and common sense can easily answer.
    Because you know the context in which he was speaking right? As if Aristotle didn't know about space.
    I saw your mental/verbal acrobatics in response to Illen, trying to "fix" the implications of what you admitted to him. Too bad they are hardly convincing. You seem to indeed be aware of the fact that the Stone CANNOT be made with "one matter only", it's just that you seem to enjoy being purposefully obtuse to try to annoy others.
    "Fix" the implications...??? "It's not the spoon that bends Neo", it's your mindset. This is what needs fixing.

People do not need to actually see a vacuum to THEORETICALLY envision one. People have been using their imagination for a very long time to speculate about nature and its workings. Aristotle and his predecessors had no problem IMAGINING a vacuum. But Aristotle rejected it as being possible. Really, man, how old are you? 5 years old? I am serious here. You make some very bizarre statements & questions that anyone with even the most basic knowledge and common sense can easily answer.
    Do you see what you've done to yourself now?
    I saw your mental/verbal acrobatics in response to Illen, trying to "fix" the implications of what you admitted to him. Too bad they are hardly convincing. You seem to indeed be aware of the fact that the Stone CANNOT be made with "one matter only", it's just that you seem to enjoy being purposefully obtuse to try to annoy others.
    ... How you call me obtuse?
    The "folly" here is all yours (AGAIN!) for obviously not having understood what the apparatus being described by French is for. Once again I have to explain obvious things to you.
    Not to mention again how the obvious is above you.
    And there is nothing remotely "alchemical" about John French's text. He shows no interest whatsoever in the Stone and transmutation. He was simply a spagyrical doctor. He was no more an "alchemist" than Glaser or Lemery.
    Lol! Lol! Lol!
    As I've said, the obvious is above you. I would have liked to remain thoroughly tactful, but one reaps what one sows. You're not that smart JDP. You are highly presumptive in your arguments . You are biased beyond comprehension. You believe your own speculations. Fortunately, the one thing that's certain in all of this, is that change is inevitable. It might begin with you
    My Regards,

Chasm369

@ Andro

THE FIRST MATTER

(No Author or Date)

When we turn our thoughts to the preparation of the Universal Matter, the highest Art of the Wise, in which is concentrated all the strength of heaven and earth, we must know that it is in all things, know what the universal Subject is, and how it is constituted; the fire of nature in its two diverse properties, the corporeal and the universal working power, which the philosophers call the First Matter. The foundation being the Mercury of the Wise also called the universal matter. But the Wise know that it cannot now be found in the world as One Thing, in which the 2 central fires of nature remain limited and corporeal. Therefore they say, that whoever works through One Thing errs and does not follow the Art, but he who knows the Universal Matter has the true Wisdom, and for him the door of Wisdom stands open.
    I have repeatedly mentioned the term Acroamatic Cypher. Without an understanding of this term, I'm sorry, but you cannot read these texts, unless you possess a peculiar ability. I appear to possess this ability.
    You are using emphasis to support a particular viewpoint, but you're missing what is NOT actually being said. It's literary magic...legerdemots (my phrase...I think?)
    For all that this paragraph says about the two matters, You're left to contemplate what octave...(yes octave), is being spoken of. You need a background in the old Pythagorean system to understand the occult. As Zoas23 is aware, genealogy is important. You emphasize two things but are uncertain which two things and from where they come. As such, your logic is limited. The true meaning of this paragraph lies in the sense which Gishlain and Zoas23 touched upon. The symbol of the ouroborus tells us much. The speech of the alchemists is circular. Were I to write a story around the circumference of a clock, where would one begin, there being no capital and period? I can start to read from different hours but only the correct hour will make sense.
    This is not the best analogy, but it's easy to get the sense of what I'm saying.
    If you don't find these two matters, one is lost. This is a good time to mention the Tetractys. Look at its structure. It's the root of evolution.
    From one comes two. Monad divides into Duad. Yin and Yang. God and Man is the same separation as described in your post. You are assumed to be a Son of Wisdom having a foundation in the knowledge of old. But often, this isn't the case. JDP, is modern in view and forsakes the wisdom of old. This is fatal.
    In short, this post doesn't support the assumption that it's meant to imply. Viz, that two matters are ultimately required. They do come from somewhere though, by some means. I've done my best to illuminate this but the leap hasn't been made. In fact, the actions that came into play that prevented further illumination is amazing to me. A thread was locked for all of the wrong reasons.

