Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moses and the Serpent

Blog Entries

Moses and the Serpent

This is a Phoenix-thread from the old site.

Some random thoughts on some interesting subjects... I've placed it in the part of the forums that deal with the history of alchemy because the figures of the Bible is very much a big part of the alchemical history, as is contain amongst other things the symbolism of the Serpent!

In the mountain region where the famed temple Petra lies (as seen in Indy 3) lies a High Place (a form of temple or place of worship) which was used by the Edomites.

Now close to this area stands a Snake Monument, about 30 feet high. It is in fact a monolith carved out of the rock with a serpent twirling around it.

Although destroyed by locals, due to Hippies going there to worship in the 60s (fuckin' hippies), the base of it still remains.

Can be difficult to detect but the base and beginning of the snake twirling up around the broken monolith is quite visible. Archeologists actually discovered a tomb that contained a black staff painted with hieroglyphs. The writings on the staff indicate that it was owned by Tuthmosis.

The staff is now in the Birmingham Museum after a long adventure where it actually at one point was on the Titanic, but left the ship when it stopped off in Ireland (perhaps Titanic got cursed).

Click on image for a larger pic...

Anyway what is interesting is the fact that Tuthmosis is the brother of Akhenaten. He was in fact the Pharao to be but vanished and his younger brother took his place. Now there is linguistic evidence to suggest that Tuthmosis is Moses (or one of several Moses since he lived for a very long time).

Freud connected Moses with Akhenaten, and perhaps not a strange thing to do since both created a religion based on a single God. Perhaps the religion of Akhenaten and Moses is in fact the very same religion - seperated only by language.

Look at the images below:

It almost seems as the lights shining down...

...is the arms of the candelabra pointing upwards.

Well really don't have one yet, but the connection between the religion of light (a la Akhenaten) and the religion of the one God (a la Moses) sure thickens.

Add to this the fact that both Baal and Serpent worship seems to be a bigger part of the ancient Hebrew religon than what the modern Jews themselves want to admit. The Bible has clearly been censored, but this we already know for sure.
    And the Lord spake unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole... - from Exodus
    Which he did during his 40 years of wandering in the wilderness. Moses also had horns in his head when he came down from the mountain with the ten commandements/emerald tablet (pick your legend).

The reasons behind the good serpent vand bad serpent (both in the Bible) is due to - according to scholars - the fact that in the times when the Bible was written, and before it was written, the Hebrews had a situation similar to Luther and the Catholics i.e. two distinct representations of the serpent occured.

The issue was not really about the serpent itself, but about having graven images of God! Proof in itself that perhaps the Serpent is some sort of powerful being... like Ningishzidda!

Hope the above sparks some insights (perhaps even some I myself have missed)!

Related topic:
    The Caduceus of Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulEvil
    You have done some real good research. I like the pictures too!

I didn't know about the titanic connection to the staff - the curse idea is really creepy. I was decently familiar with the rest though, especially the moses connection to Akhenaten or Tuthmosis. The serpent monument was new to me though, and it really sucks the locals had to destroy it (seems kind of drastic just to spite the hippies).
    Quote Originally Posted by deviadah
    Yeah I know... it was bedouins actually. They are a bit fundamental and didn't approve of the hippies new age religion. They actually blew it up with explosives!

The Titanic reference was indeed kind of freaky!
    Quote Originally Posted by MythMath
    Fuckin' exploding Bedouins...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt_Draught
    Hahahahaa!

In relation to the idea of a curse, I was reading about how they all ran off screaming in the dark the day they opened the great pyramid, they really where terrified of their old gods! Not only that but they found a bacterium growing in the pyramid which was found to be the cause of death for the poor bloke who opened the tomb and that just makes the mind boggle, they cultivated a rare and deadly bacteria in a 1000 year old tomb!?! "Death shall come on swift wings to he who disturbs the tomb of pharoh!" - That was found to be written over the door!

Thank fuck for penacillin!

