Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: The LAB

Quote Originally Posted by theFool View Post
    This type of battery is supposed to have a lifetime of 30 years and an excellent duarability in low temperatures. I 've been reading about people using them in off grid systems. Also they are used by the military. Unfortunately, their price can be more than 5 times higher compared to lead acid batteries but you buy them once.
    Sounds worth it to me.
    AGM batteries are around 3x price of regular flooded lead acid.
    But they don't sound even 1/3 as good as these ni/fe cells.
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into it for my future homestead.
    I'm in an area very conducive to water wheels...which are another means of 24/7 on-demand power without storage.
    Last edited by Dendritic Xylem; 09-14-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendritic Xylem View Post
    You can go scouting for properties and scan the ground for deep cave systems.
    If you are looking in an area that is known for caves, eventually you can find a property with something deep.
    Dig to that void so that you won't have to create your own void. It's a lot of work...

Of course it would take a very large effort and there's a good chance that you will run into unmanageable problems and never find a good spot for the project. But if you can make it work....you could make a very significant difference in the World that lasts centuries rather than a few short decades.
    Or you could start a breakaway civilization.
    If you like that idea, I can say that my uncle did it.
    He has a strange story: he was diagnosed with a cancer when he was around 30 years old, he was an Architect... he investigated "alternative" cures for cancer and allegedly he cured his cancer with a special diet (I think it was vegetarian + some fish).

Anyway, after he healed his cancer, he sold everything he had and moved to Brazil and bought a huge abandoned mine in a small town, a very poor town. He really paid almost nothing for it, because it had no value... and he built a FANTASTIC house there. He even had a natural cascade inside his house.

The town was very poor and the people were starving... so he organized them and taught them the Terrace System of Cultivation, so the whole town (some 300 persons) built a huge Terrace System and suddenly there was food for everyone and the starving was over. It worked as a "communist" project, though without any "marxist" implications. He also convinced the whole town to follow the diet he was following (I have to say that he had some sort of "messianic complex" and he was respected in his town as if he was the living God walking among the mortals... and I think he believed such thing himself too).

Anyway... he managed to build a house in a cave, I have never seen any other house which was as beautiful as his house. He also changed the whole economy of the town by teaching better ways of natural cultivation and a non-marxist "communist" system of thinking.

Sadly his distrust for modern medicine and the belief that his diet was able to cure any disease made him die very young (probably a silly bacteria killed him, I am not sure. He died when he was around 50 years old)... but, still, he is a great example of how to live "outside of the system".

BTW: Caves are often quite humid... so if you have serious plans of doing such thing, have in mind that they are NOT the best place to store books (I mean, if you are seriously in love with books). Other than that, if you know the basics of Architecture, you can build with almost no money (though with a lot of effort) a Mansion that would make the house of Donald Trump or Bill Gates look cheap and stupid.

What a wonderful adventure...thank you for sharing zoas!
    Definitely need dehumidifiers running 24/7 in the caves around here.
    Overunity device would really come in handy.

I'd really like to know the name of the Brazilian town if you ever remember or find out.
    It would be interesting if there are remnants of your uncles 'system' there today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theFool View Post
    If this system had to be able to run into the winter too, extra solar panels would be required (double) and bigger battery bank in order to get it through the rainy days (must be able to last for 3 days at least).
    What you say is suited to your needs based on your location in the world, alas my own current location in the world has practically no sunlight for almost 4 months... so surplus would for me not happen. Although I could add some sort of wind power to my roof. We got plenty of that, and those are fairly easy to make.

Regardless whatever problems might arise from solar panels, in the end they are never a bad investment. Go for it.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendritic Xylem View Post
    What a wonderful adventure...thank you for sharing zoas!
    Definitely need dehumidifiers running 24/7 in the caves around here.
    Overunity device would really come in handy.

I'd really like to know the name of the Brazilian town if you ever remember or find out.
    It would be interesting if there are remnants of your uncles 'system' there today.
    I don't really remember the name of the town, but I will ask my parents about it. They may not remember the name of the town either, but they will know for sure in which State of Brazil it is located and if it was in the north, south, east or west of such State. He had a wife, so maybe she still lives there. If not, then maybe somebody else is living there, because it was definitely the "best house" of the town and literally "as solid as rock".

