Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The LAB

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    'Present' as in saying that you would actually take action in this direction and live this out in 'real' life?

Or just present as in 'I like the concept, but I'm not sure it is for me'...
    Androgynus, my two feet are firmly planted in ambivalence currently. I've been dipping my toes in community living since my teenage years- coming together for sometimes five years at a time with a group of like minded people and my life is richer for those experiences. Maturity is a slippery concept. I've seen aged monastics who have been committed most of their lives to learning how to be reasonable, awake beings go into complete meltdowns about really minor issues. Neurosis is a powerful force in the human condition. I doubt anyone escapes it.

For me, what begins to tip the scale in the commitment to work with others in a community is the desire to have children. I think a child is much better off with a village of influences than just a nuclear family. Of course any off the grid situation is much easier with a group of people to overcome obstacles. I've been setting the stage most of my adult life for this experience to manifest- I feel like it is just a matter of time before the vision will coalesce into praxis. I'm holding on to my ambivalence though- I feel like it is grounding.

I believe this is relevant, though potentially somewhat tangential- I'm not sure if everyone has heard of Jack Layton, the Canadian NDP head of the opposition who just died of cancer. There is an air of loss in Canada currently- he was an amazing man and societal visionary. Believing he didn't have much time left he wrote an inspiring letter addressing the Canadian people: http://www.ctv.ca/generic/WebSpecial...-Layton-EN.pdf

This photo of him I find both beautiful and hilarious:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us
    be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Well in short the concept of the Factory or the Academy has died away, or never been done properly. There needs to be artists and scientists working together in an environment that if free of all the obligations/pressures of reality.

What is needed?

- Artists
    - Scientists
    - Building
    - And the will to want to live there in a sort of community where it is also possible to be a hermit

In the beginning there will be costs, but the aim is to be self-sustained and that works of art and inventions generate money to the Lab so its residents don't need to worry about paying rent, buying food or cleaning the floor.

A lot of the logistics has already been done... the link I've provided is the tip of an iceberg just to get people interested. This concept has been in the making since 1998... I think the Lab will happen digitally first and then later in reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_bead_game Castalia in the re-marking?

Blog Entries
    While 'opinionating' and philosophizing around this concept is part of the equation (I suppose) - What I am really looking for is a few INDIVIDUALS (no matter WHERE on the globe) who are genuinely intent on making this vision a manifest reality, NOT JUST TALK ABOUT IT. We would like to form a network of such individuals who are ACTIVELY moving (or wish to move) towards living some variation of the 'Lab' concept, so we can exchange information, contacts, ideas - whatever is needed to help make this happen physically.

There may not be many of you out there, but if you're there - please come forward

I already have my thing going in my area of the world (me and a few friends), looking to move closer towards independence from grid & society in general, while researching our areas of interest and practicing our arts and crafts. As I said before, I've been leading this kind of 'lifestyle' for a few years now, and it is certainly do-able.

I am NOT looking for you to join our group () ! ! !

I am looking for people who share this vision (and maybe even already live it - or at least have their own like-minded groups), for the sake of networking and information exchange.

If you are among those - I would love to hear from you

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    We would like to form a network of such individuals who are ACTIVELY moving (or wish to move) towards living some variation of the 'Lab' concept, so we can exchange information, contacts, ideas - whatever is needed to help make this happen physically.

There may not be many of you out there, but if you're there - please come forward

I already have my thing going in my area of the world (me and a few friends), looking to move closer towards independence from grid & society in general, while researching our areas of interest and practicing our arts and crafts. As I said before, I've been leading this kind of 'lifestyle' for a few years now, and it is certainly do-able.

I am looking for people who share this vision (and maybe even already live it - or at least have their own like-minded groups), for the sake of networking and information exchange.

