Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Ninth Gate

The Ninth Gate

This is a Phoenix-thread from the old site.

This is a favorite of mine, and I believe it belongs in this section since it doesn't directly relate to alchemy. There is a certain movie called "The Ninth Gate," and I believe in which is hidden various occult truths and proofs. I cannot fully explain the whole dogma, but I found a great writeup and will relay it here.

The main index for this information starts here: http://www.halexandria.org/dward902.htm

These are the engravings we're concerned with: http://www.eclectichistorian.net/Engravings. I highly suggest viewing these, and recommend that you try and interpret their meaning, there are hidden riddles and secrets within the engravings. The symbolism is rich, almost like the tarot.
    Quote Originally Posted by deviadah
    Nice... the following sticks out:

[link broken]

The hanged man is an image that has always been attractive. An actual person dead from hanging is also a very freaky thing to see (or so I would imagine). But this one is just hanging from one leg AND upside down. Not sure of the meaning of this yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulEvil
    One of the articles on the site actually endeavors to explain this enigma. His explanation is certainly interesting!

This is from the site:

THE SIXTH GATE

Vav (Nail) = 6th Hebrew Letter * Roman Numeral VI * Sigma = 18th Greek Letter

(The Greek letter shown on the engraving is the variant form of lower case sigma used only at the end of a word. In addition to resembling a snake, this variant of sigma as the 18th Greek letter also has interesting numerological properties as the number 18 can be represented as 1+8 = 9; or as 6+6+6. We will consider the possible implications of this in more detail at the Ninth Gate.)

DIT.SCO M.R.

DITESCO MORI

I am enriched by death.

A man is hanging upside-down from the battlement of a castle wall by a noose-like rope wrapped around his right foot. The 'hangman's knot' is tied at the top loop of the rope that encircles the crenelation thus placing the crenelation of the castle wall in the place where the usual hanged man's head would be. This is just one example of the general pattern of 'reversal' in this engraving. The man's left leg is bent at the knee at almost a right angle and crosses behind the right knee. The arms are held behind the back, apparently restrained there. The man's face is relaxed and serene and there is no sign of the effect of gravity on his hair or clothing. To his right is a closed entry door to the castle and above it and to the left is a narrow arched window opening through which a mailed right arm is extended holding an upright, flaming sword.

LCF Version [in the two AT engravings, the man hangs by his left foot.]

Here we have the Tarot's Hanged Man, Key #12, hanging not from the usual Tau cross or tree, but from the wall of a castle on the outside. Since, in this series of engravings, the castle is symbolic of the final goal of the quest, the traveler here is shown for the first time to be entirely 'dependent' upon it, instead of separate from and traveling towards it, as he was in the past. This is a symbolic reflection of the great change which he experienced upon passing through the Veil of Paroketh, leaving the realm of the ego and entering into the realm of the Soul.

The flaming sword is another symbol related to the Tree of Life and is one name given to the path of the Tree's transcendent energy which flows on a downward course to sustain all of the lower sephiroth of the Tree. This is the path which the Transcendent Creative Energy originally took from the top of the Tree to the bottom, emanating each of the centers of the Tree as it went, in the original creative process. Because it zig-zags from pillar to pillar, it is also known as the 'path of the lightning bolt', a symbol which first appeared in the engraving of the Frontispiece showing a lightning-struck tree.

Up to now, the question of whether the traveler was maintaining an 'upward' or 'downward' orientation on the Tree has been a fairly simple matter. At each of the earlier gates, the LCF version of the engraving illustrated a choice which placed the traveler on an 'upward' path. But in the Fifth Gate, just preceding this, the LCF traveler finally left the realm of ego domination and entered the realm of the Soul, and this is a transition which involves a profound reorientation of the will. The Hanged Man is now aligned with the path of the 'flaming sword' in which the energy comes *from above* and as long as he maintains this orientation, the protective flaming sword which is spoken of in Genesis will not obstruct him on his journey up the Path of Return to the Garden.

He is no longer riding or walking up a path by his own will and energy, but has adopted a posture in which his accustomed ego-motivated activity is deliberately stilled. His feet aren't on the ground because he doesn't need to *go* anywhere in the old materialistic sense of reaching ego goals. His hands are behind his back because he doesn't have to *do* anything except learn to attune himself to his own Higher Will so that he can become a perfect instrument of the True Will of his Soul which is always in perfect alignment with the Will of God. Of course this doesn't mean that he stops all activity -- this is a symbolic representation of the inner attitude of receptivity to direction from Spirit which will, from now on, guide all of the traveler's actions.

