Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where to Begin?

Question Where to Begin?

Well Met and thank you for your time. I am new to alchemy. I have a few books, but alot of the stuff in them seems.... off. I am wondering if people have any suggestions for GOOD alchemy books, as well as a small list of equipment i should acquire. I have Very little intrest in Metals, and mostly interested in the Herbs, TCM, and there other uses.

I am currently looking for a Suribachi to use. Aside from that what else should i get?

Thank you again for your time in helping a complete newbie.

Blog Entries
    Hi JDuncan, and welcome to Alchemy Forums!

Most of the questions you are asking are probably answered all over the various sections of this forum.

There are threads about recommended reading materials for various purposes, threads about plant/herbal works, threads about lab equipment and much more.

I strongly encourage you to browse the forums for a while to get the general vibe, and to zero in on threads/topics of particular interest to you.

If after all that you still can't find what you're looking for - you can always start a discussion after you have your mind more or less set on what it is that you wish to work on.

i was hoping that maybe there was a newbie post rather then having to browse 1000+ topics :S all good though. Thank you for the fast reply.

Blog Entries
    Greetings JDuncan
    Welcome to alchemy forums!

Here's an old thread with a link to what I think is a good beginner's plant alchemy.
    http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...-plant-alchemy

Enjoy!
    solomon

ps - for most plant alchemy, you will find it under "Spagyrics" section.
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

Here is my thread how you can build a decent equipment in your kitchen without any expense.

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...-for-neophytes

Blog Entries
    I started with the book "Real Alchemy" by Robert Bartlett. It describes basic spagyrics and much more. It is not so accurate but I still refer to it. (I find other books even more inaccurate, so ...)

Where to start?

I have seen the various threads introducing Alchemy to people, but I would like to know in your opinion what you feel is the perfect starting point to study for a budding Alchemist?

I am keen to start my studies but overwhelmed at the amount of information there is, I tend to throw my self into studies taking on way too much at a single time, if you could advice me and offer guidance on getting started I will be eternally grateful for your kindness.

regards
    scott

Blog Entries

Persistence

Quote Originally Posted by Transmutation2 View Post
    . . . I would like to know in your opinion what you feel is the perfect starting point to study for a budding Alchemist?
    Read the so-called 'modern classics'. But I mean read it seriously.
    Fr. Albertus' The Alchemist's Handbook

Junius' Spagyria
    Quote Originally Posted by Transmutation2 View Post
    . . . I tend to throw my self into studies taking on way too much at a single time, . . .
    Mania can be useful for doing intense sports. But alchemy is more about persistent stability. Put aside reading routine daily for, say, 45 minutes, then keep to it. It's very much like raising a baby, requires ongoing, constant nurturing!

Or, you might notice that the 'guardian' of this Art may throw you off, so within a few short years you'll be either dislodged from studying it or experienced too many defeat and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisztian View Post
    Read the so-called 'modern classics'. But I mean read it seriously.
    Fr. Albertus' The Alchemist's Handbook

Junius' Spagyria

Mania can be useful for doing intense sports. But alchemy is more about persistent stability. Put aside reading routine daily for, say, 45 minutes, then keep to it. It's very much like raising a baby, requires ongoing, constant nurturing!

Or, you might notice that the 'guardian' of this Art may throw you off, so within a few short years you'll be either dislodged from studying it or experienced too many defeat and move on.
    Thanks for the merge, handy thread!
    Im rather persistent so I would like to keep at it, I love to read and study. Im going to look into the suggestions in this thread pick some reading and some practical and go from there

Blog Entries
    "Real Alchemy" by Robert Bartlett.
    In retrospective (I worked with it years ago), this is one of the most important books to stay away from! (there are others)

Just my perspective, and surely there are/will be others. But almost nothing in that book actually works, save from maybe the most basic plant tinctures.

Go with the classics, I say. See Valuable Alchemical Texts.
    Last edited by Andro; 01-21-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: link fix

+ Reply to Thread