Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: "Compass of the Wise" released!

Thank you Teofrast40!
    Last edited by True Initiate; 09-26-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks to an unexpected windfall, I am having a copy of this work shipped to me. It should arrive around the end of next week.

"A note about the book: This book is a bound photocopy in a quality library buckram binding with raised bands and gilt titles from the library of Leonard Pembroke. The photocopy was done by the British Library and is complete (430+ pages.) It includes the folding and extending frontispiece frequently missing from many editions."

Leonard Pembroke was apparently one of those who continued the study of alchemy in the early 1900s. The chain goes (somewhat) Ayton (G.'.D.'.) > Kohn > Pembroke. He was a theosophist, and was known for producing really good quality copies of alchemical manuscripts.

I may post some photos once I receive it.

Cheers all.

I would love to have a high resolution picture of the front page.

I would love to have a high resolution picture of the front page.
    I have a picture with a sufficient resolution, but how I can attach it without using an external link ?

reply - go advanced - manage attachments /below/ - add files

but limited 4MB

Sorry, but it doesn't work. There appears an ! sign which notifies an error (#403). I don't know what this means.

Hi folks

Apologies for the crappy scan, but the buckram binding is less than ideal for making copies.

I also got the 403 error, but you can view the file here:
    http://www.imaginalrealms.com/dercompassderweisen.jpg

200dpi greyscale. The original is already a photocopy by the British Museum, although at 1:1 AFAIK (the book is quite small - 11cm x 18cm!)

Cheers
    P.'.A.'.M.'.

Thanks for the link of the higher-rez image. Enjoying it...

~Seth-Ra
    All is One.
    Before Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.

Thank you very much vega33!

In the picture above that vega33 charitably shared with us we can clearly see a magnetized pointer pointing from the symbol of Sulphur to the symbol of Nitre (or sea salt, i am not so sure) and going through the mediator represented with a globe with the cross on top and three lines in the center of the circle representing the first matter (Antimony??).

On the table "above" we also see the symbols for Sulphur,Sal Amoniac, Vitriol, Nitre, Alum and Tartar all born from the white and red sulpurs of Sol & Luna which in return are giving birth to the seven metals "below" the table.

Do somebody have a better explanation (understanding) for the symbol sitting in the middle of the table?

Last edited by True Initiate; 11-16-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by True Puffer View Post
    In the picture above that vega33 charitably shared with us we can clearly see a magnetized pointer pointing from the symbol of Sulphur to the symbol of Nitre (or sea salt, i am not so sure) and going through the mediator represented with a globe with the cross on top and three lines in the center of the circle representing the first matter (Antimony??).
    Do somebody have a better explanation?

I was under the impression it was meaning to merge the opposites of Sulphur/fire/spirit with Salt/earth/matter. (pointed out by the "compass") Just above it shows the fire with Sulphur, and water with Mercury, considering also the circle they are in, and how they are lined makes the symbol for salt too, and in some respect, squaring the circle, all in one. Balancing the 3 in the one. The Antimony would be the actual matter - and true to antimony's name "not alone" - consisting of the 3 in harmony by proper working from Below and Above into One.

There is a good deal in this particular pic... can anyone tell me what the writing up in the top left and top right corners means? I tried using a translator and it either has something to do with the 15th of May, or perhaps at the 5th hour of the morning in May - but thats just what i was coming up with. The "j" and "B" on the pillars stumped me for a bit, until i thought the compass part makes a "O" and when i ran "j OB" in it translated it as "For the one". Interesting indeed...

Much more too...

~Seth-Ra
    All is One.
    Before Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.

+ Reply to Thread