Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: "Compass of the Wise" released!

Hello all, there is an english version in the R.A.M.S collection. I scanned it for the collection sometime after I got it during August 2010. The copy was the only one in the more than 20 boxes of materials I picked up from one of Hans's sons. I am currently cataloguing all of the documents in the archives and hope to scan them for inclusion in the R.A.M.S collection. This is where the new book by Lapidus was found,it is being published by Salamander and Sons, for those interested in the works of Lapidus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapis Ignis View Post
    Hello all, there is an english version in the R.A.M.S collection. I scanned it for the collection sometime after I got it during August 2010. The copy was the only one in the more than 20 boxes of materials I picked up from one of Hans's sons. I am currently cataloguing all of the documents in the archives and hope to scan them for inclusion in the R.A.M.S collection. This is where the new book by Lapidus was found,it is being published by Salamander and Sons, for those interested in the works of Lapidus.
    In those more than 20 boxes of materials, do you happen to have stumbled upon a copy of an English translation of this book by Fra Donato d'Eremita?:

http://archive.org/stream/dellelixir...ge/n0/mode/2up

The RAMS people apparently intended to publish it back in 1983:

http://ramsdigital.com/pics/pg20.jpg

It seems to be the only one of their advertised translations that has never been located.

Hi JDP, I haven't came across that title yet. There are a couple of titles Amor Proximo anonymous and The Secret Fire by Cyliani we were looking for that was on the post 1990 advertisement I came across in the boxes. It's the yellow ad on the R.A.M.S site, I looked at it and the title you mentioned is not on that list. It might be among the 100 + titles that Hans's son still has in his possession. These are photocopies of titles yet to be translated. Maybe it's in there. The two titles I mentioned have yet to be found either. So until the list of texts reaches me I don't what is among the yet to be translated items. When I get some information I will post it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lapis Ignis View Post
    There are a couple of titles Amor Proximo anonymous and The Secret Fire by Cyliani we were looking for that was on the post 1990 advertisement I came across in the boxes. The two titles I mentioned have yet to be found either.
    Apparently, 'The Secret Fire' by Cyliani doesn't really exist...

See: http://www.levity.com/alchemy/t_cyliani.html

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lion View Post
    The compass of the wise of Ketmia Vere was published by Adam Michael Birkhol. But it is necessary to know that Birkhol published himself also and used then pen names to sell better his works. He often praised some of his works written with another pen name.
    What allows to make the link between the compass of the wise and “Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg” is the fact that in the compass of the wise appears several times the sentence " Real and canonical Freemasonry " what is an allusion hardly veiled from Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg signed by the name " I.C.H. a real freemason ".
    Furthermore, and it is the most important there, both works speak about the same alchemical way, about the same work and the same observations.
    Daniel Hornfischer also makes the link between Birkhol, the compass of the wise, Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg and the book Von der Nature und Kunst (signed by a certain I.C.H.).
    The connection can indeed be made when reading the foreword of "Von der Natur und Kunst (which seems to be "the true and natural path pt. 2")" written by this certain I.C.H. in 1780.

He actually says he has only written it as a "thank you" for the compilator of a four volume compilation called "Das Hermetische A.B.C.", in which one finds interesting old an new treatises. The new ones are all of the same canon like the natural path. Especially the writings of a certain Johann Ferdinand von Frydau of whom one letter (Sendschreiben) is included in the 4th part of the A.B.C. There exist another interesting book by him called "Licht des Lichtes".

Now this compilator of the Hermetische A.B.C. seems to be the same guy who published (or maybe has written) the "Compass of the Wise", namely said Adam Michael Birkhol or AdaMah Booz. Unless this guy had very serious ego problems, I would not say that I.C.H. and Birkhol were the same persons as I.C.H. in "Natur und Kunst" is really praising this compilator head over heels and therefore himself (though it may be possible - GL seems to know more about this).

I have good news for the non-sauerkrauts:

Some time ago I stumbled upon some english works of a publisher who called himself "Birchwood". The name sounded funny to me so that's why I guess i remembered it, though I forgot where and I did not save it. The literal translation of Birkhol(z) is actually "Birchwood" and I'm quite sure that this is the same guy. If you are interested, you can try to search in your usual sources about this name.

Note that the first letter "B" in both languages, the two "o"s in the english version and the missing "z" in german form the pseudonym "Booz".

@Michael Sternbach: Obviously your joke of "des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter 'Holzweg'" has indeed a deeper meaning.

+ Reply to Thread