The fact that the traveler is hanging by his right foot indicates that we are in the territory of the left-hand Pillar of Severity, whose base is the sephira Hod/Mercury (right leg). Not coincidentally, the path which connects Hod with the next sephira 'up' the Pillar of Severity, Geburah/Mars, is (in the system I have been using) assigned to the Tarot card The Hanged Man. Geburah/Judgment, whose symbol is the sword, represents purposeful Will, the faculty of spiritual/moral discernment and the fiery destruction of anything which is not in alignment with the Higher Will. Geburah's destructive function parallels that of the alchemical 'solve' in the process of 'solve et coagula', in which the ego's old way of perceiving and understanding has to be dissolved before the new, more highly evolved perspective of the Soul can take its place.

The related myth of Odin, who hung from the world tree for nine days in search of transcendent knowledge, reflects the fact that the transition from ego-dominance to Soul-dominance is a process which occurs over a period of time during which the ego's impulses to action are restrained until a working attunement to the impulses coming from Soul is achieved. T. S. Eliot describes the experience of this transition beautifully in these verses from East Coker:

"I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope

for hope would be hope for the wrong thing;

wait without love

For love would be love of the wrong thing;

there is yet faith

But the faith and the love and the hope are all in the waiting.

Wait without thought, for you are not ready for thought:

So the darkness shall be the light

and the stillness the dancing."

In terms of the structure of the Tree of Life, we are now approaching the highest horizontal polarity which normal, embodied human consciousness is able to reach: Geburah/Judgment on the left-hand Pillar of Severity and Chesed/Mercy on the right-hand Pillar of Mercy. On the upward path of return, the sephira of Chesed is the last stop before the great Abyss which separates the seven sephiroth of the lower created world from the Supernal Triad, the top three transcendent sephiroth of the Creative Godhead.

The nature of Chesed has been described as the boundless outpouring of the divine desire to give. In the balance which must be achieved between Chesed and Geburah, this 'boundless outpouring' must be shaped and measured to serve the highest moral purposes of the Soul which recognizes the equal necessity and compassionate nature of intelligent restraint and generosity, each to its proper degree and in its rightful place.

Since the movie is structured to follow the progress of Corso as Balkan's agent and witness to his misadventures, it is naturally a priority to keep Balkan in the game as long as possible, right up to the final gate, and since he reflects the typical mindset of the would-be 'black magician', the romanticized idea of the 'left-hand path' of the Pillar of Severity would naturally appeal to him. He would think of it as the route which would give him the closest access to his own distorted conception of the final goal of the quest: harnessing the Higher Will to serve the deluded purposes of the lower mind/ego.

When we last left Balkan, he was still ruthlessly pursuing his ego goals and counting out his gold pieces at Netzach/Venus, unable to make the Fifth Gate transition to the realm of the Soul. So in terms of the Sixth Gate engraving, Balkan would not have achieved the inverted perspective of the Hanged Man and would instead be (symbolically) standing upright on his left foot with his bent right leg crossing it (as in the AT version). In this posture he resembles the Tarot's Emperor figure, a symbol of earthly, material, ego-based power who, in the Thoth deck, sits on a throne with his right leg crossed over his left.

The route on the Tree which Balkan has actually taken so far bypasses the realm of the Soul on the Pillar of Mercy and the Central Pillar above Yesod. It begins at the bottom sephira, Malkuth, and progresses through the astral realm of Yesod, touches the lower feeling realm of Netzach (the 'left foot'), then crosses over to the 'right leg', the sphere of the lower intellect of Hod and makes an attempt to proceed up the Pillar of Severity towards Geburah/Judgment. Since this 'left-hand path' by-passes the transition from ego to Soul, Balkan never goes through the process of union with the Soul which is symbolically represented by the Hanged Man and it is his unregenerate ego alone which attempts to rise to Geburah.

Balkan's goal as a 'black magician' is to use the energies of the Tree which are available to him to satisfy the materialistic desires of his ego. Whether he was somehow able to rise to the level of Geburah or only experienced the illusion of doing so as visions of his own desire were reflected back at him by the watery surface of the Veil of Paroketh, the end result is the same. Balkan clearly believed that he would be 'enriched by death' in the sense that the death of his competitors would ensure that the prize he was seeking would be his alone. But the violence which he directed out towards others inevitably returned to its source to wreak its destruction on him.

The genuine Hanged Man experiences the 'death' of the autonomy of his old, illusory ego identity and the ego's value system and way of seeing the world, and in compensation for this loss of the illusory personal self, he discovers the Soul, the true, eternal Self which is the heir to the entire Kingdom. This is 'The New Jerusalem' of the restored and unified Tree. The symbolic form which this reunification takes is the subject of THE SEVENTH GATE.
    Quote Originally Posted by deviadah
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulEvil
    One of the articles on the site actually endeavors to explain this enigma. His explanation is certainly interesting!
    Yes I see now... I clicked on the engravings link first since symbols is what interests me the most - from an alchemical perspective that is.

