Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Philosopher's Matter

oops, sorry leo.
    my fault.

in my very hypothetical view of philosophical sublimation, by which we attain ph. mercury, two actors should come into play. An earth (sulphur) and a water (universal solvent). during blackness the watery spirit dissolve and volatilize the fixed earth, while at the same time it coagulates itself, in solidifying and merging with the spiritualized earth, in a newborn substance that floats on the compost. the hermafrodite baby has come to life. then he must be kept alive, breeded etc.

with humility
    t

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teofrast40 View Post
    In my very hypothetical view of philosophical sublimation, by which we attain ph. mercury, two actors should come into play. An earth (sulphur) and a water (universal solvent). during blackness the watery spirit dissolve and volatilize the fixed earth, while at the same time it coagulates itself, in solidifying and merging with the spiritualized earth, in a newborn substance that floats on the compost. the hermafrodite baby has come to life. then he must be kept alive, breeded etc.
    In my personal experience:

Both Salt and Sulphur are contained in the initial Mercurial Water in a dualistically balanced state.

The Salt fixes the Sulphur which in turn volatilizes the Salt. When properly married by philosophical circulation, the superfluous Water gradually evaporates and eventually, with the proper nourishment, leaves the Non-Dualistically Balanced, fixed, fusible and married to itself Androgynous Mercury at the bottom of the flask.

The 'floating on the compost' bit comes from the fact that sometimes not all the Matter is made fixed and married to itself, but only the more upper parts of the Matter (the parts more/better exposed to the Fire). This appears to be a common issue resulting from a deficient Vessel design and the Matter not being spread out thinly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by teofrast40 View Post
    In my very hypothetical view [...]
    A practical and experience-based view can be a very valuable addition to the hypothetical one
    Last edited by Andro; 03-09-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleilius View Post
    Philosopher's of the animal & vegetable kingdom, what say you on this issue? Is not our matter only found in the mineral and metallic kingdoms?
    I cannot say that our matter is found only in the mineral kingdom, though many
    authors speak of this. I'm not disagreeing with them.
    There's just too much potential in the ammonias found in dew, blood, urine,
    feces, sea salts... and too much evidence of paths which utilise these items and
    produce transmuting stones. They may not be THE stone, but I don't care. If it
    heals humans and metals (plants and animals too), what else do I want?

sol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleilius View Post
    Now, the next question we should ask ourselves is quite simple: what is the philosopher's matter? It is the million dollar question.
    Are you offering?

Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    Are you offering?
    Hi Solomon Levi!

I will cite Fulcanelli on this very issue.

Its traditional name, the stone of the philosophers, is descriptive enough of the body to serve as a useful basis for its identification. It is, indeed, genuinely a stone, for, out of the mine, it shows the external characteristics common to all ores. It is the chaos of the sages, in which the four elements are contained, but in a confused, disorganized manner. It is our old man and the father of metals which owe their origin to it, as it represents the first earthly metallic manifestation. It is our arsenic, cadmia, antimony, blende, galena, cinnabar, tutia, tartar, etc. All ores, through the hermetic voice, rendered homage to it with their name. It is still called black dragon covered with scales, venomous serpent, daughter of Saturn, and "the most beloved of its children". This primal substance has seen its evolution interrupted by the interposition of a filthy combustible sulphur, which coats its pure mercury, holds it back, and coagulates it. And, though it is entirely volatile, this primitive mercury, materialized by the drying action of the arsenical sulphur, takes the shape of a solid, black, dense, fibrous, brittle, crushable mass rendered, by its lack of utility, vile, abject, and despicable in the eyes of man, Yet, in this subject --- poor relative of the metal family --- the enlightened artist finds everything that he needs to begin and perfect his Great Work, since it is present, say the authors, at the beginning, the middle, and the end of the Work. Therefore the Ancients have compared it to the Chaos of Creation, where elements and principles, the darkness and the light, were on and the other confounded, intermixed, and unable to mutually interact. For this reason they symbolically depicted their matter in its first being as the image of the world which contained in itself the materials of our hermetic globe (1), or microcosm, assembled without order, without form, without rhythm or measure. - Fulcanelli - Dwellings of the Philosophers
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleilius
    Certainly, the Stone is one matter, composed of three principles, and the four elements. The prima materia is a single matter, composed of three principles, and contains the four elements. It is not able to become the Stone because of its crude nature. This is where nature halts, and the work of the alchemist begins. In the alchemist lies the redemption, and perfection of this matter.