Blog Entries
    You are using emphasis to support a particular viewpoint
    Here is the text again, without any emphasis, so that everyone can interpret it according to their own innerstanding:

THE FIRST MATTER

(No Author or Date)

What God has created is found in the three Kingdoms, so we must earnestly look for this Universal Matter in them, and it is easy to find if we think in which creation the cleanest and purest Light of Nature of God can be found.

The Universal Subject is the most noble of God's Creation, in which God Himself burns for love.

When we look around in the whole of nature, we see that Man is God's most excellent work, for all creatures belong to the natural and perishable world, but Man stands in a two-fold position, for he is natural and also supernatural, held dearest by God and created over all things.

Though his body is perishable through the Fall by corruption and participating in it, yet his soul is born of God, supernatural and imperishable, for the Spirit of God has his place and home in him, and does not belong to the great world, but Eternity.

Therefore Basilius Valentinus says: Man is through his soul a divine entity, even though his outward body perishes even as the animals, but man can overcome this natural being through the Q.E. for he is the Centrum Centrorum and the Centrum Concentratum, as the small world is called, and Basilius says further, everything is found in the small that is found in the great one, namely heaven and earth, the elements and all that is in the Firmament.

We see too that the Wise, not without reason, say, "In you lies the most precious of all precious things, in man is found all the strength of heaven and earth". The Philosophers say, "Take on the Art, where Nature leaves off", for they wish people to understand Creation and how Creation came about. The philosophers after their magician Stilo say: This Universal Matter is the philosophic Mercury from which all things are taken and held, and man being the Centrum Centrorum understands the properties of all Creatures, and has the powers of the three Kingdoms of the lower world in triplicate in himself. He must realize that the beginning of the Light of Nature can be found in himself, for he is grounded in the eternal nature.

In order that we should not be confused by the various names of the Prima Materia, Sendivogious warns us truly that we must comprehend the hidden meaning, not simply the outward words, for that is their intention. Where Nature finishes in the Metallic kingdom and in our eyes has a substantial body, there we must start our Art. The Mercury of the Wise must necessarily be taken from man, as Riplaus shows when he writes, Man is the noblest of all creatures in the false creation, and in him are the four elements, one in another, which become one working, and in the mercurial family are many materials, which through the Art can be drawn out.

As the two central fires of nature lie in the Microcosmo, so are they also in the Macrocosmo, and in specie in the Spiritual fire. In the fire is an Astral Spirit, as a subtle Nitre and is endowed with a living soul, which is the Archaus of the Motor Universalis, that is in all things and whichopens its most inner Centrum and pours into it a fermenting property through which life awakens, and is brought to further use: Without this astral spirit the two corporeal fires are dead and not working, but when they are opened by the fermenting property they are made volatile, and all life awakens. Nothing can exist without this astral Spirit which is the life of all things, and in Alchemie nothing new can be born without it, or be placed in the Plusquam perfection, for the Spirit alone gives life to all.

As all creatures have it for their beginning and in God's order are held by it and nourished, so it is no stranger to any creature, for though it is Spirit, yet it can be in a body. Hermes says: The upper open Spirit is most hidden in the earth. Work the upper open Spirit with the lower secret one, so will the living one awaken the dead, and be to it as a Well of Life and work great wonders.

The Holy Spirit is indeed the agent which awakens and subtilizes the two corporeal central fires. When these two are brought to full perfection and their Universal Working power made substantial, the philosophical saying is justified: "He who makes the volatile fixed, and the fixed volatile, understands the working of our Universal and Particular Recipe".

This is confirmed by Basilius in his Tract on Universal and Particular Things when he writes: "The Universal is the most precious thing of the Wisdom, and the three properties are one property, and is found and drawn out from one Property from which all metals can be made into One, and is the true Spirit Mercury and Anima Sulphur, which cleanses the holy salt, sealed under one heaven, living in one body and is the Dragon and the Eagle. The King and the Lion is the Spirit and the Light Word of Spirit, the body of the Sun colour becoming a medicine. Finally all three principles are one expression in the Love of God.

This Universality of the Stone is confirmed by the many born from the universal centre. Other Recipes are only used in particular instances and must be so observed.