There is an aspect of Above and Below with hanging upside down. That's for sure!

Hanged Man = re-birth

On a side note the music from that film is amazing (images in this clip from another flick though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhzFPQtELA

I'm absolutely convinced there's more to this movie than meets the eye. It's based off a book called The Club Dumas. I'm certain I'll find more answers to this mystery if I read the book. Must go find a copy.

Blog Entries
    I ran across that Halexandria site yesterday. Pretty interesting.
    I just finished reading the Twilight series so I could use a good read.
    I'll go look for the Dumas book as well.

Blog Entries
    Just like in 'The 9th Gate', I know more than one Alchemical treatise that describes the same process three times (within the same document), with a slight variation every time

And even if you put all the 'right' pieces together, it turns out that the true last piece of the puzzle is for the Alchemist to recognize and 'marry'/'unite with' his own Dark Side/Shadow to open the final Gate.

The movie's end blinds the viewer and puts him back to sleep in classical Holywood fashion by putting a dark/satanic spin on the final outcome.
    But there is a much deeper meaning to this movie, which is up to the awakened viewer to discern...
    Last edited by Androgynus; 02-04-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    The Highest Place You Reach Is The Place From Which You Fall

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    The movie's end blinds the viewer and puts him back to sleep in classical Holywood fashion by putting a dark/satanic spin on the final outcome.
    Yes, it is a very common trait, seems like there is a fear that the masses can't take this kind of stuff... how can they know when the masses have never been exposed to such shit on a massive scale before... apart from I guess 2001 - which did cause a sensation.

So maybe they should try it...

New and updated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    But there is a much deeper meaning to this movie, which is up to the awakened viewer to discern...
    To me the story line/ending wasn't really Satanic, I think the girl that was helping him along the whole time was an angel(divine) and man was she divine..whew and he (Johnny Depp's character) pryed opened heaven's gates and entered heaven in the end.
    But it was obvious that although all the other characters were along for the ride.....he was the only one that was meant to complete it and he was being targeted by those divine forces from the beginning.

I don't really equate Lucifer with Satan, Lucifer is an angel of light and illumination (knowledge) while Satan is more associated with jealousy and hatred of man. Sure some cultures and the church would try and criminalize knowledge by associating the two so closely. Starting with the whole Garden of Eden scenario. But only because dumb/ignorant sheep are more easily flocked/tended.
    All the Gods were saying was look if we allow humans to eat from the Tree of Knowledge and from the Tree of Life then they will be Gods just as us, all knowing and immortal, so some were for it and some against it.

And all I'm saying is that love of knowledge and truth is love of God, and lies and deceit and betrayal are love of evil and thus the epitome of Satan(satanic)....not to mean to equate the two as equal powers.... in fact quite the contrary, a created being such as Satan if he did/does ever exist cannot stand before the creator without his light, and thus even Satan is a tool in God's Master plan, as are we all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRetilus View Post
    I don't really equate Lucifer with Satan...
    I agree to that, sadly the average cinema-goer does though...

New and updated!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deviadah View Post
    I agree to that, sadly the average cinema-goer does though...

I also agree... Even though there is something powerful in recognizing your own Darkness/Shadow within you.

Maybe 'Satan' and 'Lucifer' are the Dark and Light polarities/aspects of the exact same archetype of balanced awakening. Let's remeber that absolute/extreme Dark or Light can be equally blinding. Not much of a difference if you're in a completely dark room or if someone is sticking a 2000W projector in your face

Surrounded by an infinity of everchanging mirrors, between Somehing and Nothing - we dance alone.
    Last edited by Androgynus; 02-05-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    The Highest Place You Reach Is The Place From Which You Fall

Blog Entries
    Lucifer or Lux Fere, Bringer of Light, yes, but emprisonned Light, it is a black subject, tenebrous, capturing light. Like the Dragon in fables, the St Mickael Archangel of the Superior Light/Knight in silvery armor, comes to take out this emprisonned Light with it's sword. Lucifer is in my understanding, not a all an angel of illumination or knowledge, but of darkness and suffering by ignorance of our true divine nature.

Satan, Shaatan in hebrew mean, obstacle. The Obstacle is the Skin of Lucifier.

Since the Kundalini Fire has not reached Ajna or Sahasrara, no fire came out of earth, and not divine nature can be really understood.

Salazius

http://dartigne.blogspot.com/

My Works

"Alchemy makes the World Weird, Wild, Wide, Wise, Wired, and Whoa."
    S.H.D

What my point was that no where in the bible is Lucifer really equated with Satan. That association is a product of popular culture: books (starting with Paradise Lost by Milton) and movies.

"Lucifer is a Latin word, literally meaning "light-bearer", which in that language is used as a name for the dawn appearance of the planet Venus, heralding daylight. Use of the word in this sense is uncommon in English, in which "Day Star" or "Morning Star" are more common expressions.

