Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Square & Compass

Can you read the old german handwriting of Saephiriel, Greg?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Can you read the old german handwriting of Saephiriel, Greg?
    A word here and there maybe.. Not much though. Sephariel is mentioned often enough when researching Franckenberg, but this is the only version of it I've ever found. I don't know if it was ever printed.

I'm not better with that Fraktur font though. It's almost completely opaque to me. Right up there with Arabic.

Also, there's no information on the provenance of the manuscript.. I don't know if its in Franckenberg's hand or is someone's copy. But I've found other manuscripts, similarly without provenance, that seem have a lot in common.. Perhaps even in the same hand.

I could not find printed versions either. But several MS show up on google book search, all similar (and complete) to your version.

Are you german?

Edit: Just read in your introduction that you are canadian. Nevermind!

Your translation in the other thread is quite good!

Blog Entries
    No, I'm english. I'm pretty good at teasing out meaningful machine translations if I have the text OCR'd.. There's only so much I can bare to transcribe by hand. For shorter passages I have some pretty good (friend) resources for german, french, hebrew.

Here's the link to the Sephariel manuscript.

Here's another one I was just talking about, a manuscript of his Oculus Siderius (which I do have in printed form)

they look so similiar, especially with the title page.. and what seems like numbered copies. The other manuscript Im thinking of.. I believe was within Manly P. Hall's collection.

A common version of Raphael is actually a 1913? photostat reprint of a manuscript copy of Raphael, by Christian Grumbach and dated 1729.. it includes two plates that Franckenberg is also well known for, but never belonged in that publication. It bares similarities to these two manuscripts as well.. But I've only seen the 1913 photostat so I can't be sure.

The reason I know about that, is a german article, "Abraham von Franckenberg und die Rosenkreuzer." by Carlos Gilly which I painstakingly translated to english.

Blog Entries
    Going back to the Original Post, I re-found this while looking for something completely different:

+ Reply to Thread