Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Donate!

THANKS TO ALCHEMY FORUMS

Dev, the administrators and members have contributed to this forum over many years to make this THE best alchemy forum on the web.

I studied and worked in the lab for over 20 years, all the time searching
    for like minded souls but to no avail but then my prayers were answered and I found ALCHEMY FORUMS.

This forum covers so many topics and it's archive is a cornucopia of PRICELESS information.

It's a beacon of light to so many who find themselves lost in the labyrinth and hundreds if not thousands of guests search through this forum every week.

This treasure trove needs to be cared for.

We don't think much about spending some dollars on books or lab ware, but to
    donate dollars to Alchemy Forums I believe is an investment in knowledge
    and support.

Generously, Dev doesn't charge for membership and the forum is open for everyone to read for free.

I must say I was a little surprised to see only 22 names on the PATRON OF THE SACRED ART list, out of 457 members...and yes there are some anonymous ones too. Seeing this list has been a reminder that it has been a while since our last donation and prompted us to make it an annual ritual to pay our respects and show our gratitude. I would like to see the majority of members becoming patrons. Everyone can afford a small amount of change and if members donated every year it would make an enormous difference to the running costs of the forum providing support to those who support us!

Many thanks again Dev, the admin, and to the PATRONS OF THE SACRED ART!!!

Kind regards to all, Mr and Mrs Black

Blog Entries
    Mr. Black, it's you who should be held in such high esteem
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Smile

Ha Ha...Mr Kiorionis you very funny man

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Always appreciated.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I must say I was a little surprised to see only 22 names on the PATRON OF THE SACRED ART list, out of 457 members...and yes there are some anonymous ones too.
    Many of the names on that list has donated more than one time (as you have). As for anonymous there is actually only two.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    THANKS TO ALCHEMY FORUMS

We don't think much about spending some dollars on books or lab ware, but to
    donate dollars to Alchemy Forums I believe is an investment in knowledge
    and support.
    I whole heartedly agree. This forum is/has been invaluable for me already and I knew that for me, for the 2 months I've been a member, there was more than enough help that I received from the forum that it was worth the donation.

To all the members out there, it's not fun being the owner of a forum where you have to keep up-to-date with the latest forum updates, security patches, things that don't work, new vulnerabilities that require ongoing vigilance. Remember, dev is doing this out of the goodness of his heart and not for fame or glory (are you dev? )

A small donation from each of the members could help dev out maybe hire a bonafide forum admin that can make thread subscription work just sayin' or add more features or maybe more space for pics. Then maybe Andro could lose his reputation for being stingy with space If you guys will notice, even the emojis we get to use are limited... LOL

This is the one place we hang out where our minds and souls are aligned (IMHO) so in many ways this is not any different than if we were at a cafe, bar, restaurant, etc... where we wouldn't think twice to spend money on drinks or food so why not here to keep the forum going and get some better features and not let dev do most of the heavy lifting.

Blog Entries
    It is greatly appreciated. Without the members posting there would not be any forum.

Not sure why the subscription does not work. Will have to test it.

In the past we did some updates that were a disaster and the forum had to be rebuilt and one month of posts were lost. vBulletin's newer patches are shit, and I don't dare to touch anything. LOL. Besides the updates look like Twitter or Facebook and more social media-styled... so I think it is best to leave things as they are.

As for images there are plenty of free image hosting sites. Use those and then add images with the link from those sites. See this.

But it is true that I still have to pay license, + url fee and the tech people who do back-ups and host the forum on their servers. Regardless of the donations, seen overall since the forum began, it has always been an economic loss... although nothing spectacular. Just wanted to be very clear that I certainly don't make a profit. I could, but I think we all agree that it is nice to be somewhere without ads. So when I get a donation the gesture is always more important than the money. As it should be if the world was sane.

Finally what is most important for me is that EVERYONE feels they own this place together, and when you donate you kind of do. I see myself more of a guardian of this place and a cleaning lady, together with my co-cleaning ladies Andro and Mr. K.

There is a fair amount of cleaning to do at times that might not be noticeable... we act usually pretty fast when we see some dirt (double posts, typo, wrong section, trolls etc).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    Then maybe Andro could lose his reputation for being stingy with space
    I have absolutely nothing to do with the allotted quantity & size of attachments.

It's a suburban myth, and I'm going to catch whoever started it and see to it that justice is swiftly served

But if I catch this person and then they choose to make a donation, it will count as a one-time-only 'get out of jail' card. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    As for images there are plenty of free image hosting sites. Use those and then add images with the link from those sites. See this.
    It's Friday night here and I was just having fun at Andro's expense

All truth be told, Andro's point on why he doesn't want images uploaded to the forum makes a lot of sense. Images can load up the server which then slows things down plus to your point, there are too many free sites so why not leverage them.

Back to the original thread, yes the more of us that donate and stay engaged, the better off we all will be in the long run IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I see myself more of a guardian of this place and a cleaning lady, together with my co-cleaning ladies Andro and Mr. K.

Just so everyone knows, that's me on the left
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

+ Reply to Thread