Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: "Compass of the Wise" released!

True Puffer,

why did you put an request for the "Compass" in a german forum, when you had the google book already ... and used other
    peoples time to look for it?

I did not!
    I have found it one day later and i have sent only one private message to the member who helped me with the Google links.
    I don't care about the others on that forum who didn't helped me in the first place.

regarding the text by I.C.H., i guess the german version to be this:
    I.C.H., Das Hermes Trimegists, Leipzig, 1782
    that I could not find on the net (not a big problem to me, since that sadly,
    What was the original reason for mixing up "Der Compaß der Weisen" with "Des Hermes wahrer alter Naturweg" ?

The latter one could be found here:

http://books.google.at/books?id=YFs6AAAAcAAJ

Btw a really true alchemical text and certainly worth for its translation into other languages !

Quote Originally Posted by Weidenfeld View Post
    What was the original reason for mixing up "Der Compaß der Weisen" with "Des Hermes wahrer alter Naturweg" ?
    hi,
    back to page 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lion View Post
    I'll be nice:
    There is a book that summarized the Compass of the Wise.
    This is the book whose title in French is:
    Le vrai et vieux chemin de Nature d'Hermès Trismégiste
    (The real and old way of Nature of Hermes Trismegistus).
    The author of the book is called I.C.H..
    But in fact, he is the same author as who wrote the Compass of the Wise ...
    This text exists in French, in German ... and in English for the great seekers.

Thanks for the referen ce to Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer elter Naturweg.

BTW I.C.H. or J.C.H., its still an assumed name... just like Fulcanelli. I.C.H./J.C.H. can refer to Jachin, the right hand pillar of Solomon's Temple. Jachin is the foundation, Boaz is strength, therefore the two are inward and outward directed expressions of the same Universal Spirit. Accordingly, I.C.H. would therefore signify an initiate who has completed the process which involves him receiving the light within (in the mystical heart) who is therefore rectified and bright like Jachin, or alternatively if you like Diana, the moon who lies in Yesod (foundation).

So noone can be any the wiser about who he really was, despite any educated guesses.

I find it especially interesting to note the spirals that the author has drawn on page 106 at the bottom of the skeleton's pelvis, as well as the excellent depiction of the descent of the volatile spirit which animates and re-in-forms the dead matter.

Cheers (back to lurk mode again)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lion View Post
    I'll be nice:
    There is a book that summarized the Compass of the Wise.
    This is the book whose title in French is:
    Le vrai et vieux chemin de Nature d'Hermès Trismégiste
    (The real and old way of Nature of Hermes Trismegistus).
    The author of the book is called I.C.H..
    But in fact, he is the same author as who wrote the Compass of the Wise ...
    This text exists in French, in German ... and in English for the great seekers.
    Well, I have checked the original text of "Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg" but could not find any reference to the "Compaß der Weisen". Is it possible that only the French translation contains that reference ? How did you come to the conclusion that both authors might be identical ?

It's quite evident, that Ketmia Vere, the author of the "Compaß der Weisen", was Schleiss von Löwenfeld and not Adam Melchior Birkholtz.
    Last edited by Weidenfeld; 09-23-2010 at 06:38 PM.

The compass of the wise of Ketmia Vere was published by Adam Michael Birkhol. But it is necessary to know that Birkhol published himself also and used then pen names to sell better his works. He often praised some of his works written with another pen name.
    What allows to make the link between the compass of the wise and “Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg” is the fact that in the compass of the wise appears several times the sentence " Real and canonical Freemasonry " what is an allusion hardly veiled from Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg signed by the name " I.C.H. a real freemason ".
    Furthermore, and it is the most important there, both works speak about the same alchemical way, about the same work and the same observations.
    Daniel Hornfischer also makes the link between Birkhol, the compass of the wise, Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg and the book Von der Nature und Kunst (signed by a certain I.C.H.).

Adam Michael Birkholz
    AdaMah Booz

With all respects ...

since all of you are so deeply moved by " the compass of the wise"

the essence of the book... is this a work which gives us a big jump foward,
    or do we just follow the believe on the title .... and than, do we may be find out,
    that the inholding message is just the same, which we find in all the other texts? .... Joy

hallo joy,
    personally I'm interested in every book that speaks true alchemy (I'm talking about the classics). That said, I never expect the next book I find to be revelatory about some "solution" to the alchemical enigma. Every text of a true adept will bring some sparkle of light on a side while in the same time will generate confusion and doubts on the other. I'm afraid this to be part of Alchemy's methodology, so if a text is way too clear about the Art, it could be reasonable to doubt it to be canonical or at least to consider its author to be very envious. There's no ultimate alchemy book.
    I red the Compass of the wise (as I said, its in the RAMS collection), and I must say that, beside a lenghty and quite boring prefaction about a sort of history of the brotherhood, the text of the "anonymous brethren" reported by ketmia vere could stand well together with the more renowed classics . It cites mostly Lulle, Cosmopolite and d'Espagnet, while the lengthy notes by ketmia vere refer mainly to Montesnyder. So there's nothing special about the Compass, it's "just" another true alchemy book.
    with humility
    t

+ Reply to Thread