If you are among those - I would love to hear from you

Thanks...
    My alternative living skills resume is as follows:
    carpenter (built stick frame, timber frame, cob/adobe and laid in-floor radiant heating systems), custom metal fabricator and blacksmith, degree in electrical construction, some plumbing experience, drafting (AutoCAD, Inventor and Solidworks), construction project management, sculptor (wide range of classical and contemporary materials including but not limited to stone, plastics, mold making and ceramics), have taken courses and studied independently wilderness living (hide tanning, soap making, bow hunting, bow making, fletching, fishing, flint knapping, plant identification, survival shelter fabrication, rope making, spinning wool and backstrap loom weaving, snaring and biodynamic/permaculture farming), did private lessons in combat jujitsu for two years (a mixed martial art that includes gun handling, stick fighting, knife fighting as well as ground and standing unarmed techniques), and I have a keen interest in creating medicines from plant and mineral sources

As far as praxis goes, I'm heading to a retreat center for the next two weeks to practice Burmese Vipassana. In October, a friend and I are heading into northern Ontario for a week of wilderness survival (no tents, no food, no water- just minimal equipment that one can carry in a vest) which will culminate in going to the Headwaters Gathering, an annual festival of earth skills where like minded people come together to share information: http://harvestgatheringcanada.wordpress.com/about/

I've enjoyed your posts in the past Androgynus and I would be happy to share information and enthusiasm with you.

With Gratitude,
    K.
    Last edited by Karl; 08-24-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Karl,

A LAB-type group SHOULD be so lucky to have you as one of them

My entire group barely sums up to only a fraction of your impressive skill-set

Our own (collective) skills include building, carpentry, metal/blacksmith skills, Architecture and product design (including the programs you mentioned), water and electricity systems (including alternative water and power research), gardening/landscaping and permaculture (with a few extra tricks), various types of bodywork training, some past military combat training (don't ask ) and first and foremost - High Alchemy and also natural remedies (a limited variety though, but an effective one). Among other even less conventional skills are shamanic training and experience (including shamanic healing), Astrology, Out of Body travel and certain psychic abilities (including one of us who has a very special psychic connection with plants and animals).

We are not really focused on physical survival or 'propagation of the species'.

Physical survival by itself is not our goal, but rather make the best of whatever time we have here...

When it's time to go - it's time to go

PS: Your impressive skills kind of remind me of John Locke from the 'Lost' TV series

In spite of being 'grounded in ambivalence' at this time - do you see yourself living a lifestyle somehow resembling the LAB vision in the possible near future?
    Last edited by Andro; 08-24-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Aw shucks Androgynus, thanks. I really want to keep this thread going when I come back from retreat- I'm heading out the door now and internet is a no no with this kind of meditation- this topic is timely and important and we could all benefit from sharing info.

Ha! John Locke- I'm looking down at my combat pants and remembering the unique intensity with which I was examining throwing knives in the surplus store on Sunday. I'm hoping not to be possessed by an ancient demonic force anytime soon.

Blog Entries
    Hey Karl, I too agree...your skills are very interesting. Some of them I myself would be interested to learn. Looking forward to talking more about it when you return. Enjoy your trip!

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

I was almost sold on Karl there but can he cook and clean? \o/

just kidding...both Karl's and Androgynus' resumes leave me feeling quite inadequate

It makes me realise I should set about aquiring a few survival skills.

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    I was almost sold on Karl there but can he cook and clean?
    Dear Mr. Ghislain, that would be exactly where YOU fit in

both Karl's and Androgynus' resumes leave me feeling quite inadequate
    It's not MY skills only, but the collective skills of my entire group of friends here barely match Karl's talents ... I mean, the guy is a walking talking LAB in his own right

It makes me realize I should set about acquiring a few survival skills.
    If you were part of such an independent, off the grid self-sustained group, you wouldn't have to worry too much about survival (save for possible extinction level events )

I would focus more on creativity (art, research, etc...) and general skills for being independent of society and its energy grid...

Sounds like a good idea, where would this be??
    Last edited by Nibiru; 08-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Still Searching.............

+ Reply to Thread