Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: "Compass of the Wise" released!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth-Ra View Post
    I was under the impression it was meaning to merge the opposites of Sulphur/fire/spirit with Salt/earth/matter. (pointed out by the "compass") Just above it shows the fire with Sulphur, and water with Mercury, considering also the circle they are in, and how they are lined makes the symbol for salt too, and in some respect, squaring the circle, all in one. Balancing the 3 in the one. The Antimony would be the actual matter - and true to antimony's name "not alone" - consisting of the 3 in harmony by proper working from Below and Above into One.
    Interesting viewpoint...

There is a good deal in this particular pic... can anyone tell me what the writing up in the top left and top right corners means? I tried using a translator and it either has something to do with the 15th of May, or perhaps at the 5th hour of the morning in May - but thats just what i was coming up with.
    Writing on the top SCH(A)MAIIM is a word found in the Hebrew Bible describing the upper fiery waters of Moses as described in Genesis.The word SCH(A)MAIIM or Shamajim is composed of two Hebrew words Aesch+Majim meaning Fire (igneous God's spirit)+Water with which everything was created in the beginning.
    You can learn a great deal about Shamajim in the book Opus Mago from Georg von Welling.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=-Bo...page&q&f=false

The "j" and "B" on the pillars stumped me for a bit, until i thought the compass part makes a "O" and when i ran "j OB" in it translated it as "For the one". Interesting indeed...

The letters J and B stands for the names of the two pillars Joachim and Boaz found at the entrance of the Solomons temple and built by the architect Hiram Abiff.
    http://symboldictionary.net/?p=2530
    Last edited by True Initiate; 11-17-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Ah i see, Hebrew - i was translating it from a latin view point. lol

Thanks for the info.

~Seth-Ra
    All is One.
    Before Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.

Hi

Just a quick note: the SCH(A)MAIIM is not quite correct. The binding cut off the remainder of the text on the left which can be seen in the smaller version - AESCH (fire) on the left, MAYIM on the right.

Incidentally, Mayim and Aesch both accurately reflect symbolically the nature of the two matters: Mem Yod Mem is Water, with the Yod/flame/spirit hidden within. Aesch, on the other hand, is just as expressive (think Cheth = fence, enclosure, etc).

I think this picture makes a lot more sense when considered in relation to the first plate (which Salazius kindly provided at the beginning of this thread). But I'll take the time to provide some more thoughts at some later date.

Its going to take me some time totranslate any of it :> reading Fraktur fonts is a PITA.

So, is there an English version available anywhere? It appears the AMORC version is not available. Am I incorrect in this? Any assistance on this one would be appreciated much.

Naturweg

The "Naturweg" manuscript (which is a brief but IMO complete summary of the compass) has now been translated into English and was published with LULU.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ich-a-true-...-20096407.html

The German transcription floating around the alchemy places of the web is quite faulty, I provide a corrected version (about 200 errors corrected counting the smaller ones also) for d/l here:

http://alchemie.m31.de/hermes-pdf.html

-sam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRetilus View Post
    Indeed, the creation of the Order corresponds with the popularity of High Masonic Degrees beyond the Blue Lodges, the lodges called "Reds".
    Royal Arch is known to be called "reds".
    Introitus apertus ad occlusum Regis palatium / Labore et coeli favore / Nosce te ipsum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vega33 View Post
    the SCH(A)MAIIM is not quite correct. The binding cut off the remainder of the text on the left which can be seen in the smaller version - AESCH (fire) on the left, MAYIM on the right. Incidentally, Mayim and Aesch both accurately reflect symbolically the nature of the two matters: Mem Yod Mem is Water, with the Yod/flame/spirit hidden within. Aesch, on the other hand, is just as expressive (think Cheth = fence, enclosure, etc).
    Georg von Welling wrote in Opus Mago-cabbalisticum Et Theosophicum some very profound descriptions of mayim and aesch. I think what you mention in your posting is very important for us in our alchemical work.
    Introitus apertus ad occlusum Regis palatium / Labore et coeli favore / Nosce te ipsum

Mayim and Aesch also means water and fire, the two primary elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisztian View Post
    Georg von Welling wrote in Opus Mago-cabbalisticum Et Theosophicum some very profound descriptions of mayim and aesch. I think what you mention in your posting is very important for us in our alchemical work.
    Thanks Kristian, I've really enjoyed some of von Welling's work (his experiment with the production of a solar oil of sorts was quite an eye opener) and its exciting to know that I.C.H.'s Naturweg is now available in an English translation now!

@TP: yes fire and water, or fiery-water and watery-fire is what the plate is referring to, that's why I was mentioning the yod in Mayim (water) as signifying that hidden fire within water, and the idea of Cheth as the fire enclosure or dwelling (the humid radical) spoken of in Pernety. Technically its not a literalistic etymology for the word, but then green language never is, its more about what it reveals by its light-and-shadow. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vega33 View Post
    Thanks Kristian, I've really enjoyed some of von Welling's work (his experiment with the production of a solar oil of sorts was quite an eye opener) and its exciting to know that I.C.H.'s Naturweg is now available in an English translation now!

@TP: yes fire and water, or fiery-water and watery-fire is what the plate is referring to, that's why I was mentioning the yod in Mayim (water) as signifying that hidden fire within water, and the idea of Cheth as the fire enclosure or dwelling (the humid radical) spoken of in Pernety. Technically its not a literalistic etymology for the word, but then green language never is, its more about what it reveals by its light-and-shadow. Cheers.
    In my lab I have a good number of diagrams and alchemical illustrations printed out, placed on the far left wall, and my eye keeps seeing those two words "AESCH" and "MAYIM" as of late. I'm wondering whether I should look into this topic again? (I'm becoming more and more focussed on what my daily awareness is drawn to; I noticed how much it teaches, and how much I miss when I'm not sensetive or qucik to dismiss.)

+ Reply to Thread