That the Universal Materia lies only in the Microcosms is further shewn by Basilius in Tr. de Microcosmo. The natural means and remedy is found in the Microcosmos, metals and minerals follow after, and if one cannot find out the remedy, place one similar upon another similar and healing will result. It is also said, though it may be easy to make the Stone or Lapidum it is far harder to fully comprehend it. All Philosophers including Adam, Solomon, Hermes and Theophrastus, be they ever so wise, recognize this difficulty. Dionysius Zacharias also realizes that God placed a Divine working power in the Universal Stone.

The Wise always mention the necessity of knowing how to prepare their Mercury in their writings, for they say "Our Spirit which enlivens the bodies of metals is a natural fire, declared openly by man or revealed by God's Spirit". Flamellus, fearing to offend God, did not wish to disclose the Key to the portals of nature, by turning over the lowest earth to the highest heaven. Sendivogius says: "Though in a sense much is said openly, nevertheless, the extraction of our salt or Mercury Sophici and that which bridges them over our water, is never openly mentioned but only revealed by God."

When the philosophers mention their salt or mercury, their WATER is simply a matter of speech. They speak of their water as a dry water which does not cleanse the hand. What they really mean by this is that the salt is the Key to the Art, for in the SALT lies the opening of all things, and in such lies the Universal Menstruum of the white Mercury. Of this Mercury the philosophers say: It is a Stone and yet not a Stone, when a fiery air salt goes into all bodies and opens them. It is a Stone however when it opens and unites with the body, then it belongs to the fiery grade of nature, may become dry and be processed. Then is the white mercury a salt which has no resemblance to the ordinary salt, but which has an Alkali and an Astringent substance, of which Philaletha says, "Our mercury is to be found nowhere over the earth, but it is a Son which is given to us by a wonderful Art".

Its beginning is partly heavenly, partly false, for it must give birth to a Light Spirit, in it are two central spiritual fires, these at the beginning of all Procreation covered over the waters, acting according to God's Hand, and until a certain hour gave all creatures nourishment and multiplicity. It is false however through its false being, overcomes love and its existence and thereby partakes of both the lower and higher powers. From its heavenly source it draws all the powers of heaven, and lives in the Air, therefore called the Sea of the Wise, and Basilius again says, The Recipe of all metals is a heavenly volatile watery spirit, which is contained in the AIR and in the earthy kingdom and WATER, seeks its natural home and the air is the secret and hidden earth, which hovers over our heads and from which through the elementary environments is drawn our white Nitre. Paracelsus writes of this, "One must know the anatomy of the living body, and from it draw the Essence (without hurting the body) from which all the wonders of the world can be produced". This would be the great secret of the Adepts which they keep concealed, and Paracelsus shows that the two central fires should not be taken roughly from people but gently when overflowing of itself.

Ur in Caltha has in it the cold central fire which stands in its noble salt, and that is our Magnet, Philaletha calling it Moon and Copper. In the red that is in the Stercus Adamish earth is the Electrum minerale immaturum, the Electrum electissimum, the secret white saturnine minera, still in its water, and in whose strength all metals lie hidden, and from which can come forth minerals like Antimony, Iron, solis Gold, the sulphur of the philosophic mars, iron and the gold in which the warm central fire or our acidic sulphur, through which our astral mercury receives it. For this sulphur is the clearest fire and greatest Balm of Nature.

Sendivogius warns us that we should not be led astray by these above mentioned minerals, for he says: "One must not look for the warm central fire in the ordinary metals of common man, for the gold in ordinary mortals is dead, but ours is alive and has a spirit, it is this which one must take."

This upper astral spirit Sendivogius calls our Water or Dew, from which our Nitre is drawn, the mother of the centrum solis and moon. Hermes says: The sun is its father, the Moon its mother, the wind carries it in its belly. It is called by many names, the Subjectum, Hyle, the First Matter of the world, for this Spirit is the same light Power hovering in the beginning over the water, the Archaus, the first working nature or Beginning of all things.

Protheus also, for he takes all manner of creatures to himself. The Saturnian Spirit, for he brings all things before us. This astral spirit through its incessant working and motion imparts its strength to the lower world. For if this spirit ceased for a moment, then would all creatures die and decay.