Here's something else for all of you to throw into your crucible:

Our globe, reflection and mirror of the microcosm, is therefore nothing but a small part of the primordial Chaos, destined by divine will for elementary renewal in the three kingdoms, but which sets of mysterious circumstances have oriented and directed toward the mineral kingdom. Thus given form and specified, subjected to the laws ruling the evolution and the progression of minerals, this chaos, which has become a body, contains in a confused manner the purest seed and the closest substance there is to minerals and metals. The philosopher’s matter is therefore of mineral and metallic origin. Hence, one must only seek it in the mineral and metallic root, which, says, Basil Valentine in the book, The Twelve Keys, was reserved by the Creator and intended only for the generation of metals. Consequently, anyone who seeks the sacred stone of the philosophers with the hope of encountering this little world in substances alien to the mineral and metallic kingdoms, will never reach his goals. To turn the apprentice away from the path of error the ancient authors teach him to always follow nature. Because nature only acts within its own appropriate species, only develops and perfects itself within itself and by itself, free from any heterogeneous thing occurring to hinder its progress or to oppose the effects of its generating power.

Instead of taking paragraphs out of context to suit our views why don't we post the whole excerpt:

It becomes clearly evident from the preceding considerations, that the philosopher's stone or universal Medicine, in spite of its undeniable metallic origin, is not uniquely made from metallic matter. If it were otherwise, and if one had to compose it only with metals, it would remain subjected to the conditions ruling mineral nature and it would have no need to be fermented to operate transmutation. Furthermore, the fundamental axiom which teaches that bodies have no action on bodies would be false and paradoxical. Take the time and trouble to experiment, and you will recognize that metals have no action on other metals. Be they brought to the state of salts or ashes, or glasses, or colloids, they will always retain their nature throughout trials and, in the process of reduction, they will separate without losing their specific qualities.

Only the metallic spirits posses the privilege to alter, modify and denature metallic bodies. They are the true instigators of all the physical metamorphoses that can be observed here. But since these tenuous, extremely subtle and volatile spirits need a vehicle, an envelope capable of holding them back; since this matter must be very pure -- to allow the spirit to remain there -- and very fixed so as to prevent its volatilization; since it must remain fusible in order to promote ingress; since it is essential that it be absolutely resistant to reducing agents, we may easily understand that this matter cannot be searched for in the sole category of metals. That is why Basil Valentine recommends that we take the spirit out of the metallic root and Bernard of Trevisan forbids the use of metals, minerals, and their salts in the construction of the body. The reason for it is simple and self-explanatory.
    (By Valentine recommending that we take the spirit out of the metallic root he does not mean to take it from a metal or mineral but from the root of what produces the mineral or metal, chiefly the gur where the metals have their roots )
    If the stone were made up of a metallic body and a spirit fixed on this body, the latter acting on the former as if it were of the same species, the whole would take the characteristic form of a metal. We could, in this case, obtain gold or silver or even an unknown metal but nothing more. This is what alchemists have always done, because they did not know the universality and the nature of the agent which they were looking for. But what we ask for, along with all the philosophers, is not the union of a metallic body with a metallic spirit, but rather the condensation, the agglomeration of this spirit into a coherent, tenacious and refractory envelope, capable of coating it, impregnating all its parts and guaranteeing it in an efficacious protection. This soul, spirit, or fire assembled, concentrated and coagulated in the purest, the most resistant and the most perfect of earthly matters, we call it our stone. And we can certify that any undertaking which does not have this spirit for guide and this matter for basis will never lead to the proposed objective."