Some grave robbers where actually found sealed in some of the pyramids, due to grave robbing being a problem, they where oft thinking of ways to thwart being robbed in death. You can just imagine walking down a dark tunnel, crapping your pants with flaming torch in hand only to disturb something and have a huge chunk of solid granite roll down where the door used to be. That torch isnt going to help its robbing you of oxygen, a nasty way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Israel
    Very interesting article. I'm intrigued by the staff.

The only thing that I would take issue with is the comment that Moses created the religion of the "one god". This was actually Abraham's religion which he brought up to Canaan from the land of Ur (modern day Iraq), and several generations before Moses. It was also the religion of Jacob (later named Israel).

Another note on the name of the god Baal. During that time the name Baal actually meant Lord, and so many gods were referred to as Baal - typically to denote a deity of a specific city. It was only after the 12 tribes had split into two kingdoms that the name Baal became a shameful one.
    Quote Originally Posted by carabric
    Great post, I wholly believe Moses to be a daunting and wholly alchemical figure throughout the historic record. It is great you mentioned the staff and serpent...in addition to the candelabra. The earliest mentions of staff and serpent (or caduceus) are seen with just one snake as in the case of Asclepius it's only later in the historic record that the two are shown divided and battling each other to represent their opposing natures. I just love seeing the progression of allegorical ideas throughout history. To me it just shows a sort of loosening of the overall secrecy which this art is founded on, I can only wonder at where it is going...but if the bible is any clue "all will be revealed" so who knows. Even though Akhenaten is generally credited with bringing about a more monotheistic view of god I still believe the Egyptian priest before him (who would be the ones dispelling the religion) at their core were of the same idea. If you look at the other deities from a more metaphoric point of view in some ways I believe they represent aspects of the alchemical process...much in the same way during the middle age they would use figures such as crow, dove, or phoenix to represent a phase of the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluna
    Maybe we'll all be cursed too, just from seeing the picture...

Anyway, good research. Making connections is a good way to accumulate knowledge, and helps people like me who know nothing about the subject...

Thank you.
    Last edited by Awani; 04-01-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    What many consider an important section of the Bible, often quoted:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

— John 3:16
    Based on their analysis of the original Greek parallelistic structure of John 3:14-17, Gundry and Howell provide the following English translation showing the grammatical structure of that passage:

And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,
    in this way must the Son of man be lifted up

in order that everyone believing might have in him life eternal,
    for in this way God loved the world;
    and so God gave the only Son
    in order that everyone believing in him might not perish; rather, might have life eternal,
    for God did not send the Son into the world
    in order that he might judge the world;
    rather, in order that the world might be saved through him. - source
    Is the serpent he lifts up in the desert a reference to the passage below?

And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived. from Numbers 21:6-9 [KJV]
    An official interpretation from the Bible Encyclopedia:

The copper figure or representation of a serpent made by Moses during Israel’s trek in the wilderness. Near the border of Edom the people showed a rebellious spirit, complaining about the miraculously provided manna and the water supply. Jehovah therefore punished them by sending poisonous serpents among them, and many persons died from serpent bites. After the people showed repentance and Moses interceded for them, Jehovah told him to make a figure in the form of a serpent and to place it upon a signal pole. Moses complied, and “it did occur that if a serpent had bitten a man and he gazed at the copper serpent, he then kept alive.” Numbers 21:4-9; 1 Corinthians 10:9.
    Jesus Christ made clear the prophetic meaning of the wilderness event involving the copper serpent when he told Nicodemus: “Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so the Son of man must be lifted up, that everyone believing in him may have everlasting life.” (John 3:13-15) Like the copper serpent that Moses placed on a pole in the wilderness, the Son of God was impaled, thus appearing to many as an evildoer and a sinner, like a snake, being in the position of one cursed. (Deuteronomy 21:22, 23; Galatians 3:13; 1 Peter 2:24) In the wilderness a person who had been bitten by one of the poisonous serpents that Jehovah sent among the Israelites evidently had to gaze at the copper serpent in faith. Similarly, to gain everlasting life through Christ, it is necessary to exercise faith in him.
    But if the whole thing was about making people have faith despite the fact that they are looking at something bad (like a snake or a condemned man), why the one commandment that says that thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, so who would look at a sculpture in faith if they had faith in the commandments? Or perhaps the meaning is lost to us through time, because it sounds pretty silly. Or is it just me? Does God really need to play these games?

Some hold the Ancient Alien theory, and parts of it I like... the God in the Bible (and other similar texts) do appear to behave more like a being rather than a God; showing qualities like anger, jealousy, revenge etc... Perhaps first aliens came. Then around Jesus time we got into mushrooms... then the Romans had enough and the rest is history?

Why not?

Last edited by Awani; 04-01-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    In the Hebrew Bible the word for serpent used in the scene explaining Original Sin is nachash.

...which can be translated as "serpent" (noun), as "shiny" (adjective), or as "to deceive" or "to divine" (verb). If a strong believer in mindexpanding substances has any doubt about the deceitfulness of a DMT experience, he or she must remember that not all halucinations are true... it's best to refer to the expert opinion of... [a] blind Conibo shaman: Only the worthy receives the truth! - from Inner Paths to Outer Space by Strassman, Wojtowicz, Luna and Frecska.
    Last edited by Awani; 04-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.

The notion that Mose[s], the Egyptian was the pharaoh Akhentaten was developed at length in this book by Osman. It s an interesting idea, but, like all biblical material, even Mose[s] is a questionably historical figure. Supposedly credited with writing the Pentateuch himself, in Deuteronomy 34:4-5, Mose[s] is denied entrance to The Holy Land for a transgression, and dies on Mount Nebo. It's a neat trick to complete the writing of the Pentateuch after one has died! I spoke about the so-called captivity of specifically Hebrew slaves in Egypt with my former professor and Egyptologist, Bob Brier back in 1974. He told me in no uncertain terms that there is no archeological evidence to support this widely held belief. Akhenaten, may have been banished from the throne, and left with his followers, and that possibility may be the seed of truth behind the Hebrew Exodus story. The Egyptians wanted their polytheistic faith back, instead of the worship of One God in the form of Aten, the Solar Disk. As a matter of fact, Akhentaten's son, Tutankhaten, changed his name to the famous Tutankhamen, to reflect the change of God Name to Amen (or Amun, later merged with Ra as Amen-Ra). This name finds itself in the prayers of all English-speakers at the conclusion - 'Amen.'

Wikipedia:
    The biblical text explains the name Mošeh משה as a derivation of the root mšh משה "to draw", in Exodus 2:10:
    "[...] she called his name Moses (משה): and she said, Because I drew him (משיתהו) out of the water." (KJV) Another suggestion has connected the name with the Egyptian ms, as found in Tuth-mose and Ra-messes, meaning "born" or "child"

Of the horns on Mose[s]' head, as illustrated by Michalangelo, I lifted this as a quick and easy explanation from Wiki, which I learned "when I was back there in seminary school."

Moses is portrayed with two rays of light projecting from his head, which represent Exodus 34:29-35 which tells that after meeting with God the skin of Moses' face became radiant. The twin rays of light come from a longstanding tradition that Moses instead grew horns.
    This is derived from a misinterpretation of the Hebrew phrase karan `ohr panav (קָרַן עֹור פָּנָיו). The root קרן Q-R-N (qoph, resh, nun) may be read as either "horn" or "ray of light", depending on vocalization. `Ohr panahv (עֹור פָּנָיו) translates to "the skin of his face".
    The correct interpretation of these two words is that Moses was enlightened, that "the skin of his face shone" (as with a gloriole), as the KJV has it.
    The Septuagint correctly translates the Hebrew phrase as δεδόξασται ἡ ὄψις, "his face was glorified"; but Jerome translated the phrase into Latin as cornuta esset facies sua "his face was horned".

Lastly, I thought that a Kabbalistic illustration of the 7-branched menorah might be a useful insertion in your discussion, which I too find immensely interesting :

Last edited by MarkostheGnostic; 04-01-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Very interesting thread. Rays of light, radiant skin... this reminds me a lot of MFKZT and the Ark of covenant.

As a matter of fact, I recently realised that the ratio of the Ark, 1.29 * 0.8m is exactly Phi, the golden ratio. Coincedense? I don't think so.

+ Reply to Thread