God the Almighty Creator of Heaven
    The earth lives in Light
    The Light in Spirit
    The Spirit in Salt
    The Salt in the Fire
    The Air in Man
    The Man makes visible the Air and Spirit.

Oh single eternal Heavenly and true Life, the salt and tree Jesus Christ! This fruit, Apocaly xxll v. 2. which leads and holds us in eternal life, I pray you that we may confound the false Tree of Life, Gen. 2. v. 9:13 & 22. and hand over the Walls of Paradise these pages of prose. May we in this life reach our goal for the refreshment of our mortal bodies, to the confounding of death by practicing the true knowledge and working of our Art.

AMEN

----------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 09-11-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto alchemist View Post
    The following passages have been taken directly from the prefaces of the book
    "The Art of Distillation" by John French:

Not only is this book an alchemy text, it is probably the most descriptive text
    in the entire alchemy corpus. Even John French himself asserts the completeness
    when he says that he identifies the starting substance but only leaves one thing
    out of the process:

I'm sorry to say JDP, that on your assertion 'there is nothing remotely "alchemical" about John French's text' you are absolutely wrong.
    OK, I stand corrected about French not having an interest at all in alchemy, the quotations about the "Diana" or "Mercury of the Philosophers" shows that he did have an interest in the subject. But his "Art of Distillation" book still has nothing that can really be called "alchemical" in it, it's just a collection of operations in what alchemists often called "vulgar chymistry". Also in the quotation that you yourself gave, he says that he desires to keep something secret (presuming that whatever this was that he so desired to keep silent about was really connected to alchemy and its operations.) Furthermore, he has a very lose definition of "alchemy", as it often happened in many writers after Paracelsus, who sometimes liberally applied the name "alchemy" to things that had hardly anything to do with the making of the Stone but to the preparation of medicines of all kinds (what today would more properly be labelled "pharmaceutical chemistry".) I do not even accept as "alchemical" the texts of writers like Glauber (one writer that John French sometimes obviously plagiarized), Becher or Kunckel, and these guys often wrote about things which touch much closer to topics that might more properly have a relation with alchemy, so needless to say French's "Art of Distillation" is even further removed from the subject. It's really just a collection of spagyrical operations. In French's mind somehow the operations he presents might have some relation to alchemy, but in reality they hardly do so. All the operations he describes are hardly "unknown" or "secrets" of any kind, and I can't remember even one operation he describes in that book that had not already been described in some previous "chymical" work. In addition, some of the processes he presents are totally bogus and French very obviously never even bothered to test them himself, otherwise he would have known how phony they are. Just look at that ridiculous "To turn mercury into a water by itself" process as a good example of this:

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/jfren_3.html

This blatant phony claim was nicely debunked later on by chemists like Hales and Wilson, who took the precautions necessary to eliminate any residual humidity in either the mercury, the vessels and/or the lutes used for testing the claim. Hales actually tested it by using an iron retort made from a gun-barrel, to make absolutely sure that no water could find its way inside. Needless to say, no such "water" from mercury was obtained. It is total baloney. Unfortunately, the "chymical" literature of the 16th-18th century is full of such absurd blatantly phony claims. I strongly suspect that this was done on purpose by many chymists in order to mislead and make what they saw as "unworthy" people waste their time and money in such phony procedures. I have very good reasons to believe this, specially from the fact that some of the chymists who promoted these blatantly ridiculous false processes also occasionally write truthful ones too, which shows that they were indeed very good observers and experimenters whenever they wanted to be and would obviously have never been fooled themselves by such ridiculous claims as the one referred to above, yet you constantly find this blatant contradiction in their texts; a chaotic mixture of many false processes with the occasional truthful one thrown in.

In conclusion: French's very liberal use of the word "alchemy" is hardly acceptable, it is strongly influenced by the spagyrical/chymical literature of authors like Paracelsus (who in one of his authentic texts even openly admits that he did not know how to make the Stone) and Glauber (who in several places in his works openly admits that he did not know how to make the Stone either), none of whom were really "alchemists" either. All these "chymists" can only be recognized as having a general interest in alchemy, but they themselves were hardly "alchemists" and did not know how to make the Stone. They fall under the category of writers that Macquer later on labelled as "not alchemists" but who "give more or less attention to these subjects".

+ Reply to Thread