-Fulcanelli

You should meditate on what he means by the "metallic root" and metalline spirits. Metals can only be animated with living spirits, this you must find in the plant or animal kingdom and unite fume with fume.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRetilus View Post
    Instead of taking paragraphs out of context to suit our views why don't we post the whole excerpt:

It becomes clearly evident from the preceding considerations, that the philosopher's stone or universal Medicine, in spite of its undeniable metallic origin, is not uniquely made from metallic matter. If it were otherwise, and if one had to compose it only with metals, it would remain subjected to the conditions ruling mineral nature and it would have no need to be fermented to operate transmutation. Furthermore, the fundamental axiom which teaches that bodies have no action on bodies would be false and paradoxical. Take the time and trouble to experiment, and you will recognize that metals have no action on other metals. Be they brought to the state of salts or ashes, or glasses, or colloids, they will always retain their nature throughout trials and, in the process of reduction, they will separate without losing their specific qualities.

Only the metallic spirits posses the privilege to alter, modify and denature metallic bodies. They are the true instigators of all the physical metamorphoses that can be observed here. But since these tenuous, extremely subtle and volatile spirits need a vehicle, an envelope capable of holding them back; since this matter must be very pure -- to allow the spirit to remain there -- and very fixed so as to prevent its volatilization; since it must remain fusible in order to promote ingress; since it is essential that it be absolutely resistant to reducing agents, we may easily understand that this matter cannot be searched for in the sole category of metals. That is why Basil Valentine recommends that we take the spirit out of the metallic root and Bernard of Trevisan forbids the use of metals, minerals, and their salts in the construction of the body. The reason for it is simple and self-explanatory.
    (By Valentine recommending that we take the spirit out of the metallic root he does not mean to take it from a metal or mineral but from the root of what produces the mineral or metal, chiefly the gur where the metals have their roots )
    If the stone were made up of a metallic body and a spirit fixed on this body, the latter acting on the former as if it were of the same species, the whole would take the characteristic form of a metal. We could, in this case, obtain gold or silver or even an unknown metal but nothing more. This is what alchemists have always done, because they did not know the universality and the nature of the agent which they were looking for. But what we ask for, along with all the philosophers, is not the union of a metallic body with a metallic spirit, but rather the condensation, the agglomeration of this spirit into a coherent, tenacious and refractory envelope, capable of coating it, impregnating all its parts and guaranteeing it in an efficacious protection. This soul, spirit, or fire assembled, concentrated and coagulated in the purest, the most resistant and the most perfect of earthly matters, we call it our stone. And we can certify that any undertaking which does not have this spirit for guide and this matter for basis will never lead to the proposed objective."

-Fulcanelli

You should meditate on what he means by the "metallic root" and metalline spirits. Metals can only be animated with living spirits, this you must find in the plant or animal kingdom and unite fume with fume.
    You, sir, are taking this out of context.

Let me reiterate:

The philosopher’s matter is therefore of mineral and metallic origin. Hence, one must only seek it in the mineral and metallic root, which, says, Basil Valentine in the book, The Twelve Keys, was reserved by the Creator and intended only for the generation of metals. Consequently, anyone who seeks the sacred stone of the philosophers with the hope of encountering this little world in substances alien to the mineral and metallic kingdoms, will never reach his goals.
    That is why Basil Valentine recommends that we take the spirit out of the metallic root and Bernard of Trevisan forbids the use of metals, minerals, and their salts in the construction of the body. The reason for it is simple and self-explanatory.
    Most importantly:

Only the metallic spirits posses the privilege to alter, modify and denature metallic bodies.
    Last edited by Aleilius; 03-23-2010 at 04:39 AM.

With all this being said, there is a certain schism that exists between these texts/perspectives. I understand the schism, and understand where the line is drawn, but do you?

You may rant, and rave all you want, but that doesn't make you right, nor does it make me wrong. There is confusion that exists in this art, and this confusion is there for a very specific reason. Does this confusion exist to keep me from my goal, or does the confusion exist to keep you from your goal? I say not, nor would it be appropriate of me.

However, it has always puzzled me, but ever since I've started posting on this forum again, I've detected a certain tone in your posts towards me. Why is that?
    Last edited by Aleilius; 03-23-2010 at 05:02 AM.

All life, whether animal or vegetable, requires a metal of some sort. Without this metal, life would not exist. Plan and simple!

With humans, we have iron in heme. With vegetables, we have magnesium. These are metals, are they not? They are at the very root of our being. To understand this is very important.

All life is of a metallic origin. However, this does not mean they are solely metallic.

+ Reply to Thread