Gonna ask my parents about it later. If they remember the name of the town, then maybe it would be possible to "see" it using google Earth. There's several photos of his house at my parents house, but I would have to dive into a large mass of photos (they have some 6 huge boxes filled with photos which are not organized).

He was a funny man, very mystic, sometimes TOO mystic. His name was Raul. When I was around 14 years old, he painted for me my "real identification card"... which was a cardboard with the size of a normal ID card, but painted by him... and it stated that I was a member of "The Club of the Unknown Philosophers". I was used to his oddities, so I liked it (I sadly lost it). Several years later, I was amazed when I found out that Louis Claude de Saint Martin used to call himself an "unknown philosopher" (but I have no idea if my uncle was familiar with his works or not).

Anyway, he is the greatest example I know of someone who had a "normal life" and then decided to do what Tim Leary used to call "drop out" (of the system) and lived a "natural life" under his own rules. I don't know if I would do what he did... but his example showed me that it's perfectly possible (and even easy) to do it... of course, if that's what you want to do (my weird confession, I happen to live in the city which has BOTH more bookstores and theaters per capita... and I am so used to such thing, that I would probably feel sad if I am not surrounded by bookstores and theaters... but that's just me).

Blog Entries
    It requires some skill but you can drop out and still stay in society. Not saying one should, but it is not black and white. Also depends on the society of course.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    It requires some skill but you can drop out and still stay in society. Not saying one should, but it is not black and white. Also depends on the society of course.
    Of course, and that's honestly the option I prefer (shame on me, but I would not stand to live outside of a big city which offers a wide cultural diversity and the opportunity to be in touch with experimental art... I need museums, alternative cinemas, theaters with experimental plays, seeing live bands playing the craziest music possible, bookstores with rare books... I have this spirit and if I had to live, say, in the middle of the Amazon Jungle, I would probably go crazy... yeah, I can have vacations there, but staying there for my whole life would be VERY depressing for me. Probably this isn't a good trait, but that's how I am).

There are other ways to "DROP OUT" without becoming a hermit in the middle of the Jungle. Well, my uncle Raul did it his way and went to live in a small town, inside a cave, in Brazil... He was an average architect, and suddenly he was a man living from a communal plantation that he created with the whole of the town.

Another friend, Jean... He lived in the glamorous city of Paris and was somehow famous in the French "occult scene", especially among those who like Aleister Crowley. He went to Bolivia to have vacations there and he faced the Shamanic culture of Bolivia and something interesting happened in his mind. He thought: "What the hell am I doing in Paris? What can Aleister Crowley offer me that the Cholas* don't know? Isn't this one the biggest Shamanic culture in the whole world?". He returned to Paris... and after some months I received a fantastic e-mail from him. His mail mostly said: "Fuck Crowley, Fuck Paris, Fuck the European occult scene... I am moving to the most amazing shamanic culture in the whole world and I am the happiest man on Earth!".

And this is how Jean lives since some 15 years ago (he is, of course, the "European looking" one in the video), very happy to be in Bolivia and living there among the Shamans, without any kind of European arrogance that makes his say: "I know better than you"... but learning from them and mostly being VERY happy.

I don't know why I am quoting Leary so much, because he's not really one of my favorite authors, but I'll use his famous phrase: "you can be anyone this time around".

An architect who lives in a huge city can end up living in a small town inside a cave and building a communitarian plantation and an alternative economy.
    An occultist from Paris can end up moving to the zone of Bolivia where the Shamanic Culture is alive and kicking and change the glamour of Paris for the enchanted mountains of the Pachamama.

Home is where the heart is... and "you can be anyone this time around" is a reality.
    And since Jean looks to me like the identical young twin of William Burroughs, I'll quote my favorite phrase of Naked Lunch: "Hustlers of the world, there is one Mark you cannot beat: The Mark Inside."

*Cholas = the name of the female descendants of the aborigines of Bolivia.

+ Reply to Thread