In English, "Lucifer" generally refers to Satan, although the name is not applied to him in the New Testament. The use of the name "Lucifer" in reference to a fallen angel stems from an interpretation of Isaiah 14:3-20, a passage that speaks of a particular Babylonian King, to whom it gives the title of "Day Star", "Morning Star" (in Latin, lucifer),[2] as fallen or destined to fall from the heavens or sky.[3] In 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used to refer to the Morning Star, with no relation to the devil. However, in post-New Testament times the Latin word Lucifer has often been used as a name for the devil, primarily in fictional works.

In the New Testament the Adversary has many names, but "Lucifer" is not among them. He is called "Satan" (Matt. 4:10; Mark 1:13, 4:15; Luke 10:18), "devil" (Matt. 4:1), "adversary" (1. Peter 5:8, ἀντίδικος; 1. Tim. 5:14, ἀντικείμενος), "enemy" (Matt. 13:39), "accuser" (Rev. 12:10), "old serpent" (Rev. 20:2), "great dragon" (Rev. 12:9), Beelzebub (Matt. 10:25, 12:24), and Belial (comp. Samael). In Luke 10:18, John 12:31, 2. Cor. 6:16, and Rev. 12:9 the fall of Satan is mentioned. The devil is regarded as the author of all evil (Luke 10:19; Acts 5:3; 2. Cor. 11:3; Ephes. 2:2), who beguiled Eve (2. Cor. 11:3; Rev. 12:9). Because of Satan death came into this world, being ever the tempter (1. Cor. 7:5; 1. Thess. 3:5; 1. Peter 5:8), even as he tempted Jesus (Matt. 4). The Christian demonology and belief in the devil dominated subsequent periods.[8] However, though the New Testament includes the conception that Satan fell from heaven "as lightning" (Luke 10:18; Rev. 12:7-10),[9] it nowhere applies the name Lucifer to him.

Elsewhere Lucifer is equated again with the Morning Star but not in reference to the same Babylonian king but as the planet Venus in relation to being the herald of the sun, and elsewhere as a false prophet to the sun, as can be seen in this poem:

May the Morning Star which never sets
    find this flame still burning:
    Christ, that Morning Star,
    who came back from the dead,
    and shed his peaceful light on all mankind,
    your Son, who lives and reigns for ever and ever.

This idea can be attributed to the stone as well as at one point it shines as bright as red Phosphorus and Roger Caro says:

Finally from the orange to the red we will pass from the 22nd to the 24th P.M. Here it will be noted that the Stone, at the end of Coagula, still carries some traces of impurity. Thus it cannot be used in this form. In this state St. John calls the Stone "False Prophet", for it has all the appearances of the finished Stone, but none of its virtues. To perfect it, the last cycle, known as Multiplication, must be brought to its end.

And the same idea is conveyed in the Splendor Solis here:

The False Prophet (anti-christ)

The True Red Stone/Sun/Son (Christ)

And as well in that many hermetic organizations have taken names like Order of the Morning Star, and Stella Matutina and because of those associations with the word Lucifer and its loose pop cultural connections to Satan/The Devil has given freemasonry and hermetic organizations a bad name and identified them as devil worshipers starting with :
    The Taxil Hoax:

Léo Taxil (1854–1907) claimed that Freemasonry is associated with worshipping Lucifer. In what is known as the Taxil hoax, he claimed that supposedly leading Freemason Albert Pike had addressed "The 23 Supreme Confederated Councils of the world" (an invention of Taxil), instructing them that Lucifer was God, and was in opposition to the evil god Adonai. Apologists of Freemasonry contend that, when Albert Pike and other Masonic scholars spoke about the "Luciferian path," or the "energies of Lucifer," they were referring to the Morning Star, the light bearer,[32] the search for light; the very antithesis of dark, satanic evil. Taxil promoted a book by Diana Vaughan (actually written by himself, as he later confessed publicly)[33] that purported to reveal a highly secret ruling body called the Palladium which controlled the organization and had a Satanic agenda. As described by Freemasonry Disclosed in 1897:

With frightening cynicism, the miserable person we shall not name here [Taxil] declared before an assembly especially convened for him that for twelve years he had prepared and carried out to the end the most sacrilegious of hoaxes. We have always been careful to publish special articles concerning Palladism and Diana Vaughan. We are now giving in this issue a complete list of these articles, which can now be considered as not having existed.[34]

Taxil's work and Pike's address continue to be quoted by anti-masonic groups.[35]

In Devil-Worship in France, Arthur Edward Waite compared Taxil's work to what today we would call a tabloid story, replete with logical and factual inconsistencies.
    Last edited by LeoRetilus; 02-05-2010 at 10:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread