Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gospel of Thomas

Blog Entries

Gospel of Thomas

This is probably one of my favorite gnostic text. You can read it in full here.

It is like a list of secret sayings that the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas recorded.

I am really interested in this one:

13. Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to something and tell me what I am like."

Simon Peter said to him, "You are like a just messenger."

Matthew said to him, "You are like a wise philosopher."

Thomas said to him, "Teacher, my mouth is utterly unable to say what you are like."

Jesus said, "I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended."

And he took him, and withdrew, and spoke three sayings to him. When Thomas came back to his friends they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?"

Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the sayings he spoke to me, you will pick up rocks and stone me, and fire will come from the rocks and devour you."
    What bubbling spring? A brew of an ayahuasca-like liquid perhaps?

Here are some other interesting examples:

3. Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.

When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."
    11. Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away.

The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. During the days when you ate what is dead, you made it come alive. When you are in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one, you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"
    14. Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will bring sin upon yourselves, and if you pray, you will be condemned, and if you give to charity, you will harm your spirits.

When you go into any region and walk about in the countryside, when people take you in, eat what they serve you and heal the sick among them.

After all, what goes into your mouth will not defile you; rather, it's what comes out of your mouth that will defile you."
    22. Jesus saw some babies nursing. He said to his disciples, "These nursing babies are like those who enter the (Father's) kingdom."

They said to him, "Then shall we enter the (Father's) kingdom as babies?"

Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."
    And finally:

53. His disciples said to him, "Is circumcision useful or not?"

He said to them, "If it were useful, their father would produce children already circumcised from their mother. Rather, the true circumcision in spirit has become profitable in every respect."
    Perhaps not strange he got nailed up?

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

I figured if I looked around for a while I would find the Gospel of Thomas mentioned here. Definitely an excellent resource.

Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."

And of course the kingdom is all around us, unseen normally.

The gnostic texts are full of alchemy parables and allegories, however Jesus was teaching the inner alchemy not the outer alchemy. He was teaching how to break the spirit free from the body to be born again. I am sure there are outer alchemy truths but this was not what he was preaching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherSage View Post
    The gnostic texts are full of alchemy parables and allegories, however Jesus was teaching the inner alchemy not the outer alchemy. He was teaching how to break the spirit free from the body to be born again. I am sure there are outer alchemy truths but this was not what he was preaching.
    How do you know for sure? Why can't both be true?

Christ was capable of external transmutation (water to wine, for example). Personally, I don't think it's possible to do external transmutation without practicing external alchemy.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

I am sure he could, as could Moses and others. But his true teaching was of a higher alchemy. Earthly or material alchemy is the lowest form of alchemy. He was only considered with matters of the spirit. If you could create gold at will and extend your life for hundreds of years, you would still surely die and then what would you have? I believe Yeshua and many others like him laid out a foundation for the creation of the spirit body. There is no doubt Christ was only concerned with the spirit, as he told his followers many times that to give away all things material that they owned, that is not what a material alchemist would do, they would hoard their gold. There is but one true kingdom for which there is only one stone that can build it, nothing on earth will last. The true stone only exists in the plane of Yesod, true foundation of the great temple.
    Last edited by ArcherSage; 11-07-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Two sources I love:

Philo of Alexandria: and his insistence on the ALLEGORICAL and not LITERAL interpretation of the Torah (if you wanna read just ONE of his texts, my suggestion would be his text "On Dreams").

Porphyry: "On the cave of the Nymphs": an explanation of how Homer didn't write a LITERAL story, but an allegory.

I like Gnosticism (Christian and Pagan) and I must confess that I am not a huge fan of the Bible (a compilation mostly made by a very dumb person, Iraneous... but some things are interesting there, even in the less Gnostic of the 4 gospels:

MATTTHEW 13
    9 [Jesus said:] "Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:

“Though seeing, they do not see;
    though hearing, they do not hear or understand.
    14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
    15 For this people’s heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
    Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
    and turn, and I would heal them.’
    The early Christian texts (Gnostic and non Gnostic) are filled with allegories. I don't think that entheogens are the most likely answer to the parables though some authors defend this idea -i.e, Robert Graves) and I do not own the truth, it's just an opinion... but the literal interpretations don't lead too far.

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    I don't think that entheogens are the most likely answer to the parables though some authors defend this idea -i.e, Robert Graves) and I do not own the truth, it's just an opinion... but the literal interpretations don't lead too far.

I think it's a key. And that does not mean that the lock only accepts one key, or there is even a "right key" - or that there is only one lock.

Substances that allow for altered states of consciousness are partial keys. It has nothing to do with the substance, but with what is perceived and understood under the altered state. To be sure, some levels of these types of altered states can be reached in many different ways - not just through ingesting some drug. Meditation, contemplation, initiation, fasting, exhaustion, etc. The learning that can occur under the altered state is something that can stay with the person (if they work on it), and then becomes it's own key. If, at that point, the key can unlock the mysteries, do we say it was due to the drug they took? Or was it something else?

John Allegro makes some pretty good arguments as well, along with a whole slew of others people. In the end it's little more than historical curiosity if it's true or not. What matters is "does it actually work"? The proof is in the pudding. But plenty of people who have never tasted loved to argue the points with others who haven't tasted either. Comical really.

In the occult circles it was said quite well (paraphrasing here from a bunch of different sources): what matters is the rearrangement of the neuronal connections so that it may be a foundation upon which new levels of consciousness can exist. The method that one takes to make this happen is irrelevant. All roads lead.

+ Reply to Thread